Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mancave, Fortresses of Solitude, Etc - Fables of Reconstruction

^^^ Looks fantastic!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    My new listening room is still a work-in-progress, but here's what it looks like this morning.
    Attachment 10600
    Attachment 10601
    Attachment 10602
    Attachment 10603
    An impressive disc collection! What gear are you using?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I like the portable bathroom on the table in photo #4!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My new listening room is still a work-in-progress, but here's what it looks like this morning.
    I spy the Miles metal spine boxes.

[QUOTE=rcarlberg;720813]My new listening room is still a work-in-progress, but here's what it looks like this morning.
    Attachment 10600
    QUOTE]

OK, I've GOT to show that picture to my Wife who believes that I have too many CD's and I could only fill ONE of those CD racks

BTW...very nice room
    G.A.S -aholic

...and on that topic....we just moved into our newly-built home and I am starting to put the studio together. Here is a picture of one corner of the studio...

new studio.jpg
    G.A.S -aholic

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Attachment 10600
    Attachment 10601
    Attachment 10602
    Attachment 10603
    You must go through a hell of a lot of green markers

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    ...and on that topic....we just moved into our newly-built home and I am starting to put the studio together. Here is a picture of one corner of the studio...

new studio.jpg
    NIIIIICCCE collection of quality machinery. I have one acoustic mandolin and I'm interested in an electric. It looks like you have three electric mandolins. What's the difference between the three?
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    You must go through a hell of a lot of green markers
    No, but my freezer is full.

My gear is nothing special. Good solid mid-price stuff but nothing exotic. Speakers are my own design.

The rack near the door is all DVDs. To the left of my stereo is As and Bs, and Cs start to the right. I need to add one more shelf already -- designed to hold the existing collection I'm already finding it tight in the belt line.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    NIIIIICCCE collection of quality machinery. I have one acoustic mandolin and I'm interested in an electric. It looks like you have three electric mandolins. What's the difference between the three?
    Left to right:
    Harmony is both Acoustic/electric 8-string (best for a more authentic sound)
    Rickenbacker - 8-string electric (loud and chimey like you would expect a Rick to sound like)
    Fender - 4-String electric (since only 4 strings, easier to do single-line melodies fast)

...and below that those, you'll see a white 3-string instrument called a LOOG. It is a "Kit" guitar for kids (but it's no toy). you can tune them any way you want...I have it tuned D G B (essentially a 3-string Tenor mandolin)
    G.A.S -aholic

Friend of mine sent me this picture of the collection of a friend of his in Minneapolis. I think he wins.
    19388777_1686669368028143_1307571372968178124_o.jpg

^^^ That's fantastic!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Friend of mine sent me this picture of the collection of a friend of his in Minneapolis. I think he wins.
    My dream and my wife's nightmare, right there.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My dream and my wife's nightmare, right there.
    +1 to that Brother.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Dammit… why have I not seen this thread until now?!?!!!

I am currently disassembling my cavern for a complete remodel...

05-22-2015 is when this thread started by Jerjo, and I didn't see it until 2016.

I sold my house and moved to another state in 2016. Found the house that definitely fit and moved in June of this year. One of the main selling points was the previous owners did away with their formal dining room and converted it into an office/den and added a loft. That's where I've established shop! I am almost done with my new cave. I'll post a progress pic within the next day or two.

Curious to see how others have established their caves since this thread started...

Reminds me of a personal collection I saw years back.. the guy had all four walls floor to ceiling full of vinyl.. He owned a record store so he obviously had an unfair advantage..haha My vinyl collection peaked at around 1000.. I still pick up an album or two when I see a good clean cover.. still have thoughts of framing some and mounting them on a wall somewhere..

I have what surely is the most pathetic excuse for a man cave in the entire hemisphere. Here’s the setting:

I work for 20 plus years at a university in Japan and finally I’m in line for a research sabbatical. We have a relationship with a University in Thailand and I am accepted to carry out my 6 month sabbatical there. And my wife approves.

Now, just think about for a moment. A middle-aged man. Alone. In Thailand. And his wife approves!!

So, I’m entertaining visions of a funky teak and bamboo tempered sort of visiting Professor’s off-campus pad, you know, maybe with a separate room for pole dances, ping ping shows or something. But nooo. I get the student dorm. The cheapest student dorm. A completely unfurnished student dorm of the type that makes Spartan look baroque.

So much for those visions of a bachelor-pad cum stud farm, my source of endless nocturnal frivolity with the locals. Even the cleaning staff give the place a wide birth. And that is where I am ensconced as I write this. My teeny tiny pathetic beta male death pod.

I’m betting the wife negotiated this...

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    I have what surely is the most pathetic excuse for a man cave in the entire hemisphere. Here’s the setting:

I work for 20 plus years at a university in Japan and finally I’m in line for a research sabbatical. We have a relationship with a University in Thailand and I am accepted to carry out my 6 month sabbatical there. And my wife approves.

Now, just think about for a moment. A middle-aged man. Alone. In Thailand. And his wife approves!!

So, I’m entertaining visions of a funky teak and bamboo tempered sort of visiting Professor’s off-campus pad, you know, maybe with a separate room for pole dances, ping ping shows or something. But nooo. I get the student dorm. The cheapest student dorm. A completely unfurnished student dorm of the type that makes Spartan look baroque.

So much for those visions of a bachelor-pad cum stud farm, my source of endless nocturnal frivolity with the locals. Even the cleaning staff give the place a wide birth. And that is where I am ensconced as I write this. My teeny tiny pathetic beta male death pod.

you described The Lair currently
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post

She read the fine print on the sabbatical and you didn't. That's a tough one.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I have the messiest cave/studio in the world. Its always full of boxes because I keep buying more gear than I can possibly hold or use. I keep thinking I'll downsize, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Maybe I just need a bigger barn.

the lair is getting bigger

Mine has grown in the last few years... Note the 'leaning tower of Pisa' shelf, a sure sign I am running out of space. To most people, I assume the obvious solution would be to get rid of some. To me though, the answer will be to eventually move somewhere where I can have a larger man cave.

cdcoll1.jpg

... and then a couple of other shelves on the other side of my desk:

cdcoll2.jpg

cdcoll3.jpg

I will try to get photos as soon as i get more things in place, but I appear to have somehow become the happy tenant of a rented property.

Dammit… why have I not seen this thread until now?!?!!!

I am currently disassembling my cavern for a complete remodel...
    05-22-2015 is when this thread started by Jerjo, and I didn't see it until 2016.

I sold my house and moved to another state in 2016. Found the house that definitely fit and moved in June of this year. One of the main selling points was the previous owners did away with their formal dining room and converted it into an office/den and added a loft. That's where I've established shop! I am almost done with my new cave. I'll post a progress pic within the next day or two.

Curious to see how others have established their caves since this thread started...
    Since I am on house arrest ( ) it was prime time to get the cave worked on! 4 days straight of working on it. I'd say I am 80% done and ready to show before and after pics soon.

Anyone else tending to their cave or collections during this crisis?

The eons are closing
    I had started with a refurb myself just before isolation.

I gave back all my ex-bandmates audio gear - drum set, bass cabinets, some old tube amps
    as I couldn't move forward as long as their shit was still set up in my cave.

I have a significant portion of my comic hardcover and TPB collection on Ikea style cheap shelves which needs a total an complete upgrade. plus ran out of room so stuff is piling up

Also want to reset up my Box of Bruford.
    I have Denon DcM-5000 and its 5001 slave (200 discs total). Previously I had placed every disc I had with BB in the changer. That includes all the shows from the LTIA, SABB amd Road to Red sets plus the 80s Thral era shows. Rounded out with studio discs, ind solo stuff. Need to redo and set shuffle to stun!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit