Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Molesome - Songs for vowels and mammals (Mattias Olssons first solo album)

Molesome - Songs for vowels and mammals (Mattias Olssons first solo album)

Good Morning!

Its a great tuesday morning in Stockholm. One of the less obvious reasons is that I finally have sent off my first "solo" album to the printers.
    I recorded it in 1998 - 2001. Made a cover, mastered it and put it ontop of a warderobe. I thought "Ill get to that later". It took 14 years.

If you want to buy a physical copy of it....drop me a line at Rothhandlestudios@gmail.com and we will figure it out.

Trailer by Martin Gustafsson, Cover by Henning Lindahl, Mastered by Christopher Cline.

Have a great Tuesday!

// Mattias

Awesome news!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Cool business. E-mail sent.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

A few years ago I bought the music featuring Mattias from AK-Momo ("Return To N.Y.") and Nanook Of The North ("The Täby Tapes"). The music on this clip reminds me of these CD's.

It's nice to see this information on Molesome and this album on Andy Thompson's wonderful Planet Mellotron-site:

Molesome (Sweden)

A Night at Raji's EP (2001, 17.58) ****/TT

A Night at Raji's
    Pavement Mute
    Naples
    Narcotics
    22nd March

Songs for Vowels & Mammals (2004?, 61.41) ****/TTT½

Track 1
    Track 2
    Track 3
    Track 4
    Track 5
    Track 6
    Track 7
    Track 8
    Track 9 Track 10
    Track 11
    Track 12
    Track 13
    Track 14
    Track 15
    Track 16
    Track 17
    Track 18

Dial (2007, 32.55) ***/TT

Dial
    Current availability:

All titles: downloads from Roth-Händle site??

Mellotrons used:

All titles: Mattias Olsson's M400

To be honest, I don't know an awful lot about Molesome, only that Änglagård drummer Mattias Olsson is heavily involved (it's Mattias' proud boast that there's Mellotron to be found on every single album he's played on, which has to be applauded...). Like most of his recent work, such as Geller and Pineforest Crunch, A Night at Raji's (sort of) falls into the 'intelligent, offbeat pop' category, which can be no bad thing. Mixing programmed instruments with good old-fashioned acoustic ones, it's actually effectively instrumental, although with some spoken word parts, so I suppose it isn't 'pop' at all, really. Narcotics is particularly good, with an amusing exchange on the subject of, er, 'substances'. Mellotron flutes on both Naples and 22nd March, with a couple of pitchbends to let you know it's real (as if...), along with the glockenspiels, tremolo guitar etc. A Night at Raji's is a pretty cool, modern record, which even died-in-the-wool prog fans may find acceptable; I've no idea if the band is an even remotely full-time proposition, or simply another one of Mattias' projects, but a whole album of this stuff would be most welcome.

You know when they say, "You should be careful what you wish for..."? Three or so years later, what should fall onto my doormat but a full-length Molesome album, Songs for Vowels & Mammals. Is this generally available? Depends on your definition of 'generally available', I suppose; I believe it is/was available on Mattias' Roth-Händle site, if you can actually gain access to the thing. It's weirder than its predecessor, and is clearly a Mattias solo project this time round, featuring the usual array of cranky old keyboards and drum machines, and what's more, I have no idea what (if anything) any of the tracks are called. What is undeniable, though, is that the man has a way with a tune; many of the tracks have beautiful melodies, usually played on MiniMoog or Mellotron, though possibly more in an 'art-house film soundtrack' way than a 'worldwide hit single' one, which is probably a good thing. Moments of humour rear their ugly heads here and there, too, with Track 8 being a worthy successor to Raji's Narcotics.

It's likely that some of the 'programmed drums' are actually Mattias' old Chamberlin Rhythmate, which, since it's a tape-replay device, should count as a Chamberlin, but unless/until I'm informed as to what is and what isn't, I really can't comment. As far as more standard Mellotron stuff goes, while I'm certain to miss some of the sounds used, particularly when they're stacked up in the mix, this is what I can actually hear: Cellos, flutes and strings on track 1, strings on 4 and some gorgeous, upfront flutes backed with cello on 5. Flutes and strings on 6, cellos on 10 and ghostly choirs (are there any other kind in Mellotronland?) on 11, with unidentified orchestral something-or-others on 13. 15 features flutes through a Digitek Whammy pitchbend pedal, making for some interesting octave effects, with a final Mellotronic appearance from the cellos, strings and flutes on Track 18. Now go on, tell me what I've missed.

2007 and it's another Molesome album - of a sort. Dial is the sort of thing that lazy reviewers might call 'ambient', only ambient music isn't meant to be this discordant and all-round odd, I suspect. It largely consists of moaning synth with random brass stuck on top, vocal samples, and the odd bit of piano thrown in, so it would seem that 'intelligent, offbeat pop' no longer applies. Actually, this doesn't sound entirely dissimilar to Julian Cope's very odd Odin, only shorter, and with slightly more variety. Mellotron? There's something stabby at around the 16-minute mark, and some background choirs a few minutes later, with some definite flutes and strings around 24 minutes. When suddenly... 26 mins, and full-on strings! Almost rhymes, too. That would appear to be your lot.

See: Änglagård | AK-Momo | Geller | Nanook of the North | Pineforest Crunch | Reminder

Hey hey,

Its really fun to read Andys comments as I dont really remember what is on the tracks.

I mean there are the usual suspects, loads of Mellotron, Mini Moog etc but also a lot of flea market stuff. Childrens toys, speak & spells etc.

I also have vague memories of Tobias Ljungkvist (Akaba, Reminder) adding stuff to one track and my Wife singing on another. It was a long time ago and I was in the middle of recording loads of other stuff...this is sort of what I did when people were late to to the studio or done in hours afterwards.

The other album Andy is talking about is called Dial and I will with a bit of luck release that later this year. It is more collagey and more orchestrated. Only one piece.

Thanks!

// Mattias

Great news ! Firing up the e-mail now. Thanks :>)

Thank you guys!

I posted a couple of tracks on Soundcloud including this one.

https://soundcloud.com/rothhandlestudios/3-the-artist

This was the first song I ever recorded and mixed by myself so it sort of had to go on the album.

// Mattias

Hey hey,

In 2007 I recorded another album called Dial. Together with visual artist Magdalena Haggärde we did a run of 16 CD-rs.

While rummaging around at home I found 7 copies of that pressing.

This fall Im planning on remastering it and making a "real" sleeve But if you guys want a "oringinal" copy let me know.

It is only one track and is a lot more noisey and sparse and not as "song" oriented as Songs for Vowels and Mammals. A lot of horns and spoken word bits and pieces. I think its about 32 minutes long.

I was thinking 14 dollars for this one (including P&P) if you have already ordered Songs for vowels and Mammals. It would be only 12.

Drop an email to Rothhandlestudios@gmail.com if you want one.

We wont be making anymore Dial Cds like this. They are numbered and unique.

Best regards,

Mattias

2015-06-09 13.44.18.jpg

"Numbered and Unique"! Well, let's go for that.

I hope that bag doesn't confuse the import-police though, although they must be used to it over here.

[QUOTE=interbellum;418339]"Numbered and Unique"! Well, let's go for that.

I think 16 copies in total that all have slightly different covers works as a fairly limited and unique release.. its not like that Alanis album...ONLY 17 million copies...!

Yeah, the latter sounds like there's limited size of the universe.

I really like that limited, unique stuff especially when you can support the artist and it's within reasonable amounts of money. Of course there are folks who buy this and re-sell it directly for high prices as collector's items.

Hey hey,

Just wanted you all know that the discs have left Sweden. There should be a bonus thing in every envelope as a thank you for your preorder...

Let me know when they show up, ok?

// Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    Hey hey,

Just wanted you all know that the discs have left Sweden. There should be a bonus thing in every envelope as a thank you for your preorder...

// Mattias
    Mattias!

Hey hey,

// Mattias
    Aw reet.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Hey hey,

// Mattias
    Cool Mattias, looking foward to receiving it.

Is it here yet?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Is it here yet?
    Dont make me come back there....!

// Mattias

Is it here yet?

Well, here it certainly is! Thanks Mattias for these adventurous albums. And what a nice surprise-CD: Akaba's "The Rust Within".

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Well, here it certainly is! Thanks Mattias for these adventurous albums. And what a nice surprise-CD: Akaba's "The Rust Within".
    Thank you!

So glad that they showed up alright...

Curious to hear what you think of them especially Dial as it its pretty special...You know...I had this idea of a plastic sleeve...

// Mattias

Thank you!

So glad that they showed up alright...

Curious to hear what you think of them especially Dial as it its pretty special...You know...I had this idea of a plastic sleeve...

// Mattias
    Haven't had the time yet to listen to Dial, although I did remove the plastic (goodbye eBay...), just like I did with "Wish You Were Here" in 1975.

"Songs For..." is a lovely piece of work, for those who like playfull use of instruments in melodic compositions. Sometimes it sounds like toy-instruments creating music for grown-ups, then it's pastoral symphonic with warm Mellotron-strings.

The Akaba-album is very nice. Reminds me of a Cocteau Twins-sideproject like Mandalay, but a lot warmer due to the lovely Mellotron and other vintage instruments. Here's a nice review from (again) Planet Mellotron:

Akaba (Sweden)

Akaba, 'The Rust Within'
    The Rust Within (2014, 49.28) ****/TTT

When You Find Someone
    27 Sisters of Soul
    Foolish
    Fake it
    Life is What You Choose it to Be
    Take the World
    Råstavägen Starfly
    Lifetime Spender
    So Easy
    Rifle Gun
    Current availability:

Roth Händle/Exergy
    Mellotron/Chamberlin used:

Mattias Olsson's M400(s) and MusicMaster 600
    Akaba are the natural successors to Pineforest Crunch and Reminder, comprising members of both: Pineforest's vocalist extraordinaire Åsa Carild, Reminder's Tobias Ljungkvist and Åsa's husband, Mattias "Änglagård" Olsson, who played in both. The trio play an updated take on both outfits' skewed Scando-pop vision on their debut, 2014's The Rust Within, the bulk of its material successfully walking the 'happy/sad' tightrope, several tracks managing to combine euphoria and despair in one uneasy, sugar-coated package. Highlights include 94, Fake It, the gentler Foolish and the beautiful Råstavägen, complete with a stunning (and very real) pipe organ coda, although those allergic to programmed drums should possibly approach with caution.

Tobias and Mattias play Mellotron, while Mattias adds Chamberlin to the mix, with a Mellotron string line on 27 Sisters Of Soul (actually from Mats Lundgren), a high flute line, MkII 'moving strings' and Chamberlin solo female voice on Foolish, cellos on Fake It, a full-on string part on Råstavägen and strings (mostly in fifths) on Starfly. I'm quite sure I've missed several parts; Mattias will doubtless berate me at some point for having cloth ears. While some way from your standard Planet Mellotron fare (whatever that might be now), The Rust Within is wholeheartedly recommended to anyone who's ever liked Mattias' various projects over the years (not least AK-Momo, Nanook of the North and Necromonkey) and, of course, Pineforest Crunch and Reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Does your copy of Akaba's album play faultlessly?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Does your copy of Akaba's album play faultlessly?
    It does, Christian. No problem detected.

Dial is a whole other animal. It has a kind of ambient atmosphere with some Steve Reich-like partly vocal (It's Gonna Rain) loops (at least it sounds that way to me). The trumpet-melody circles around a certain point, but like a lot of other repeated noices and effects it sounds logical. At the end of the piece it becomes a bit "rougher" at times, but at the same time fragments of Mellotron-playing makes it feel safe after all. Hard to compare it with other stuff as I'm not an expert in this kind of stuff, but I hear some Eno and exhibition-music from David Sylvian/Russell Mills.

Very excited to get these!

Very excited to get these!
    So...are we there yet?

// Mattias