Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
to be honest, and I haven't really liked anything that Morse has done since - especially as it seems that every album he makes now has to be an even grander, bigger, more bloated statement than the one that went before it (complete with special edition featuring 1000-page illustrated lyric book, DVD-Dolby 9.1 mix, special edition bonus cd with extra tracks featuring numerous pointless Pink Floyd covers and Neal farting in the bath with Mike Portnoy. etc...). Dull, quite frankly, and epitomizing a lot of what I dislike about modern prog.
To each his own, but I don't agree with this at all. To the comment about every album needing to be bigger and more bloated, I guess I understand that when it comes to albums like 'Sola Scriptura' or '?'. That certainly hasn't been the case overall though with Neal's solo efforts and his last two in particular have been more lighthearted, focused and accessible. As for the Special Editions, personally, I love them. The cover versions are fun and they are there if you want them. One thing to keep in mind is that though you may find the practice dull,, the modern day special edition is not an ego driven thing. It is a reflection of the current music industry and the artists release them to try and combat downloading. It's an attempt to get people to buy the album for the special packaging, bonus material, etc. it's fair to not like it, but in my opinion, tough to criticize an artist for wanting to sell their work any which way they can.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but with Neal, it just seems to me that there are a lot of generalities thrown about. (I haven't listened in years but he sucks now, it all sounds the same, etc). I do get that Neal has a sound and there is repetition from time to time. That said, the same could be said about most artists and, in fairness, Neal does change it up by releasing pop, folk and other styles of albums. It's the songwriting that matters most. Several times over the last few years on PE, I have asked people who have thrown the sameness accusation at Neal to give me an example of an established band or artist that significantly changes their sound or style from album to album. To date, I have never received a single response to that question.

As for 'Snow', I like it. It is somewhat inconsistent but ithe album does contain some of the band's best material. Perhaps not the finest Spock's Beard album but entertaining nonetheless.