Thread: Cartoon

Cartoon

So I finally got to this band. Well damn... they kick ass! The release from Cuneiform is quite good. Sortie Thanks for getting that put together on one album, Steve! Liking it a lot so far.

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sortie

I really dig these guys. Easily one of my favorites on the avant side of things.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I really dig these guys. Easily one of my favorites on the avant side of things.
    I really wouldn't classify them as very 'avant'. They were, imo, solidly a classical rock band (1st album) with some amount of more adventurous leanings (2nd album).

Glad you both liked it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I really wouldn't classify them as very 'avant'. They were, imo, solidly a classical rock band (1st album) with some amount of more adventurous leanings (2nd album).
    Funny you should state this; I wholeheartedly agree - see them as much more of a post-Crimsonian, experimental "symph" rock group with a most playful approach to things, think Shylock or Artcane or Kedama, that kinda stuff. I always reacted to Cartoon being held out from the fold when it came to great US "classical prog" acts, as they were contemporaries of Netherworld, Happy the Man, October etc.

Both albums are excellent, I think.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Sortie is a great release. Seems Cartoon was an obvious influence on Kentucky's French TV. My copy of the Sortie CD got swiped during the same burglary that lost me a pair of work boots and a VHS copy of Phil Collins' Buster. At least, that's what I thought; turned out, the thief who broke into my truck discarded Sortie in a mud puddle a few yards away. My CD still plays perfectly, but I haven't been able to read the mud-soaked booklet since about 1995! Too bad, cuz I love reading about heartbreak. Like, having all your gear stolen & then breaking up the band in response. Ouch.

Anywho, Sortie is a great release! Challenging & fun without being avant or edgy.

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    turned out, the thief who broke into my truck discarded Sortie in a mud puddle a few yards away.
    And the bugger kept the friggin' Collins Buster movie?!!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

At least, that's what I thought; turned out, the thief who broke into my truck discarded Sortie in a mud puddle a few yards away.
    That's horrible and funny at the same time.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

He might still be in Athens, GA, kickin' back in those boots, watching Buster on VHS this very day. Meanwhile, I think I'll dust off Sortie.

I'm listening to SHARK and really liking it.

Thanks!

He might still be in Athens, GA, kickin' back in those boots, watching Buster on VHS this very day. Meanwhile, I think I'll dust off Sortie.
    All at the 40 Watt right? lol

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Top notch.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.