Thread: The Uke Thread

The Uke Thread

My daughter and one of my sons recently got ukuleles. When I started shopping, I liked the sound of an 8-string Tipple style Oscar Schmidt. I ordered it through Amazon. The quality was extremely poor. I immediately returned it and asked an old friend who is big into stringed instruments for advice. He knew nothing about ukuleles, but referred me to a FB friend who knew a lot about them.
    He highly recommended I go to a store about 45 miles away called Uke Republic. I bought my daughter a Ohana Concert uke with a spruce top. She loves it and it was set up properly and sounds wonderful. Took my #3 son recently and got him a Kala Tenor Uke, all mahogany. It sounds nice also, but not quite as good as the Ohana. We're having a MiSi pickup installed in the Ohana so she can play at open mic at a local coffee house.
    I definitely learned a lesson about buying instruments online.
    Next step is to get an acoustic guitar amp combo. I may even save up for the Roland AC-33, which has looping for both one instrument and vocals.

Any Ukers on the front row (baseball humor)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    My daughter and one of my sons recently got ukuleles. When I started shopping, I liked the sound of an 8-string Tipple style Oscar Schmidt. I ordered it through Amazon. The quality was extremely poor. I immediately returned it and asked an old friend who is big into stringed instruments for advice. He knew nothing about ukuleles, but referred me to a FB friend who knew a lot about them.
    He highly recommended I go to a store about 45 miles away called Uke Republic. I bought my daughter a Ohana Concert uke with a spruce top. She loves it and it was set up properly and sounds wonderful. Took my #3 son recently and got him a Kala Tenor Uke, all mahogany. It sounds nice also, but not quite as good as the Ohana. We're having a MiSi pickup installed in the Ohana so she can play at open mic at a local coffee house.
    I definitely learned a lesson about buying instruments online.
    Next step is to get an acoustic guitar amp combo. I may even save up for the Roland AC-33, which has looping for both one instrument and vocals.

Any Ukers on the front row (baseball humor)?
    Still alive and well...

This guy has a few Prog covers. While his singing leaves a lot to be desired in the higher range, he should be congratulated to be able to transcribe a lot of the parts here.

For a second I thought ya meant this guy

http://outyourbackdoor.com/samples.bart/music.bart.html

(went to grad school with him )

But actually, this is the dude you need to check out. . .

http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/home/

Regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

I've already listened to a number of Jake's performances. He is an amazing talent, probably one of the best out there, but I don't see him tackling any complex Prog like Rush, King Crimson, Yes, etc.
    Here's a guy who reminds me of Steve Hackett on classical guitar. Very nice piece here.

My daughter and I worked out the chords for the short Lava which opens Pixar's new film inside out.
    Here's the tutorial:

Just heard this one for the first time. Nice stuff here.

Here's a cover my daughter just recorded of a SuperChick song. Nothing fancy, but her vocals are improving nicely.

My wife and kids chipped in and bought me a Uke for fathers day this year. They got me a Cordoba soprano. I've been picking it up every other day to learn chords and to build up my finger strength and hopefully get some callus going soon.

I hope to be sitting on the porch strumming away when I retire.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I still don't have my own yet. My 19 YO has a Kala tenor uke, but I simply find the fingerboard to be too narrow I will probably get a tenor with an extra wide neck, or maybe even a baritone.
    Tried a Yamaha Guitalele, but the scale/neckwidth ratio was just too cramped for my fat fingers.
    Maybe I should just get a bass.