Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early Floyd 'awful' - at Grantchester Meadows, I beg to differ

Their 1966 recordings (Interstellar Overdrive and Nick's Boogie) were both long jams. They were not as composed as the AHM suite or Echoes but have a similar feel to the jams that make up WYWH and Animals. Saucerful..., Set the Controls..., Astronomy Domine and Embryo were great early jams as well. The shorter Syd tunes were a different animal but Pink Floyd did not essentially change when it came to their longer Space Rock jamming style. Echoes, Dogs, Sheep and SOYCD are 'assembled jam parts' at their core.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Essentially, pre-Meddle and post-Meddle Floyd are two completely different bands. The leap that Darkside made (via Meddle and Obscured) from Atom Heart in 2 years is simply astounding. My main gripe as per the original post is that the band just seem to outright dismiss this entire period.

Aside from Ummagumma and Atom Heart, the wealth and originality of output from the band during the 69-70 period is simply astonishing, especially considering the volume of touring they were doing.

* The More Soundtrack
    * Zabriskie Point sessions (a mountain of unreleased material)
    * The Man / The Journey suite (prototype darkside)
    * The Massed Gadgets of Auximines concerts (first attempts at multi-media shows by perhaps any band)
    * Experimental work with Geesin
    * The Body Soundtrack
    * Also a huge range of styles in from pastoral, rock, country, ambient, experimental etc..etc...
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    ^ Agreed. They hadn't yet found their direction.
    I disagree. For me "Saucerful" was a glimpse of totally new directions in music -- "Saucerrful" and "Pompei" -- which I wish they'd continued to pursue. I can understand why they didn't -- NO COMMERCIAL POTENTIAL -- but the wilderness they were homesteading really hasn't been settled even now.

I don't see any difference between 1966s Interstellar Overdrive, 1971s Echoes (except that it's a few Interstellar type jams segued together) and 1975s SOYCD (again, just a few Interstellar type jams segued together) and 1977s Animals album (same jam type construction again)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The artists who write any music, i am guessing, are always looking to improve on their last effort. Over the years I have heard each of the individual band members being critical of their early work. It still happens today. Steven Wilson for example is critical of his early work. No one can ever view things fully from the artists perspective.

But as a mere listener I love their early music. I have done for well over 40 years and will continue to do so. Actually there is very little of Pink Floyds music, in all their guises, that I have never failed to enjoy.

Good to read you got around Granchester. So close to Cambridge and a major motorway and yet you could be in a different place altogether. So many pubs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I pull out the BBC sessions from '70 and '71

Now THOSE need to be officially released.

That version of "Embryo" is one of my all-time top 5 PF tracks, and it's never even been officially released.
    Which version of Embryo? The one from 70, or the one from 71?

The version of Fat Old Sun from 71, with the extended guitar and organ solos, I think is another one that should be issued legitimate. And from 70, there's that great Green Is The Colour/Careful With That Axe Eugene segue.

I really wish they'd issue the KQED video. I still maintain it's way better than the Pompeii movie.

It's too bad they didn't do a proper double live album during this era. I think Ummagumma does a bad job at representing the band's onstage sound. And I don't care what Roger, Nick or anyone else may have thought, then or now, Pink Floyd onstage circa 1969-1972 was very different from the studio recordings and worthy of official commemoration. They may have been embarrassed about continuing to play Embryo, Careful With That Axe Eugene, Saucerful Of Secrets, etc, but they sure did make them interesting to hear in concert with all the ad libbing and improv.

And while I realize it's outside the era being discussed in this thread, I also wish they had done a live album or a concert film off the 1977 tour. Even if they had to make a triple LP, they totally burned on that tour, and some of the jamming was pretty awesome too.

Which version of Embryo? The one from 70, or the one from 71?

The one that's on the same recording with Atom Heart Mother. Must be 1970.

My RoIO doesn't have the dates.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

The approach of Roger and Nick is seemingly reminiscent of that of Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins: "if our early music had been any good it would have sold very well". Reminding them of "Atom Heart Mother" or "Foxtrot" is like pulling goofy photos from their school days and exclaiming how great they were.

Nobody would be happy if he/she got repeatedly nagged about best forgotten amateurish unpolished pretentious juvenile activity.

So please STOP, all of you!

Last edited by Jay.Dee; 06-02-2015 at 06:05 PM.