Thread: Prog magazine on sale today-excellent LLDOB feature!

Prog magazine on sale today-excellent LLDOB feature!

New issue features Genesis, prog in 1975, The Tangent, Public Service Broadcasting and more...
    The brand new issue of Prog is on sale today looking at The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and Peter Gabriel's departure from the band 40 years ago...

40 years ago it was the news that stunned the prog world: 'Gabriel Out Of Genesis?' ran the music paper headlines. On the back of the band's most ambitious album ever, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, the band's enigmatic frontman quit the band, throwing the burgeoning British rock institution into turmoil. We look back over that traumatic period in the Genesis history as the band and those around them recall just what went down.

Also in Prog 56...

Prog in 1975 - was it a year that prog was in crisis? Or was the genre just developing with the times. With the help of members of Supertramp, 10cc, Roxy Music, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Kansas and more we look back over the year prog truly spread its wings.

Native Construct - New young Berklee proteges announce themselves on the prog scene...

Public Service Broadcasting - The geeks that have taken prog back to the top of the charts!

The Tangent - Prog's wisest of sages, Andy Tllison muses music and The Tangent's latest album.

Sweet Billy Pilgrim - Battling adversity, the left-field proggers are back with great new album.

Wire - The original post punk veterans make their proggiest sounding album for years.

Anekdoten - Analogue-loving Swedes are back with first album in eight years!

Leprous - Norwegian prog metallers make ever more pleasing prog noise.

Amorphous Androgynous - Ex-ravers now creating the most progressive of sounds.

Klone - Class progressive rock, French style...

Jellyfish - The story of the most colourful band of the 90s.

Island Records - You can all join in with the story of the label that gave us Traffic, Tull, Fairport and more...

Davey O'List - One quarter of the original The Nice gets a Prog grilling.

Plus live and album reviews from ELP, Karnataka, Vennart, Fotheringay, Rush, Devin Townsend, Von Hertzen Brothers, Steve Howe, Magma, Nordic Giants and more...

Plus a ten track CD with music from Robert Fripp & David Cross, Ozric Tentacles, Galley Beggar, Sweet Billy Pilgrim, Magic Pie and more...

You can get this issue of Prog in print or digital editions, and North American readers can even subscribe direct in North America from: http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/content/lp/prog/

Suspended
    One would think there is nothing left to be said about The Lamb Lies down on Broadway. On the other hand, the stories around its creation and completion are a bit like the music itself - combed over many times, but there always seems to still be something new to discover.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I just picked up the Camel cover issue. I guess we're about 4-6 weeks behind the UK in these showing up in stores here across the pond. However, I will not subscribe as I'm fastidious when it comes to the sleeve being unsullied upon purchase.

I had bought the Camel issue because of the amount there was to read (main features) - it was my first PROG mag in around 18 months... but I'll pass on this one
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

$130 for ten issues?

That's a little steep.
    The Prog Corner

Wire must have a good new PR agent. The AV Club has been featuring them lately too.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Apparently it also has an interview with our own zombywoof about his excellent Deep Cuts radio show.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

"Public Service Broadcasting - The geeks that have taken prog back to the top of the charts!"

I love PSB. Great music!

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    "Public Service Broadcasting - The geeks that have taken prog back to the top of the charts!"

I love PSB. Great music!
    Me too, their first album was one of my favourite listens of recent years and I'm really enjoying The Race Into Space, it's so evocative for space cadets of a certain vintage.

I do enjoy their definition stretching annexation of anything remotely out there as Prog.

In this issue we have...

- Sweet Billy Pilgrim, who i am really enjoying but it isn't really progressive to me, but presumably if it's on K-scope it's fair game
    - Wire, who I have loved since Pink Flag, but man they are not prog and their latest isn't either, though their last few albums are bloody good and worth anybody investigating
    - Amorphous Androgynous, another that I have followed for ages, but never really put into the prog category.

I'm not complaining, it all makes for an interesting mix, and I'll pick this up as I do each month.

Why are you suddenly pimping this mag, Ruf?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Apparently it also has an interview with our own zombywoof about his excellent Deep Cuts radio show.
    It does! Thanks Ian. Our own Lieto is in there too!

I'm sure there would be plenty of read on Aera, Agora, Ange, Apoteosi, Area, Arti e Mestieri, Atila, Atoll, Arbete och Fritid, Franco Battiato, David Bedford, Birth Control, Bubu, I Califfi, Carpe Diem, Citta Frontale, Delired Chameleon Family, Dennis, Dragon, Electromagnets, Eloy, Energit, Espiritu, Far East Family Band, Fruupp, Fusioon, Gilgamesh, etc. (...I'm stopping here), who all had great albums in 1975.

I hope they'll do a top 200 1975 prog list as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I'm sure there would be plenty of read on Aera, Agora, Ange, Apoteosi, Area, Arti e Mestieri, Atila, Atoll, Arbete och Fritid, Franco Battiato, David Bedford, Birth Control, Bubu, I Califfi, Carpe Diem, Citta Frontale, Delired Chameleon Family, Dennis, Dragon, Electromagnets, Eloy, Energit, Espiritu, Far East Family Band, Fruupp, Fusioon, Gilgamesh, etc. (...I'm stopping here), who all had great albums in 1975.
    Yup, they're all featured. It's the apex of the 'know'.

BTW, are there any Kscope and/or InsideOut releases on the 'playlist' for this month? Usually they make for some 65+ %.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM