Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Greatest piece of music ever written...

I often wonder if this isn't my favorite piece of music ever written

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jazWwnhxIj8

someone mentioned Beethoven's 9th........... i agree

chalkpie
    After giving this some thought, my vote today might go to Satie's Gnossienne No. 1. There is definitely longer, crazier, denser, more intense, etc etc but there is a magical quality to this piece that is indescribable. It's stunningly gorgeous yet evokes an air of mystery and darkness, maybe even a hint of mischief. One single note in the melodic line (the tritone or #11) has such a profound effect. It also reminds me of the picturesque Burgundy region since I was spinning this there when we on our honeymoon in 2004. The perfect piece of music in my view.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Debussy - Jeux 1912 ]
    Jeux is an incredible piece. Love it. Boulez.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    After giving this some thought, my vote today might go to Satie's Gnossienne No. 1. There is definitely longer, crazier, denser, more intense, etc etc but there is a magical quality to this piece that is indescribable. It's stunningly gorgeous yet evokes an air of mystery and darkness, maybe even a hint of mischief. The perfect piece of music in my view.
    I feel the same way about Satie's Messe des Pauvres.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    /thread

I want to hear that.

^ ^ ^

Love that old chestnut...haven't seen it in a while.

I especially like the "Optional: 12th century lute".

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    ^ ^ ^

Love that old chestnut...haven't seen it in a while.

I especially like the "Optional: 12th century lute".
    And don't forget the "remove cattle from stage".

"release the penguins."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    "release the penguins."
    I missed that one. I feel ashamed as a penguin-lover.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I feel ashamed as a penguin-lover.
    How do you think the penguin feels?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

chalkpie
    Penguin in Bondage

'gradually become agitated' gets me for some reason.

Erik Satie was known for his strange "Performance Indications",used in lieu of standard dynamics on his scores.such as.....

"Dry as a cuckoo"
    "Under the pomegranates"
    "With tears in your fingers"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    How do you think the penguin feels?
    At least I have some Penguin Cafe Orchestra and I once wrote a piece 'Music for a lost penguin', so that must compensate the penguin.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Erik Satie was known for his strange "Performance Indications",used in lieu of standard dynamics on his scores.such as.....

"Dry as a cuckoo"
    "Under the pomegranates"
    "With tears in your fingers"
    Yes - ES seemed like a ball buster! Talk about progressive - think about what he was doing when he did it in comparison to his Euro colleagues at the time. Pretty incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yes - ES seemed like a ball buster! Talk about progressive - think about what he was doing when he did it in comparison to his Euro colleagues at the time. Pretty incredible.
    Indeed.Satie was a pioneer in several areas,(apparently) the first to use prepared piano,by slipping sheets of paper between the strings(Le Piege de Meduse);in his use of total chromaticism(Vexations);some call Satie the first minimalist(Gymnopedies);he's also credited with first use of co-ordinated film score and music(Entr'acte)......

F said: "It's stunningly gorgeous yet evokes an air of mystery and darkness, maybe even a hint of mischief".

OMFG. You fucking pu55y ! Love you, Brother. But I sense it's time for intervention, if not regressive psychotherapy ! Quick, use my armpit as a Rorschack ! Hey, just messin' with ya ! (y) All is subjective, and you NORMALLY have good taste. Sending kisses, D

^^ Was that Ron Geesin's score for "Atom Heart Mother"?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    F said: "It's stunningly gorgeous yet evokes an air of mystery and darkness, maybe even a hint of mischief".

OMFG. You fucking pu55y ! Love you, Brother. But I sense it's time for intervention, if not regressive psychotherapy ! Quick, use my armpit as a Rorschack ! Hey, just messin' with ya ! (y) All is subjective, and you NORMALLY have good taste. Sending kisses, D
    Ha - this thing had me rolling! All you have to do is clean the wax out of 'yer ears and you'll hear what I'm hearing too.... .....you pu55y!!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Indeed.Satie was a pioneer in several areas,(apparently) the first to use prepared piano,by slipping sheets of paper between the strings(Le Piege de Meduse);in his use of total chromaticism(Vexations);some call Satie the first minimalist(Gymnopedies);he's also credited with first use of co-ordinated film score and music(Entr'acte)......
    Fuckin' lunatic! You gotta love this guy.

Eric Satie on Vexations: "In order to play the theme 840 times in succession, it would be advisable to prepare oneself beforehand, and in the deepest silence, by serious immobilities." (Pour se jouer 840 fois de suite ce motif, il sera bon de se préparer au préalable, et dans le plus grand silence, par des immobilités sérieuses).

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Could you please mix this one up for those of us who don't know how to do it, and post it here? TIA.
    Your wish is my command:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyqoqt4x2z...o%202.mp3?dl=0