Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Yes logo?

Your favorite Yes logo?

A Just-For-Kicks Yes thread
    Roger Dean, as everyone knows, changed up the appearance of the Yes logo with each album. Do you have a favorite? Maybe a top 3?

For me, I really like what he did for the Union album. Gorgeous color scheme.
    I love looking at the one for Drama, which I believe was the 1st one with the "disconnected" letters. That, combined with the metallic surface produced a great effect.
    Relayer is also appealing to me. I don't think he's ever done "earth colors' again since.

Honorables

Fly From Here- Very cool scale design!
    Going For The One - Love the minimal approach.

*Never* liked the one for The Ladder. I remember being nervous that they'd permanently adopt that one.
    & I suspect few like the one for Talk.

I like the classic one better then the union square / stick logo

The Topographic or Relayer color schemes for me

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    A Just-For-Kicks Yes thread
    Roger Dean, as everyone knows, changed up the appearance of the Yes logo with each album. Do you have a favorite? Maybe a top 3?

For me, I really like what he did for the Union album. Gorgeous color scheme.
    I love looking at the one for Drama, which I believe was the 1st one with the "disconnected" letters. That, combined with the metallic surface produced a great effect.
    Relayer is also appealing to me. I don't think he's ever done "earth colors' again since.

Honorables

Fly From Here- Very cool scale design!
    Going For The One - Love the minimal approach.

*Never* liked the one for The Ladder. I remember being nervous that they'd permanently adopt that one.
    & I suspect few like the one for Talk.
    he did? I only count two logos - the classic Bubble one and the Yesyears one.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    he did? I only count two logos - the classic Bubble one and the Yesyears one.
    There is the Peter Max "Talk" one too

The Ladder uses the Union one

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

And i almost forgot the one from the first album as well

BG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    There is the Peter Max "Talk" one too

The Ladder uses the Union one

BG
    yep, of course, but I thought OP was just talking about Roger Dean but you are right. Funny story about Peter Max - went to try and get some signatures from him at an Art Gallery showing years back. He saw my Talk Vinyl LP and told me he's sign everything else I had (few "Talk" singles basically) but only if I gave him the Talk LP cover. Apparently, he'd never seen it before. He didn't even want the record inside, just the sleeve. It was a fair trade. To this day, I still have the Talk LP w/o the sleeve in my collection.

Yeah, my error. Not only Dean's. The Yes logos in general.

meimjustalawnmower
    I prefer the standard RD logo that is on most of the albums. The Peter Max logo looked like a little kid did it.

The chop is, IMHO, the most tastefully understated of them all; it gets my vote.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Dean's classic logo has been done in many different colour schemes over time, and in recent years he started adding bugs and turtles and what have you (not really a fan of those additions to be honest). I think my favourite - although it's the whole title, not just the Yes logo - is the one from Yesterdays (beautiful cover all 'round, actually). I know many don't like the Talk cover but I actually really like that logo as well. Very striking.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Love the Union logo, really, really like the Drama logo, and really enjoy the rest of the "original Dean logos."

I also like The Ladder logo, but agree that it's best that they didn't keep it.

The Peter Max logo is horrible. Bordering on Big Generator horrible.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The Peter Max logo is horrible. Bordering on Big Generator horrible.
    Worse, imo. And what's really bad is that you just know he could've done something really cool. Prolly the easiest buck he ever made.

I kind of like the Ladder-type of logo (though I've seen better versions/colours than that one)... Definitely a bit subtler, thabn the Dean logo...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I kind of like the Ladder-type of logo (though I've seen better versions/colours than that one)... Definitely a bit subtler, thabn the Dean logo...
    you do know that is also a Dean logo...

Yes logos and progressive trinkets

IMAG0034.jpg

BG

I once fantasized about the Relayer logo tattooed on my back, with a bit of the snake's tail going down my spine. That sort of detail would be way too expensive, but I might still do it on a much smaller scale.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

The Ladder one is the easiest to draw....

you do know that is also a Dean logo...
    I think I knew that once... before Alzheimer struck!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I always go for the classic 70's Dean logo. I love the cover artwork for The Ladder and wish it had the classic logo although what he did for that album isn't awful. The Peter Max logo is hideous, made even worse by his prominent signature. In fact, the cover art for the 3 "Yes-West" albums are abominable. There's nothing about them that invites you to check out the contents, let alone promise excursions into other-worldly realms like the Dean covers.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Fragile - Dean's formative Yes logo, it isn't the classic logo yet, it is much more angular still with a capital E and the long straight Y tail, but it looks exciting. I much prefer it to his classic logo.

Of the classic Dean logo I like Going For The One and Tormato the best, because like Fragile they are transparent outline logos only. I don't like the coloured logos, for example, I think Drama and Union are 2 of the ugliest of the classic Dean logo. Magnification was a nice return to form I thought. The less said about the Talk logo the better!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Close to the Edge, followed by the Union and Fly From Here variants. And when I refer to FFH, I'm talking about the full Quetzalcoatl, flying snake version on the back.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The Ladder one is the easiest to draw....
    You mean, re-draw, right?

Many people (not referring to you) think that, because a logo is simple, it was simple to create. Nothing could be further from the truth. I do logos all the time and they typically take around 20 hours or so, no matter how simple. That's why people who don't know any better raise their eyebrows when I tell them what my fee is. It's funny, because people don't think twice about hiring a furnace repairman or a mechanic for 90 bucks an hour. Yet, when it comes to something as important as their business image, they suddenly become cheapskates. That's why I find it unfortunate when bands spend all their time and effort into writing, performing and producing their art and then go el-cheapo on the album cover. Or, worse yet, their egos tell them they are designers and do it themselves.

Packaging is everything, my friends.

of all the variations, these are my faves..

107.jpg

logo 2

l.jpg

yes_keys.jpg

also like this one..
    l.jpg
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 12-29-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Banned
    hmmm to me, the top three are all the same. Different colors but all the same.

hmmm to me, the top three are all the same. Different colors but all the same.
    i guess you missed the word 'variations'. besides that's what the OP was asking for - favorite Roger Dean authored logos. if you disregard the color differences, then how many versions can there be? from my list, you take away 3 of the first 4 and you have the classic and the new one - thats it. unless of course you count Fragile which is not one of my favorites.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel