Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to turn off Auto Save?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Is there a way to turn off Auto Save?

That feature is making me crazy - should be called Auto Wait. It's a good idea, but I'm too impatient, and I always copy my posts just in case anyway, before actually submitting them.

Why is it driving you crazy, and why would you want to turn it off

Just ignore it. It's there for an important reason.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Why is it driving you crazy, and why would you want to turn it off

Just ignore it. It's there for an important reason.
    Yeah, I'm kinda' on the same page as Duncan, here... Unless you're on working on a museum relic from the 1980's, auto save should be sorta' useful. no?

Your posts are usually two sentences or less. How many times are you even seeing the "auto-saved" anyway?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    what does auto-save do?

It saves autos. Cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    It saves autos. Cars.
    So that explains why a Pontiac Fiero pic popped up suddenly in my avatar....

Lemme 'splain why you WANT Auto-Save:

Content auto-save is like an emergency parachute – it automatically saves your content so that it can be restored in the event that things go very wrong.

Imagine this scenario. You’ve sat down to write a really long reply to a thread. Like a mad composer, you are banging away on the keyboard typing away furiously; your words and ideas are flowing freely into the editor. In an unfortunate twist of cruel fate your foot kicks the power outlet and unplugs your computer. Your computer shuts down as you begin to panic – the panic slowly transforming into agonizing rage.

Well, there is good news! Progressive Ears automatically backs up your work every 30 seconds. You curse the skies, successfully reboot your computer and navigate back to the page where you were writing the content, click the “Restore Auto-Save” button and magically – your masterpiece is now restored. Nothing has been lost!

Do you still want to get rid of it?

Nah - didn't think so
    Regards,

Duncan

Just tested this feature. It is indeed very cool.

I'm afraid I'm with JK2000 on this. 30 second saves is a bit too often IMO. During the save everything freezes and I can't type.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Meme Prog Mutation View Post
    I'm afraid I'm with JK2000 on this. 30 second saves is a bit too often IMO. During the save everything freezes and I can't type.

Tom
    Hmm. I never have that issue, both at work and at home.

Tom

I've never had that - it takes less than a quarter of a second, at most.
    Regards,

Duncan

The "cloud" will consume us all!

Not to change the topic but I wish there was a way to turn of that "hover" feature. You know, where you hover your mouse pointer over the thread title and you see a preview of the first post? Damn I hate that. Why? Because the "preview" won't f***ing go away. You have to wait until it fades away on it's own. It's intrusive, annoying, and useless. And I bet I'm not the only person that thinks this. I'd bet a week's pay I'm not the only one . But it's a minor complaint. I can live with it. If I could turn it off I would, but I'm not gonna bother the admins to re-write code for something that minor.

Not to change the topic but I wish there was a way to turn of that "hover" feature. You know, where you hover your mouse pointer over the thread title and you see a preview of the first post? Damn I hate that. Why? Because the "preview" won't f***ing go away. You have to wait until it fades away on it's own. It's intrusive, annoying, and useless. And I bet I'm not the only person that thinks this. I'd bet a week's pay I'm not the only one . But it's a minor complaint. I can live with it. If I could turn it off I would, but I'm not gonna bother the admins to re-write code for something that minor.
    I like that feature. You can check pretty quickly what the thread is going to be about without having to open it up. Lots of threads are only of vague interest and this feature is the decider for me if I'm going to bother opening them at all.
    Move the cursor away and it disappears immediately.

On PEv2 that was one of the geatures that everyone wanted !

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    This.
    Regards,

Duncan

Not to change the topic but I wish there was a way to turn of that "hover" feature. You know, where you hover your mouse pointer over the thread title and you see a preview of the first post?
    If that doesn't go away when you move the mouse away, it's an issue with your browser, not with PE's vB.

In Firefox you can disable this by typing the following into URL/address bar and pressing [ENTER]: about:config

You will be prompted to tell Firefox you will be careful.

In the search field, type: tips

The only setting that appears should be "browser.chrome.toolbar_tips". Double click that and it will set to "false". If you want the tooltips back, repeat the process and set it to "true".

It only works for title attribute tooltips, though; but, that's what you're complaining about.

I don't know how to do this in any other browser.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    That's what I usually do.

Love The Auto Save

Is your device slow? Auto save usually comes on and goes away almost instantly. It might be your browser or computer or both.

Not to change the topic but I wish there was a way to turn of that "hover" feature. You know, where you hover your mouse pointer over the thread title and you see a preview of the first post? Damn I hate that.
    Couldn't disagree more. That's one of the best features of the new site.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Is your device slow? Auto save usually comes on and goes away almost instantly. It might be your browser or computer or both.
    My first thought, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, I understand how autosave works, having used word processing software for about 25 years. My problem with it is that I have to wait while it saves and that's pretty annoying. After using word processing software for 25 years, I'm really, really careful about not losing stuff, so have rarely needed the help of the autosave feature except in cases of Windows crashes, which haven't happened to me since back with Windows 95 or so. And no, I'm not using an old PC. I do type fast, though. I think autosave also interrupts scrolling, if that's what you're doing when it forces itself on you.

BTW, I LOVE the mouse-over feature vic2012 doesn't like - it saves me a lot of time!

Cozy, I'm sorry if some of my posts aren't long enough for you. And if certain topics are off limits here in the DISCUSS SITE ISSUES area, just let me know. Is it time for the 30-Second Hate yet?

Duncan, where is the Restore Autosave button anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Duncan, where is the Restore Autosave button anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Lemme 'splain why you WANT Auto-Save:

Content auto-save is like an emergency parachute – it automatically saves your content so that it can be restored in the event that things go very wrong.

Imagine this scenario. You’ve sat down to write a really long reply to a thread. Like a mad composer, you are banging away on the keyboard typing away furiously; your words and ideas are flowing freely into the editor. In an unfortunate twist of cruel fate your foot kicks the power outlet and unplugs your computer. Your computer shuts down as you begin to panic – the panic slowly transforming into agonizing rage.

Well, there is good news! Progressive Ears automatically backs up your work every 30 seconds. You curse the skies, successfully reboot your computer and navigate back to the page where you were writing the content, click the “Restore Auto-Save” button and magically – your masterpiece is now restored. Nothing has been lost!

Do you still want to get rid of it?

Nah - didn't think so
    I should have explained in the post (referred to above) that the restore button appears when you need it. Specifically - if you navigate to a page with a message that had previously been auto-saved but had not been posted, then the restore button appears. It looks like this (click the image to see a bigger picture):

Autosave-Restore-Button.jpg
    Regards,

Duncan