Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you bought new audio equipment...

When you bought new audio equipment...

Whether it was a new Walkman back in the 80s, a discman in the 90s, new receiver/ sound system for the house, boom box, etc, did you ever "christen" it by playing your favorite song, band or album?

What were they?

It's the hardest decision to make. I have lost sleep over it. When I got my new truck in august with its super-nifty stereo I went so far as to make a mix CD of songs that I thought had maximum sonic pop to really give it a good christening. Trial of Tears by Dream Theater, You're Gone by Marillion, She's a River by Simple Minds, If I'm Any Closer by Seal, Telegraph Road by Dire Straits, Oh My God by It Bites and a few others I can't think of at the moment. The stereo held up beautifully. Now I have a USB port in my glove compartment that I can keep 16Gb of music on, which solves the problem of having fifty CDs sloshing around my truck every time I turn a corner.

For years I would use "Imaginary Day" by Pat Metheny Group and "Signify" by Porcupine Tree as examples of great recordings with lots of dynamics and texture. I'd have to think about what albums released in the last 10 years would now qualify...

-noisynoise
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Yes, the ritual usually involved rolling up one (or pouring a pint), get cozy, bust out Yes Fragile.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Yes, the ritual usually involved rolling up one (or pouring a pint), get cozy, bust out Yes Fragile.
    I think he means "involves"

For the cars I like to test the sub immediately in a new system, I usually use Genesis "Can Utility" and Yes "I Would Have Waited" as they have some signature bass notes

I have an Olias pendant that hangs from my mirror - if the bass makes it dance on the heavy notes we're there

As far as home theater upgrades, I usually use Locanda delle Fate "Forse", as it's not only a favorite but one of the best sounding ones as well

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Back in the 70s, it was always my MoFi copy of Dark Siide of the Moon. When I got my second sub, it was "Woofer Cooker", a special track dreated by Boston Acoustics to check car systems.

In a similar vein, I brought my own CD to the store to compare mini-systems, using 'Digging In the Dirt" by Peter Gabriel as the test song. I wanted to hear the low and high ends to compare.
    Last edited by bigbassdrum; 12-28-2012 at 02:52 PM.

In the last few years, I've been using Ayreon's Abbey of Synn to audition speakers and christen new equipment. The first five minutes of this song goes through the full range of lows to highs. I know when I have the right speakers when I get chills from this song.

I often use Atomic Rooster's "Black Snake" for evaluating...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

"When the Levee Breaks"
    "Aja"
    Time"
    "Appalachian Waltz"
    "Even Less"

These are pretty obvious but the latest to join the party is the live version of Alison Krauss and Union Station on "Down to the River to Pray". There's a truly great image on this recording. If the speakers are placed properly, you can close your eyes and as the song begins, Alison is 5-6 feet in front of you, voice like a clear mountain stream.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Black Market by Weather Report was always my standard in the day, moving, new system...but since I upgraded to a digital system recently I went to Porcupine Tree to hear Wilsons mixes etc. Effing brilliant!!!

No.

Usually "Roundabout" for some reason, even though it's not the best recording in my collection. It's one I know well enough to instantly identify speaker deficiencies by hearing it.

A few years ago I made myself a "Speaker Torture Test" CD-R with test tone sweeps, phasing and imaging tests, and clips from the most extreme or hard-to-reproduce music I've ever run across -- all on one 20-minute CD. Very few systems escape unscathed.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Not very original but I always used to start with DSOTM whenever setting up the stereo in a new apartment. I know, yawn...

At least I used the MoFi CD!

Nothing wrong with DSOTM - it's an impeccable recording and your familiarity with it helps you determine if the system measures up.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Being Jewish, no.

meimjustalawnmower
    I haven't bought new equipment since 1991.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Nothing wrong with DSOTM - it's an impeccable recording and your familiarity with it helps you determine if the system measures up.
    Thanks, that was my thinking.

Montrose--Montrose
    DSOTM--Floyd
    The older I get, the better I was.

VDGG---Still Life.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Not very original but I always used to start with DSOTM whenever setting up the stereo in a new apartment. I know, yawn...

At least I used the MoFi CD!
    Same here except started pre CDs with DSOTM on MoFi half speed master album. Actually had it for 2 years before playing it because I wanted it to be the first thing on my turntable, not my brothers. I know, I have issues

I bought my first CD player in the summer of 86 and the first CD I ever bought & played on it was Invisible Touch.

Other than that no, I don't christen new gear, for example, I don't even remember the first CD I played on my new Denon CD player & that's only 18 months old or on the new Denon amp and that's not even a year old.

I do however, relish and choose with care the first piece of vinyl I spin every time I change a stylus or an entire cartridge on either of my turntables.

Can't rermember which album I played for christening my Yamaha hi-fi chain bought in 76 in Toronto

However when buying my NAD hi-fi in my Dutch pad in the mid-00's, I brought around Crime of the Century and A Love Supreme CDs to Hi-fi stores to make my selection... I'd done the same during the 90's for my Marantz/Yamaha hi-fi chain for my Brussels pad during the 90's...

but in both cases, I can't remember what I played first on either chain... I'm sure I thought about it and acted... but my choices never stuck in my memory ... priorities, I guess
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

"Amused To Death" by Roger Waters is the cd of choice for me when comparing speakers!

When I evaluate or buy new equipment for my system, I actually don't automatically reach for my favorite band, song or album first.

Unfortunately, the majority of the music we listen to is not typically the best recorded. So, my first choice in music to play may not necessarily be my favorite (although there may be some overlap). I will usually choose recordings that have a particular attribute or attributes that I want to see how well the equipment is able to reproduce. So, I may end up listening to music I don't particularly like during the eval process.

If the equipment is able to pass certain tests I have for: accuracy, imaging, detail, dynamics, etc, on very demanding, well recorded CD's or records, it will do the best job possible on lower quality recordings also. Once the eval period is over, it's nothing but music I love!
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell