Thread: FEATURED CD - Coheed & Cambria Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fea

FEATURED CD - Coheed & Cambria Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fea

Full title:
    Coheed & Cambria : Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

Per Allmusic:
    Much like Death Cab for Cutie, emo devotees were aghast with horror when Coheed and Cambria left the shores of their indie label to depart for the good islands of major labeldom. And for those just catching up on their Coheed and Cambria folklore, this is first part of two, which will be the conclusion to their four-part concept album saga detailing the saga of two protagonists, Coheed and Cambria. It's not necessary to know all of the facts and story lines to enjoy IV, which is a prog rock opera on par with anything that Rush or Queensr˙che ever released. But the interesting thing to listen for is the evolution of the group's sound, since success sideswiped the group with 2003's In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth. The emo chords and songwriting dynamics have been shed in favor of a more prog rock, heavy metal sound that was so dominant throughout the '80s. Nowhere is this more evident than in the album's opener, "Welcome Home"; with its bombastic strings, dramatic buildups, breakdowns, and dual guitar solos, it's one of the best metal licks that 1985 never made. The album concludes with a four-part song cycle that acts as a subplot within the album, and will most likely act as a bridge for volume two when it's released. But conceptual plots aside, this is an album that finally lives up to the heavy metal promise and unapologetically delivers the goods with a full head of steam.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/good-a...s-mw0000382039

Regards,

Duncan

Got it a few years ago. Found it in a bargain bin. I was impressed initially. It's got a strong Rush vibe. Eventually I got tired of it. Claudio's singing got really irritating after the 5th or 6th listen. His vocals dominate.

their best record to me. The Willing Well Suite is one of the best extended compositions in rock music in the 2000's.

The energy and catchy hooks are what stand out about this record more than anything. The lyrics can get cheesy at times, but they don't kill the songs for me.

Also I don't think it's a coincidence that David Botrill was their producer on this record.

One of my favorite bands, this is my favorite album.

I guess I have their best album. I've met people who rave about the last couple albums. Haven't explored any further.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The last couple are great.

I saw them live and picked up this one first. I then went and explored the whole discography and have been a fan since. I always see them now when they come to NY.

Probably my favorite of theirs, although I haven't heard the latest couple.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the whole concept that is supposed to play across these records? I find the lyrics to be completely unintelligible.

NP: Ulf Wakenius Momento Magico

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ The key is that you have to know that the characters are really himself, his wife, other family members, etc. Then, who really cares, right?

Seriously though, I think it's an interesting approach to coming up with lyrics, but I don't pay much attention to them anyway, except that Claudio is good at writing lyrics that work well with his voice. So I do HEAR them, but I don't really process them fully.

I have a couple of their cds. Not sure if I have this one. I think I have their third and fourth maybe. I don't love them but I don't hate them. They are ok. Not very proggy but I suppose they have their moments. I'd guess that 95 percent of their fans are high school students on the chess club.

yes i like them and this album,in fact i like all their albums more or less

Quote Originally Posted by FKYES View Post
    I saw them live and picked up this one first. I then went and explored the whole discography and have been a fan since. I always see them now when they come to NY.
    This was the only release I had when I saw them at a festival - great show. Nearly a completist, although the last few are somewhat yawners comparatively.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!