Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ouzo Friday with lotsa Greek prog in it

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Sfetsas has studied composition in Paris and this record could be dubbed progressive fusion with avant garde edges and a distinct Greek flavor. Lyrics and reciting is by Katerina Gogou, a highly important beatnik Greek poet and actress.
    Whooah! Like a Greek C. Ribeiro or even a femi G. Manset - the same nerve and fury. And, of course, sold out from Amazon.

Michael Bolton was in stock, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Whooah! Like a Greek C. Ribeiro...
    you caught it immediately. But the real deal is the power of Gogou's text, it's like throwing parts of her skin on your face.

I didn't know it was sold out, but we played this on Spotify Saturday night at a gathering, and the host just produced a vinyl copy of the album and - since he no longer has a turntable, and he's no devote audiophile - gave it to me without accepting any money (of course we're close friends). My other close friend has all of Sfetsas works and he claims that it contains many gems, so there's a lot to explore there.

As for Methexis - Topos, it is truly an excellent album that came as a big surprise to me. I'm very happy that it had such an impact on PE connoisseurs.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 02-19-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Eastern Saturday, ouzo and Greek progressive again.

The aboslute classic Kostas Tournas Aperanta Chorafia. For those not in the know; I believe I mentioned this in an earlier post on this thread, but it's a long-form, poetic interconnected song-cycle merging folk, pop, rock, snippets of classical and jazz into a continous narrative portraying the onset of the "new man" as a token of progress and development in the Western cultural process. It basically attempts to take in every bit of contemporary understanding of the "civilizational", especially referring tropes in archaic literature and the playing of those into satirical depictions of the present.

It may sound like a completely awful celebration of intellectual standstill, but truth be told it's one of the most accessible musical works of this ambitious nature that I know. File under Gérard Manset, Phil Ochs, Nico, Van Dyke Parks...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My favourite Greek band are Mode Plagal - very enjoyable jazz/ rock /Greek folk tune fusion.

Voyage Limpid Sound - Electronically Enhanced Dream

Eastern Saturday, ouzo and Greek progressive again.

The absolute classic Kostas Tournas Aperanta Chorafia.
    It is a truly astonishing album, all the more so for us Greek listeners. First of all, Tournas was a very popular name of the Greek pop mainstream in the 80's - so listening to this obscure record all these years later was a big shock for me. How could it be? How could it be that someone this young created such an accomplished piece of music, and all this during the years of the junta? How could he find the means during these bleak years, to hire the orchestra and convince the record company to go for such an unheard of project? What about Tournas' influences, so well hidden in this work, that it seems to have risen from Zeus' head? What about the perfect structure, one of the rarest of examples of a rock epic that shows no signs of confusion or superfluousness?

It still looks like an incredible mystery to me, like some sort of divine intervention that allowed such a beautiful piece of music to appear. I love it, and it moves me profoundly.

(Spyros, if you are around come and explain...)

This is possibly the best record that I come to listen the last couple of years from Greece. Dury Dava 's debut is a seriously convincing take on psych, with obvious influences from Kraut bands like Kraan or Can - and a local, Northern Greek, folk aroma. They sing in Greek - something which was largely condemned from music lovers in...well, Greece.

Wow, how did I missed this thread before. Big fan of everything Greece : music, food, language, the country, everything. Even did a master degree in Ancient Greek History...

I've been enjoying the first Demetrios Roussos album lately. It's quite good. But how I would have loved him to sing in greek. I need to check a lot of stuff mentioned here. So far I only know, Axis, Akritas (my favourite maybe), Aphrodite's Child and Iraklis...

Yamas

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    My favourite Greek band are Mode Plagal - very enjoyable jazz/ rock /Greek folk tune fusion.
    They are great. Ethno-jazz of the highest quality.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Voyage Limpid Sound - Electronically Enhanced Dream
    Their best. Unfortunately they introduced many pop elements later that took head in their music.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 1 Week Ago at 07:19 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

My favourite greek album of late. Kymatic Athens "Hypnodrome"

https://kymaticathens.bandcamp.com/album/--2
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    They are great. Ethno-jazz of the highest quality.
    Very good band, caught them live a couple of times back in the 90's. They were also pivotal in using balkan musical elements in fusion, which was quite a trend back in the days.

My favorite recent-ish Greek artists are Takis Barbagalas, Ciccada, Mother Turtle and Crystal Thoughts.

For all-time faves it would be the aforementioned Kostas Tournas, P.L.J. Band, The 4 Levels Of Existence, and Pete And Royce. I still have a soft spot for those Abaton albums, too.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection