Thread: Jethro Tull - "WarChild" Original Mix vs Remix Demo

Jethro Tull - "WarChild" Original Mix vs Remix Demo

I'm much too wise and have been here far too long to suggest that this'll put the tired old debate to rest, BUT ...

... there's some pretty good evidence in favor of the SW remixes. Check it out.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2..._music?start=1

But...but...it was done with computers! It doesn't sound warm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    But...but...it was done with computers! It doesn't sound warm!!!

This thread will indeed bring out the usual debate, but to me there's no question. As a Tull fanatic, I absolutely LOVE the Wilson surround remixes, they sound amazing on my stereo. I know what I like, and I feel bad for anyone who can no longer enjoy some of their favourite recordings after being told by someone else why they shouldn't. That boggles my mind.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I personally have not gotten on the wagon with the string of SW remixes but i did recently listen to the stereo Warchild remix on cd and did notice it sounded mighty fine. Interesting on that video comparison, the SW remixes have a much more 'open' sound than the originals, big improvement on Sea Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I absolutely LOVE the Wilson surround remixes, they sound amazing on my stereo
    He's REALLY good at 5.1

I played the ELP Trilogy and Tull Minstrel surround layers back to back last weekend and the Tull is so much nicer from a surround standpoint

Every time I play one of his efforts it saddens me that he wasn't the one to do the Genesis boxes

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    He's REALLY good at 5.1

I played the ELP Trilogy and Tull Minstrel surround layers back to back last weekend and the Tull is so much nicer from a surround standpoint

Every time I play one of his efforts it saddens me that he wasn't the one to do the Genesis boxes

BG
    Except that Wilson didn't do Trilogy; Jakko Jakszyk did . Still it's another fine remix. You can sample both approaches on Tull's recent Minstrel, as Wilson does the remix of Minstrel and Jakko does the accompanying live set. Both sound GREAT.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Except that Wilson didn't do Trilogy; Jakko Jakszyk did
    Well, isn't it kind of obvious that I know that based on my comparing the two, (and subsequently the Nick Davis efforts)?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I LOVE the SW JT remixes. The one i think gained the most is actually Benefit. That one went from being a very muffled sounding album to open and inviting.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Well, isn't it kind of obvious that I know that based on my comparing the two, (and subsequently the Nick Davis efforts)?

BG
    Actually, no..it could be taken either way. There are some folk here who like some Wilson remixes and not others, so there ya go.

I'd have, with respect, made that clear..if only because not everyone knows this and, since Wilson did ELP and Tarkus, there are those who might think he did trilogy too......
    Cheers!
    John

How much of that has do do with the mastering and pressing of the vinyl though?? I'd rather hear a cd to cd comparison. The cd of the original mix being a relatively un-fucked-with early release of the album of course.