Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zappa - Drowning Witch

chalkpie

chalkpie
    ^ How incredible is Walt Fowler's flugal tone alone, not to mention his choice of notes and phrasing in that 5 groove? That is masterful playing right there lads.

PS - you gotta love how Thunes and Wackerman kick into that free bebop groove at 4:25 like it was scored out on paper Love it.

That is a great f*ing solo.

Latest FZ news :
    "Dear People of Earth,
    Just in time for FZ’s half birthday we are pleased to confirm that we WILL commence shipping Dance Me This the week of the Summer Solstice. Until then, the pre-order shall remain in effect.
    And let’s also talk about ZAPPA 101: 200 MOTELS, Conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen, performed at Disney Hall by the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Master Chorale.
    And yes. There will be Vinyl.
    And we hope to see you at the Movies!
    xxx,

the barfies"

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat}
    [I
    ZAPPA 101: 200 MOTELS[/I], Conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen, performed at Disney Hall by the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Master Chorale.

Wow, the first time the ZFT was actually on time for something?

*for some reason the 88 band never clicked for me
    I have Broadway and Make Jazz Noise
    Guess its time to revisit

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Latest FZ news :
    "Dear People of Earth,
    Just in time for FZ’s half birthday we are pleased to confirm that we WILL commence shipping Dance Me This the week of the Summer Solstice. Until then, the pre-order shall remain in effect.
    And let’s also talk about ZAPPA 101: 200 MOTELS, Conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen, performed at Disney Hall by the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Master Chorale.
    And yes. There will be Vinyl.
    And we hope to see you at the Movies!
    xxx,

the barfies"
    I like movies... especially ones that have a venue called The Roxy! Ugh.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    *for some reason the 88 band never clicked for me
    I have Broadway and Make Jazz Noise
    Guess its time to revisit
    Disc 2:

The Black Page (new age version) 6:46
    T'Mershi Duween 1:42
    Dupree's Paradise 8:34
    City Of Tiny Lights 8:01
    Royal March From "L'Histoire Du Soldat" (Stravinsky) 1:00
    Theme From The Bartok Piano Concerto #3 (Bartók) 0:43
    Sinister Footwear 2nd mvt. 6:39
    Stevie's Spanking 4:25
    Alien Orifice 4:15
    Cruisin' For Burgers 8:27
    Advance Romance 7:43
    Strictly Genteel 6:36

That is an absolute stunning setlist. The only two tracks that I have grown a bit tired of over the years would be "Spanking" and "Romance", but they both contain great guitar solos. The rest of this disc are just pure diamonds in every way imaginable. I have heard this album so many times, its ridiculous. This album is part of my DNA now, and I cannot imagine life without it. Do I like it? Yeah, there is a good chance.

The 88 band was killer. I would LOVE to hear an 'untweezed', warts 'n all, archival release from that band.

Want to appreciate this band even more? Check out Mike Keneally's tour diaries ...

http://www.keneally.com/archive/1988/1988.html

I was just looking around and realized I used to have Drowning Witch on cassette...long gone...and I don't have it on CD. Will have to fix that.
    <sig out of order>

I have a glossy xtra large tour program of the Broadway The Hard Way tour
    Picture 6.jpg

I didn't realize what I was seeing in '88 when I saw Frank in Cleveland. That band could play everything with so much precision - it was ridiculous. Like the '74 band. Anyway - I was in 9th grade then and cant remember too much of it but I have a nice video from the show so I'm not totally lost.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    MK didn't even need to tell that to me - I already knew it

It certainly is the most technical, but then again, don't take my "Broadway the Hard Way" or "Best Band" away from me. In my book they are all incredible and very different considering its the same band on the same nights!
    It's been about a million years since I've heard Broadway The Hard Way, but I do agree there's great stuff on Best Band You've Never Heard In Your Life. As usual, the satire bits get a bit tiring, in my view, but some of the instrumentals are nice, and you gotta love that version of Ring Of Fire (damn, did we really come this close to Frank and Johnny singing together?!). For that matter, I even kinda like Purple Haze/Sunshine Of Your Love sequence that opens disc two. And how can you not love the entire horn section playing Page's original solo, note for note, on Stairway To Heaven (I recall Mike telling a funny story of how that happened, too).

When Broadway The Hard Way came out, I bought it on cassette (if I remember correctly, at first, it didn't come out on CD, just on LP and cassette, or at least, for whatever reason, Wax Stax didn't have the CD at first). I actually wrote a review of it for my 10th grade journalism class, which the teacher liked enough to put in the school paper. I didn't know nearly as much about Frank's music (or any music, for that matter) as I thought I did at the time, so I'm kinda embarrassed by some of the things I put in that review. I think my main conclusion was it was a nice record, but I wished there had been more guitar solos. And I don't think I really got what some of the songs were actually about (eg Rhymin' Man and Planet Of Baritone Women).

Now, I'd probably ask for more instrumentals in general. But as time has proven, apparently Frank intended to divide up the music played on that tour for different releases: new songs on Broadway..., instrumental oriented stuff on Make A Jazz Noise...., and older vocal material (and a few covers) on

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    When Broadway The Hard Way came out, I bought it on cassette (if I remember correctly, at first, it didn't come out on CD, just on LP and cassette, or at least, for whatever reason, Wax Stax didn't have the CD at first).
    You're correct; the CD didn't come out until some time after the vinyl and cassette--so we had time to get used to the LP configuration before getting hit with the bonus tracks and rejiggered track order.

Yeah, I certainly adore the Best Band album as well!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Yeah, I certainly adore the Best Band album as well!
    Hey Mike, good to see you 'round here again – I'd been off for a while. A question I've always meant to ask you (and I'm sorry in advance if you've answered this a million times): dyou have a favorite Zappa band apart from the '88 group? It's hard not to say the Roxy lineup, and I probably would, but I've always thought that the '77 group (Bozzio/Mann/O'Hearn/Wolf/Mars/Belew) got underrated for having been mostly on "song-song" albums. Those muhfuckers were insane. And the George Duke/Erroneous/Aynsley (Aynsley! I could froth all day about Aynsley)/Ian U./Marquez bands of '72 were tremendous as well.

^ How incredible is Walt Fowler's flugal tone alone, not to mention his choice of notes and phrasing in that 5 groove? That is masterful playing right there lads.

PS - you gotta love how Thunes and Wackerman kick into that free bebop groove at 4:25 like it was scored out on paper Love it.
    Walt Fowler is such a bad motherfucker, and he gets slept on. My closest friend in high school was a jazz trumpet player who thought, at first, that Zappa was "comedy music," but when I played him Walt's solo on the '88 "Black Napkins," he went, Ohhhhhh shit.

Ah, I always forget that the "Fire and Chains" guitar sample comes in at the end of that "Dupree's," and I love the fills Chad Wackerman plays trying to fit the sample to a 3/4 gospel groove.

I had never heard jazz Noise. it's now on my list.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I had never heard jazz Noise. it's now on my list.
    Dude - absolutely one of my favorite live albums ever by anybody. 11/10. A++++

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by mjudge View Post
    Ah, I always forget that the "Fire and Chains" guitar sample comes in at the end of that "Dupree's," and I love the fills Chad Wackerman plays trying to fit the sample to a 3/4 gospel groove.
    Oh yeah brother!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by mjudge View Post
    Walt Fowler is such a bad motherfucker, and he gets slept on. My closest friend in high school was a jazz trumpet player who thought, at first, that Zappa was "comedy music," but when I played him Walt's solo on the '88 "Black Napkins," he went, Ohhhhhh shit.
    When I hear that solo (and others), I often imagine how difficult it must have been blowing in front of that particular band - with Frank watching - and the other guys. Yikes. That sounds anxiety inducing to me. Screw the audience - there had to have been some serious pressure to not stink up the joint. Basically a band of 12 virtuosi. There is only one person here that could provide some insight if he was so inclined

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wacko-man was still electronic drum-less at this point, yeah? I think that was the case with "Utopia" as well, and then things went south (sonically) on "Thing-Fish" and "Them or Us". Boo.
    Electronic drums were only employed during the 1984 tour (Does Humor Belong in Music?) replacing the toms - Chad still used acoustic snare, kick and cymbals. full acoustic drums were used for Them or Us and Thing Fish. The engineers said they were trying to get the biggest acoustic drum sound possible at the time, which they said was best achieved on Man From Utopia.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    The 88 band was killer. I would LOVE to hear an 'untweezed', warts 'n all, archival release from that band.
    There are a couple dozen or so streaming right here:

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/alpha/f.html
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"