Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High fantasy (non-Tolkien) in prog?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

High fantasy (non-Tolkien) in prog?

I began reading the high fantasy classic "The King of Elfland's Daughter" by Lord Dunsany this weekend and her name (Lirazel) immediately made me think of the song by the same name on Glass Hammer's masterpiece "The Inconsolable Secret", though I have not gone back to that work to see if it references Dunsany at all; I know Steve Babb has written his own "epic poetry" and is is a fan of Dunsany's work, and Glass Hammer did "Perelandra" (CS Lewis). Hackett's "Narnia" is also based on Lewis' work. Jordan Ruddess based an album iirc on Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" (which I have not read, but it is high fantasy, yes?) Other non-Tolkien high fantasy in prog?

Gentle Giant: some inspiration from Francois Rabelais: Gargantua & Pantagruel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargantua_and_Pantagruel

Michael Moorcock did a lot of stuff with his own band The Deep Fix, Hawkind and Blue Öyster Cult.

Julian Jay Savarin's Albums where based on his own books.

(Hmm, wasn't there a thread about this not long ago? Anyways...)

The Michael Moorcock - Hawkwind Elric stuff (Warrior on the Edge of Time) comes immediately to mind.

Michael Arkenstone (I know, not generally considered prog but this stuff is crossover IMO) produced a couple albums (Quest of the Dream Warrior, Return of the Guardians) in collaboration with Mercedes Lackey.

There are other examples...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

"Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Bob Johnson & Peter Knight's King Of Elfland's Daughter album from 1977 is a hoot. Featuring Mary Hopkin, P.P. Arnold, Christopher Lee, Chris Farlowe, Alexis Korner & Derek Brimstone on vocals and the likes of Chris Spedding, Ray Cooper, Herbie Flowers et al on the backing tracks, it's folk rockin' camp genius.

Maryson, wrote several books and made 2 CD's to go with the first 2 books.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Julian Jay Savarin's Albums where based on his own books.
    And quite elegantly so, I'd say.

Grobschnitt's Rockpommel's Land was mock fantasy, while Fruupp made "serious" fantasy efforts that would make anything 'big six' pale rather positively (although I love a track like "Gormenghast").
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Other non-Tolkien high fantasy in prog?
    , or does it have to be based on an actual book?

Bjørn Lynne did a couple of albums based on the Timura Trilogy by Allan Cole.
    The Gods Awaken, Wolf of the Gods, and Wizard of the Winds.

Of the three The Gods Awaken, is proggiest IMHO.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Just a thought - Kevin Anderson's Terra Incognita trilogy has companion albums for the first two volumes. One is Pompy Kansas-like fun, the other is more prog metal. Interestingly, Steve Walsh appears at the latter.

He also wrote the novel version of Clockwork angels, which is a decent read.

Suspended
    "The War of the Worlds", obviously.

Also if you count mythology as fantasy, David Bedford's albums "The Odyssey" and "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner".

For that matter, many Genesis songs are based on mythology.

H P Lovecraft (the band) based much of their stuff on stories by the author of the same name.
    Then there is a certain album by the Alan Parsons Project.

What is "high fantasy" anyway, as opposed to just "fantasy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Maryson, wrote several books and made 2 CD's to go with the first 2 books.
    Ah yes. Whatever happened to that guy? He was on a bit of a roll there for a while.'

What is "high fantasy" anyway, as opposed to just "fantasy"?
    According to Wikipedia:

High fantasy is defined as fantasy fiction set in an alternative, fictional ("secondary") world, rather than the real, or "primary" world. The secondary world is usually internally consistent, but its rules differ from those of the primary world. By contrast, low fantasy is characterized by being set in the primary, or "real" world, or a rational and familiar fictional world, with the inclusion of magical elements.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And quite elegantly so, I'd say.

Grobschnitt's Rockpommel's Land was mock fantasy, while Fruupp made "serious" fantasy efforts that would make anything 'big six' pale rather positively (although I love a track like "Gormenghast").
    I loved that book! And I have Rockpommel's Land, one of my favorite Grobschnitt albums (with it's Dean-style trappings); is there in fact a track called "Gormenghast" on it? (Also watched the BBC series, quite good but "not as good as the book" to quote the Tangent!) Or if not there...where?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Ah yes. Whatever happened to that guy? He was on a bit of a roll there for a while.'
    Maryson a.k.a. Wim Stolk died a few years ago. I had the pleasure to meet him right after he wrote his first novel.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._J._Maryson

Jordan Ruddess based an album iirc on Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" (which I have not read, but it is high fantasy, yes?)
    Actually, it was Robert Berry who did the Wheel Of Time CD.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    "
    For that matter, many Genesis songs are based on mythology.
    "A Trick of the Tail" was inspired by William Golding's "The Inheritors".
    Probably can't categorize it as high fantasy though.

Lennon's "I Am the Walrus" is of course based on Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking-Glass".
    Last edited by Sirius; 05-28-2015 at 05:37 PM.

I loved that book! And I have Rockpommel's Land, one of my favorite Grobschnitt albums (with it's Dean-style trappings); is there in fact a track called "Gormenghast" on it? (Also watched the BBC series, quite good but "not as good as the book" to quote the Tangent!) Or if not there...where?
    "Gormenghast" is a song by Fruupp from their 'Modern Masquerades' album.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Thanks for the info. Of course, I menat to refer to Peake's masterpiece as "books" although I found the original trilogy in a one-volume compilation used. Also reminded me I still have the posthumous volume completed by Peake's widow to get to...

I began reading the high fantasy classic "The King of Elfland's Daughter" by Lord Dunsany this weekend and her name (Lirazel) immediately made me think of the song by the same name on Glass Hammer's masterpiece "The Inconsolable Secret", though I have not gone back to that work to see if it references Dunsany at all; I know Steve Babb has written his own "epic poetry" and is is a fan of Dunsany's work, and Glass Hammer did "Perelandra" (CS Lewis). Hackett's "Narnia" is also based on Lewis' work. Jordan Ruddess based an album iirc on Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" (which I have not read, but it is high fantasy, yes?) Other non-Tolkien high fantasy in prog?
    http://www.amazon.com/Lay-Lirazel-St...lay+of+lirazel Our Lirazel was certainly named after Lord Dunsany's character. The story is different of course. We have an audio book version, ebook and print version if you'd like to check it out. Thanks!

@Rickawakeman: The rest of your life will be happier if you don't read Maeve Gilmore's "Titus Awakes." I just finished it (review on the SF group "Book Reviews" discussion), and it was abhominable.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    See also: Split Enz with “Titus.”

I agree with rickawakeman with regards to the BBC miniseries. Won’t supplant the book in my memories, but a decent enough interpretation of the material. And Neve McIntosh was perfect as Lady Fuchsia!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

A couple bands come to mind.

Mandalaband dreamed up their own epic on this album ~

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4921

Rhapsody of Fire is a power metal band with an expansive high fantasy story that plays out over multiple albums ~

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1268

Although I haven't heard it there is Robert Berry's "the wheel of time" based on Robert Jordans book of the same name.

There's also the band Roswell Six who put out Terra Incognita based on novels by Kevin Anderson.

Rick's "Journey to the center of the earth" is a rather obvious one but worth mentioning. I'm glad someone mentioned Olias too even though it was not a book.