Thread: FEATURED CD: California Guitar Trio - A Christmas Album

FEATURED CD: California Guitar Trio - A Christmas Album

Ho Ho Ho...

Review from ProgArchives (aapatsos)
    I had only heard of samples and scarce tracks from CGT before picking up this ''Christmas Album'', the fourth studio release of the band, on a local CD shop for just 2 euros (!). Based on what I have experienced from the band so far, this album follows a quite different approach. Ten Christmas Songs is actually what you are getting - nothing more and nothing less. As expected, the music is focused on a - solely - guitar interpretation of these famous Christmas tunes.

Nevertheless, the tracks are delivered with reasonable enthusiasm by the band, played with virtuosity while the double and triple guitars are ''filling'' the sound adequately. Soloing is apparent, but not abundant, just enough for the purpose of the album. To my ears, the band retains the ''magic of Christmas'' feeling and the melodies are performed relatively simply with a few balanced touches of improvisation. My personal favourites from this compilation of songs are the Carol of the bells (has been performed by Savatage brilliantly in the past), Greensleeves and God rest ye merry gentlemen.

Acoustic guitar is almost the exclusive instrument, with the successful addition of slide guitars and the ''required'' bells here and there. The mood of the album is generally melancholic, apart from a few exemptions (e.g. Jingle Bells). There is absolutely nothing wrong with this release and the performance of the musicians is at high standards. However, you might find yourself enjoying the album on one occasion, and getting bored on another. It is an album that makes a perfect listen if you are in the ''correct'' Christmas mood. There is no resemblance to progressive music whatsoever but this does not mean that a prog fan will not enjoy it. I have not regretted spending a couple of euros for this pleasant and somewhat nostalgic release.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Hoping to see these guys on Feb. 1 in Gainesville, FL. They always put on a great show as well as obliterating any notions I ever had of being a musician.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Yeah they are amazing live

They are amazing live, and super nice guys to boot. They had plenty of time for anyone who wanted to chat after the show when I saw them last year in Columbia, SC. I also ordered some sheet music and Bert was very helpful if had questions about the pieces.

I just played this last night in my car. It's very good. I have to admit their version of the John Lennon song took me by surprise but I like it. I tend to prefer it when they stick to the acoustic thing and don't do the electric thing but on here it was ok.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)