Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any love here for Dan Fogelberg?

Here's a nice one for a Progger to start with.

Not really a fan but not a hater either. I really enjoy the "Twin Sons Of Different Mothers" album w/Tim Weisberg but that's about the extent of my appreciation for Fogelberg.

I liked certain tracks of his back in the day, specifically, 'Netherlands', 'The Reach', and the intro instrumental on 'The Innocent Age'. I do think he's a good musician and I do also enjoy the 'Twin Sons' album though its been decades since I've heard any Fogelberg at all.

just to add since some people mentioned the Twin Sons album, the two reunited in '95 and did another album together called No Resemblance Whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    just to add since some people mentioned the Twin Sons album, the two reunited in '95 and did another album together called No Resemblance Whatsoever.
    Yeah, this is stronger than its reputation. Similar format to Twin Sons - Six instrumentals plus four songs: two good Dan originals - Is This Magic & The Face of Love - & two Jesse Colin Young covers: Songbird & Sunlight (very West Coast, these two).

All of his post-chart success albums are worth hearing, especially The Wild Places & Love in Time. Hugely underrated!

Who the dickens is Dan Fogerburp?

bloomcountycartoon.jpg

Another nice one from The Innocent Age

I also love Twin Sons of Different Mothers with Tim Weisberg. Tell Me To My Face, just a great song. So talented. Died way too young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pXoTp9-6EI

this one, The River Of Souls, showcases his versibility... spanish guitar and all.

Here's one of my favorites:

There are a few nods to the Beatles on The Reach. The double bell tap to announce the ship is ready to move off, and the piccolo trumpet ala Penny Lane.

^^ thanks for posting that vid.. my pc won't allow me to post vids like that.
    and oh yes The Reach is larger then life.... no wonder he had his ashes thrown into the sea.

Copy the YouTube URL. There is a icon in the Quick Reply box that looks like a strip ov movie film (second from the far right). Right click on that and paste your URL in the text box that appears, then hit enter.

hey it worked, thanks. this is one of his best songs... and the longest.

One year for Christmas, my wife purchased the 4 disk boxed set for me. Not sure why she did, since I don't thing she ever liked him, but there were so many hidden jems on that compilation. Among the songs that I loved were "Tell Me to My Face", "Power of Gold", "Heart Hotels", "Language of Love", as well as a number of others. My favorite was a Graham Nash piece written for the Hollies - "Tell me to my Face".

I remember years ago when the morning DJ on the local rock chanel, 94HJY said, "I can't believe what I am about to do, but here is the new Dan Fogelberg song" and he played "What you're Doing".

One song of his I HATED was "Longer". Then when Glass Hammer remade it, I was blown away.

finally got Live At Carnegie Hall Dan Fogelberg solo......
    i pre ordred it and it was on a 6 week wait, canceled then reordered but they sold out-
    finally got this and listened this weekend.
    WOW! this is a solo concert from 1978 while he was touring for the Nether Lands album.
    i saw Dan twice with a band but this performance is just SUPER!
    the sound quality is terrific, an array of his songs from the 70's.
    he performs Same Old Lang Syne for the first time.
    it's got a few rare gems, stories and great guitar/piano work.
    the man was a genius!

No.

I have never heard Dan live. I may have to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    finally got Live At Carnegie Hall Dan Fogelberg solo......
    i pre ordred it and it was on a 6 week wait, canceled then reordered but they sold out-
    finally got this and listened this weekend.
    WOW! this is a solo concert from 1978 while he was touring for the Nether Lands album.
    i saw Dan twice with a band but this performance is just SUPER!
    the sound quality is terrific, an array of his songs from the 70's.
    he performs Same Old Lang Syne for the first time.
    it's got a few rare gems, stories and great guitar/piano work.
    the man was a genius!
    Is his live "Greetings From The West" album good? Or the full-length concert film (with interview segments) of the same name, was released in 1991?

Banned

Banned
    Colorado Music Hall of Fame announces induction concert honoring Joe Walsh, Dan Fogelberg

Sold out, but hope its covered by AXS.
    https://www.axs.com/colorado-music-h...119372?q=cmhof

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Is his live "Greetings From The West" album good? Or the full-length concert film (with interview segments) of the same name, was released in 1991?
    Greetings From The West is excellent. Probably my favourite live album. A whole bunch of classics & a few unreleased songs. If you like Dan's music, I'd say it's essential listening. Didn't know about the concert film. Definitely try & find that.

BravadoNJ, Thanks for the tip about the Carnegie album. Looks fab!

Another piece of D.F. news is that the debut album of Fool's Gold, Dan's 70's backing band, has been re-released on Floating World. It's a prime slice of country rock featuring three tracks written or co-written by Dan, including a fine cover of Old Tennessee.

A whole lifetime ago I first bought Netherlands and then worked backward, Captured Angel, Souvenirs, and Home Free. Went from Album to CD with each of these. Owned a few albums after that but just never could get into the next realm and have long since sold those records. Still love the first 4 though.

Greetings.... is a great double live CD. i saw him on this tour and there are some songs he didn't do when i saw him.
    however the DVD doesn't include many of the songs and the performance is broken up with interviews in between... i hate when they do that.
    maybe one day they will remaster this DVD to include the full show and separate the documentary as a bonus feature.