Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: STEVE HACKETT: "Premonitions - The Charisma Recordings" box due in October

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I plunked down the $1.29 and grabbed "Seven Of Cups" from iTunes because I was just too curious... kind of a disappointment. I had convinced myself it must be a track from the Acolyte sessions (based on the name) but it turns out it's a leftover from the PDT sessions, and really not very 'Hackett', truth be told. Oh well!
    Thanks for the warning. I also assumed it was an Acolyte leftover.

Couldn't afford the box set, but I'll be looking forward to getting the remixed Please Don't Touch and Spectral Mornings when they get issued separately.

I did however also grab Seven of Cups from iTunes and absolutely loved it! Gorgeous little instrumental. Although were it not for that little section of the Virgin and the Gypsy I don't think I'd have ever placed it as a Hackett piece.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Couldn't afford the box set, but I'll be looking forward to getting the remixed Please Don't Touch and Spectral Mornings when they get issued separately.

I did however also grab Seven of Cups from iTunes and absolutely loved it! Gorgeous little instrumental. Although were it not for that little section of the Virgin and the Gypsy I don't think I'd have ever placed it as a Hackett piece.

Matt.
    yeah I heard it too---and think it sorta sounds like Focus than Hackett but it is sweet.

plus Seven of Cups has Chester on drums on it: always a 'plus' imo!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Looks like I missed out on this box unless I want to remortgage my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Looks like I missed out on this box unless I want to remortgage my house.
    Still available at the original price from amazon.co.uk.

So are all the live sets in the box previously unreleased?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Still available at the original price from amazon.co.uk.
    And even cheaper at Amazon.it - after it removes vat. Just 80€ + 14€ to Canada so suspect similar to the USA, so just a little over $100 USD...which ain't bad for the number of discs.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    And even cheaper at Amazon.it - after it removes vat. Just 80€ + 14€ to Canada so suspect similar to the USA, so just a little over $100 USD...which ain't bad for the number of discs.
    I just now am checking into this thread.. what gives with Amazon offering the full box 14 disc for $100 but then they show mp3 for $56.. then when you look at the fine details.. it's only 10 disc.. why not offer the whole 14 disc via mp3? They did the same thing with Tony Banks boxset.. I believe they left the 4th disc off.. Of course now they don't offer it in mp3 format.. but it was a great price..
    Last edited by happytheman; 12-16-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I just now am checking into this thread.. what gives with Amazon offering the full box 14 disc for $100 but then they show mp3 for $56.. then when you look at the fine details.. it's only 10 disc.. why not offer the whole 14 disc via mp3? They did the same thing with Tony Banks boxset.. I believe they left the 4th disc off.. Of course now they don't offer it in mp3 format.. but it was a great price..
    Four of the discs are DVDs.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Four of the discs are DVDs.
    That answers that question.. ooops.. guess I didn't do my research before posting..

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Can anyone advise if there are any region restrictions with the DVDs? In other words, are they NTSC or PAL?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Because the DVDs are surround sound and high res stereo remixes (two of them anyway; two are, because original multitracks couldn't be found, done using the "up-surround" software). So you won't get surround sound and certainly not the high res...which may not matter to you, but to folks like me, they absolutely do. And yes, they are NTSC (not sure if that matters when it comes to DVD-A - does it?)

Cheers!
    John

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Finally digging into the GORGEOUS (if slightly flawed) Hackett set. What? Sally Oldfield is Mike Rutherford's sister? I had no idea! Why did no one tell me this? At the very least it means Genesis gets a sweet deal on air travel.

Seems that 3 of these albums are getting deluxe sets with DVDs in May- presumably these will have the 5.1 mixes included there too. I suppose the success of this set led them to believe they could launch deluxe editions of them separately:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spectral-Mor...4766308&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Please-Dont-...4766376&sr=1-3
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defector-Ste...4766376&sr=1-6

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Seems that 3 of these albums are getting deluxe sets with DVDs in May- presumably these will have the 5.1 mixes included there too. I suppose the success of this set led them to believe they could launch deluxe editions of them separately:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spectral-Mor...4766308&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Please-Dont-...4766376&sr=1-3
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defector-Ste...4766376&sr=1-6
    Wow! I THINK I'm happy with the remasters I already have, and the big set, but thanks for the info, didn't know!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-06-2016 at 09:01 AM.

^I would imagine it's the same as what's in the box, just mass-marketed.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I would imagine it's the same as what's in the box, just mass-marketed.
    But what's in the box is not complete albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Finally digging into the GORGEOUS (if slightly flawed) Hackett set. What? Sally Oldfield is Mike Rutherford's sister? I had no idea! Why did no one tell me this? At the very least it means Genesis gets a sweet deal on air travel.
    Does it really say that in the box? Pretty silly error to make, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Does it really say that in the box? Pretty silly error to make, I'd say.
    You know, it might say "Sally Oldfield, Mike's sister," and I thought they meant Mike Rutherford because I was reading about Genesis. I have to check. I actually assumed Sally was Mike Oldfield's wife - I really didn't know. Anyway, never mind!

Mike Oldfield has a sister (Sally Oldfield) and a brother (Terry Oldfield) - they both are musicians and have albums of their own. --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Mike Oldfield has a sister (Sally Oldfield) and a brother (Terry Oldfield) - they both are musicians and have albums of their own. --Peter
    Sally and Mike even had a band together: The Sallyangie

You know, it might say "Sally Oldfield, Mike's sister," and I thought they meant Mike Rutherford because I was reading about Genesis. I have to check. I actually assumed Sally was Mike Oldfield's wife - I really didn't know. Anyway, never mind!
    I just checked - it's as I said above. Seems a bit offensive to Sally Oldfield. As if everyone will know of Mike Oldfield but not her. Of course, that's undoubtedly the case, but still...

Seems a bit offensive to Sally Oldfield. As if everyone will know of Mike Oldfield but not her.
    Well, you didn't.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well, you didn't.
    I knew of her, I just thought she was his wife.