Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anger expressed in music

File under 'angsty'

Phil Collins - "I Don't care Anymore"

'Cos I remember all the times I tried so hard
    And you laughed in my face 'cos you held all the cards.
    I don't care anymore.
    And I really ain't bothered what you think of me
    'Cos all I want of you is just a let me be.
    I don't care anymore D'you hear? I don't care no more

I don't care what you say
    I never did believe you much anyway.

I won't be there no more
    So get out of my way.
    Let me by
    I got better things to do with my time
    I don't care anymore
    D'you hear? I don't care anymore
    I don't care no more
    You listening? I don't care no more
    No more!

You know I don't care no more!
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Procol Harum - "Still There'll Be More"...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I always thought Pantera were pretty good at expressing anger in music.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It was actually on hearing this part back in '97 that I could never get over the whole 'Morse' phenomenon as fundamentally corny. I just never got over it. You may put out a 79 mins CD of pukes and farts - but you do not release something as cerebrally revealing as this.

IMPO, of course.
    Different strokes I guess. “The Water” and “The Light” are two of his greatest compositions to my ears and what got me into Spock’s Beard in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Cant believe no one has mentioned "Death on two legs" Freddy Mercury's rant against Queens Management.
    Agreed, that is a good one.

One of the things I love about prog is that it tends NOT to be angry or topical. There is enough anger to share in the world for all of us simply by reading the news. I would rather hear Jon's nonsensical lyrics, using his voice as an instrument in the piece. The one exception is Rogers Waters' lyrics in Dogs. Being in the corporate hierarchy, one could see the things he discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSixFan View Post
    One of the things I love about prog is that it tends NOT to be angry or topical. There is enough anger to share in the world for all of us simply by reading the news. I would rather hear Jon's nonsensical lyrics, using his voice as an instrument in the piece. The one exception is Rogers Waters' lyrics in Dogs. Being in the corporate hierarchy, one could see the things he discussed.
    many prog bands do have morose songs -- not necessarily angry but certainly negative. Marillion comes to mind

Besides, I think the OP is actually asking if we can feel the actual anger in songs rather than songs that are intentionally written as angry. There is a difference here, because a song can be happily themed but theres a subliminal layer in the performance feels "dark and angry" that was probably the mood of the artist that got captured to tape, despite what the song is about. thats why I mentioned Ike and Tina. Somebody else mentioned "Rumors" album by Fleetwood Mac, another good choice........I also feel a layer of resentment in The Lemon Pipers "Green Tambourine"

CSNY - Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Different strokes I guess. “The Water” and “The Light” are two of his greatest compositions to my ears and what got me into Spock’s Beard in the first place.
    It was specifically the 'FU' section which was being discussed, at least by me. I can't believe anyone can look at those lyrics and not cringe.

Not too many where I think the anger is genuine and then it's almost always under-stated:

The Band, King Harvest (particularly the last minute)

Peter Gabriel, Biko (particularly the start - 'September, 77' is seething)

Joni Mitchell, Not to Blame (the way she mentions Jackson Browne's 'buddies' is scary)

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Darkthrone-Shut Up

I think this one is pretty hilarious really.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by BigSixFan View Post
    One of the things I love about prog is that it tends NOT to be angry or topical. There is enough anger to share in the world for all of us simply by reading the news. I would rather hear Jon's nonsensical lyrics, using his voice as an instrument in the piece.
    I don't know if this particular line is a reaction to Don't Kill the Whale, but I like the lines "This is radio clash/tearing up the seven veils/This is radio clash/save us not the whales" in 'This Is Radio Clash." Joe had a dry sense of humor, so that might've have been tongue-in-cheek... or completely unrelated.
    Last edited by davis; 05-29-2015 at 01:47 PM.

John Lennon's Working Class Hero.... and Marianne Faithful's version is even angrier

Peter Gabriel's Digging The Dirt

and ...

[VIDEO]

that whole first album really.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It was specifically the 'FU' section which was being discussed, at least by me. I can't believe anyone can look at those lyrics and not cringe.
    For me within the concept of the whole song it works with the "I'm So Sorry" section of the song that comes after it.

I find the entirety of The Wall a very angry album---not just the obvious lyrics, but even through the slow boiling undercurrent in much of the instrumentals. A great deal of sadness that manifests itself angrily.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    "Jagged Pill"... that wasn't her first album?
    In much the same way that Stella Linon (or if she was a soap opera character, it'd be Stella Zelcer Vander Linon) was a teenage chanteuse before she got kidnapped by the visiting Kobaïan, so also Alanis Morrisette began her singing career by making a couple pop records. Think Debbie Gibson, but with an a Canadian accent.

Supposedly, after she reinvented herself as an "angry alterna-rock chick" on Jagged Little Pill, her American record company took great pains to block the reissue of her teenaged pop tart records, apparently because they were afraid they would ruin her new image or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    How about SOBER by TOOL?
    Try Ticks And Leeches, Bottom, Crawl Away, Hush, and Hooker With A Penis more...although they're all arguably tongue in cheek save Bottom and Crawl Away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    I find the entirety of The Wall a very angry album---not just the obvious lyrics, but even through the slow boiling undercurrent in much of the instrumentals. A great deal of sadness that manifests itself angrily.
    Indeed! I don't listen to it very often because it IS such a downer. plus I can relate too much to some of it.

Thanks to all for sharing here. I suppose, as Yves commented earlier, that this is a very broad topic, but what particularly resonates, sited by your examples, has been interesting and is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Be gone you ever piercing
    Power Play machine
    Cutting our musical solidarity
    For those who would break the windows
    Of our true reflections
    And perceptions of the world
    'For I am out of thee with a vengeance'

Whew, you don't want to get Jon Anderson pissed at you, that's for sure.

Bill
    Lol--what about..Kill them..give them as they give us...slay them...burn their children's laughter...on to HELL.........

Samuel Barber - Medea's Dance of Vengeance
    Pain of Salvation - Used
    ELP - The Only Way
    Gustov Holst - Mars, God of War
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It doesn’t help that he sounds like some whiny, privileged little teenaged brat who’s railing against his parents because they didn’t buy him the video game he asked for for his birthday. :P
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    what about..Kill them..give them as they give us...slay them...burn their children's laughter...on to HELL.........
    I'm sorry, but the very idea of that milkman being able to express a genuine sentiment of actual anger remains preposterous. I mean, there's the usual and pedestrian, everyday herb tea and then of course the somewhat more wicked'n'sinister Earl Grey, but I doubt the latter would infuse many more balls.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM