Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Grateful Dead Releases Huge-Ass Boxed Set

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Grateful Dead Releases Huge-Ass Boxed Set

"When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies.

GRATEFUL DEAD: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN will not available in stores or from any other online retailer - only at Dead.net. Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This Dead.net exclusive is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing all the shows (4 today!), a mighty fine selection of music, and much, much more right here. FREE STANDARD U.S. SHIPPING ON PRE–ORDERS ONLY.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will also see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
    Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden,
    Last edited by JKL2000; 06-02-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Interesting how they consider all the value to be in the music, not the package except for $100.

It's only $799.98, not $800!!!!!!

Now if only they would release this on vinyl, which each side pressed at 45 rpm.....

Not another one! I wonder which shows will be on there, particularly from the 67-74 era.

How much for just the "highlights" package??

I think it's just 2 disks, so can't be much.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I, for one, am disappointed that the name of the box is not actually "Huge-Ass".

That price is wrong: it's actually $699, not $799. Still, a hefty increase over the similarly gargantuan Europe 72 box.

And the highlights package is four discs, not two.

Akustica - the 4-disc set is 44.98.

Ordered.

I still haven't made it through the last box, or the last 3 Dave's Picks. I'm nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Autobuy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That price is wrong: it's actually $699, not $799. Still, a hefty increase over the similarly gargantuan Europe 72 box.
    Good deal, the price has dropped $100 in the time it took for me read about 6 posts. Maybe in the next few days, it will drop another $400 and then I might be willing to buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I, for one, am disappointed that the name of the box is not actually "Huge-Ass".
    I'll probably have to ask a moderator to change the title of the thread at some point, so come September those who ordered can write of their furtive fondlings.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Free shipping!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Ordered!

Cheaper than hanging around the parking lot of Soldier Field next month.

Here's the list of shows included in the set:

1966 - 7/3, Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
    1967 - 11/10, Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA
    1968 - 10/20, Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA
    1969 - 2/22, The Dream Bowl, Vallejo, CA
    1970 - 4/15, Winterland, San Francisco, CA
    1971 - 3/18, Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO
    1972 - 9/24, Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT
    1973 - 11/14, San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, CA
    1974 - 9/18, Parc des Expositions, Dijon, France
    1975 - 9/28, Lindley Meadows, Golden gate Park, San Francisco, CA
    1976 - 10/3, Cobo Arena, Detroit, MI
    1977 - 4/25, Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ
    1978 - 5/14, Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI
    1979 - 10/27, Cape Cod Coliseum, South Yarmouth, MA
    1980 - 11/28, Lakeland Civic Center, Lakeland, FL
    1981 - 5/16, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
    1982 - 7/31, Manor Downs, Austin, TX
    1983 - 10/21, The Centrum, Worchester, MA
    1984 - 10/12, Augusta Civic Center, Augusta, ME
    1985 - 6/24, River Bend Music Center, Cincinnati, OH
    1986 - 5/3, Cal Expo Amphitheater, Sacramento, CA
    1987 - 9/18, Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY
    1988 - 7/3, Oxford Plains Speedway, Oxford, ME
    1989 - 10/26, Miami Arena, Miami, FL
    1990 - 10/27, Zenith, Paris, France
    1991 - 9/10, Madison Square Garden, NY, NY
    1992 - 3/20, Copps Coliseum, Ontario, Canada
    1993 - 3/27, Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
    1994 - 10/1, Boston Garden, Boston, MA
    1995 - 2/21, Delta Center, Salt Lake City, UT

Ordered (how could I not?) and, while not free shipping to Canada, they knocked over $40 off thr $60+ shipping cost at a checkout...which was both nice and unexpected.

So. 30 previously unreleased shows totalling 73+ hours on 80 CDs, one from every year? September cannot come soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Ordered.

I still haven't made it through the last box, or the last 3 Dave's Picks. I'm nuts.
    Nice to know I'm not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Except this is 30 shows instead of 22... And I suspect packaging will be improved. Just the nearly 300-page book sounds special. I didn't get the original European Tour box...came in too late so only have the 'show only' box....is the booklet that came with athe origin box as extensive/impressive? After all, with only 6500 boxes and an additional 1000 USB sticks, when you consider the price to pay someone one to write that much verbiage, it makes the price make more sense.

Anyway, I'm good with it...probably the last big Dead box so going out in style...
    Last edited by jkelman; 06-03-2015 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Just the nearly 300-page book sounds special. I didn't get the original European Tour box...came in too late so only have the 'show only' box....is the booklet that came with athe origin box as extensive/impressive?
    The booklet with the Europe '72 box is not nearly as impressive as this one. After all, it's only a booklet as opposed to a book. Actually, the Europe '72 box came with two small booklets, one was hardcover. Nice enough but this new box sounds like it will dwarf that box in all respects. I'm not at all looking forward to ripping 80 CDs to my hard drive for this new box! But since the USB stick is selling for the same price, I'd rather have the physical copies handy as well.

Eight discs of having to listen to Donna Godchaux trying to be Janis Joplin. That's just cruel.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Eight discs of having to listen to Donna Godchaux trying to be Janis Joplin. That's just cruel.
    It's really only a couple runes where she gets to be annoyingly bad. And she is

But the idea of shows from some years I've little representation what madevthisan auto buy

....well that and the fact that, with the Allmans now over and my having all the recent tours and/or Beacon runs I want, leaves some jonesing for more Dead back on the front burner....