Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mad Max : Fury Road...this movie is INSANE!

Mad Max : Fury Road...this movie is INSANE!

from the first few moments you get a sense that this is going to be epic stuff...the massive crowd scenes in the Citadel and the ancient machinery bring to mind echoes of Mad Max 3, and indeed I feel that this IS the film that Mad Max 3 should have been.

But once the chase scenes start, this is where the films production design really comes into its own...the realisation of the vehicles is just insane...very reminiscent of the second movie, but on a massively expanded scale. And there's no CGI here, these rigs were built for real and they work. All sorts of crazy, mashed-up cars, lorries with lethal spikes on, guys on huge poles swinging between cars etc... but the incredible 'music rig', with its drummers, wall of speakers and crazy guitarist with his flame spewing guitar is probably my fave.

And thankfully there is a story and a plot, and though there are probably 4 or 5 major action set-pieces/chase sequences, the film does take time to breathe, introduce the characters and flesh out the story. It's not a 2 hour, mindless chase movie.

It's possible some people may have an issue with the character of Max himself. He is almost a secondary character here...Charlize Theron's Furiosa certainly gets a meatier role, and Max does not have that much dialogue, and is also very much haunted and conflicted by visions of horror from his past. But this is kind of consistent with his character in the second movie. Indeed that movie did not completely revolve around the central character either, there was far more going on in that movie that was equally as interesting. Same here.

Have to single out Nicholas Hoults unhinged Nux, who throws himself into the role and becomes a far more interesting character as the movie progresses.

I would also go as far as to say that the final chase sequence is as good as, if not better than the climactic chase in the second movie. I found myself pounding the floor with my foot along with the soundtrack during every moment of it.

The music is also excellent...there are echoes of Brian May's classic score in there, but also more modern, driving guitar/synth based tracks.

I cannot recommend this highly enough.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

The movie reviewer on the sports talk radio station I listen to (yes, you read that right ) says it's the best movie this year. He also said it has around 7 minutes of dialogue in it, and lots of car chases and explosions. So, more furious than Furious .

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    from the first few moments you get a sense that this is going to be epic stuff...the massive crowd scenes in the Citadel and the ancient machinery bring to mind echoes of Mad Max 3, and indeed I feel that this IS the film that Mad Max 3 should have been.
    Just returned from the morning 3D matinee and totally agree. Told my son-in-law to be sure to check out the original trilogy w/Mel Gibson, especially The Road Warrior(s). Fury Road seemed to me to exist as a much more relevant and worthy bookend than Thunderdome was. (IMO natch). The chase and fight scenes were jaw-dropping. Loved how the Bad Guy meets his maker...our audience, in particular, let out a collective gasp, with the odd "Whoah!" "oooo!" (or in my case, "Ho---ly SHIT!")

Re: Upcoming CGI-paloozas, the preview shown this morning for San Andreas makes it look worth checking out...
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 05-17-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Good news, since the TV spots make it look so cosmopolitan
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    I saw a preview before "Ex Machina."

It was two minutes of half-second jump cuts between explosions and bodies flying toward the screen. Everything went by so quickly that you didn't have time to focus, much less register what was happening. The net result was a kind of numb despair of ever comprehending what was happening, a kind of fatigue from being slapped a thousand times in the face.

Hopefully the movie itself stays on a scene or two linger than 1/2 second.

Fury Road was the title of a "future" Mad Max installment director George Miller threw out as far back as 15 years ago.

Tonight, I finally got to see that movie, one that "Mad Mel" was originally attached to, and with the only actor working today who could replace him, Tom Hardy, in the title role.

BEST. MOVIE. OF. THE. F__KING. YEAR.

Yeah, yeah, people are jonesing for Star Wars, but unlike that movie, Fury Road isn't a nostalgic circle jerk between cast and crew, it's a self-contained episode within the world we saw in the previous three films circa 1979-1987.

The action is off the hook. There are stunts done onscreen the likes of which, as far as I can recall, I've not seen before. Remember when you were a kid and how exciting it was to see crazy stuntmen perform extremely dangerous moves without the benefit of digital enhancements? This movie brings that excitement back. I'm going to resist dropping spoilers, but there's a certain sequence that takes place "in the canyon" that made me lose my shit.

The cast is excellent, particularly the triumvirate of Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult (Hank McCoy aka Beast from the two most recent X-Men films). The cinematography is wildly vivid and Miller makes every second count.

I'm definitely returning to the theater to check this out again!
    Last edited by dropforge; 05-19-2015 at 10:28 AM.

I'll see it the weekend after Memorial Day (we go to a small town theater that has only one movie on the weekend). This image just kills me.

Doof Warrior.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'll see it the weekend after Memorial Day (we go to a small town theater that has only one movie on the weekend). This image just kills me.

Doof Warrior.jpg
    The best part about it is it's a real guitar/bass.

I'm a huge Mad Max fan. I do have some Dinki Di's in a box somewhere! I am very excited to see this film. Too busy right now, so hopefully this coming weekend. Everyone I know that has seen it say it's an awesome action movie.

I've stayed away from watching too many previews and trailers for this movie. I have downloaded all these interviews and clips so that I may watch after I view the film…

Also nice bit of info that Immortal Joe is played by the same actor who was the Toe Cutter in the first flick!

When i first heard about this i blew it off as a stupid remake like all of the other dreck these days, then i found out about George Miller's involvement and later virtually no CGI, so i became very interested.

This is the movie that should have followed Road Warrior, it completely leaves Thunderdome in the dust.

I pretty much completely agree with Rogue Mail's assessment. It was great fun to see an action movie that didn't suck.
    Last edited by progholio; 05-18-2015 at 07:43 PM.

You guys have convinced me. Have to check it out in a theater soon!

The next movie will be titled Mad Max: The Wasteland.

So happy to hear this is good. I thought Thunderdome sucked, but Road Warrior is one of my favorite movies. Really looking forward to seeing this. Thanks for the reviews guys.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

SOURCE

George Miller's critically acclaimed "Mad Max: Fury Road" landed a distant second in its debut weekend with a solid and expected $44.4 million from 3,702 locations. The high-octane, post-apocalyptic film cost a reported $150 million to make and stars Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy. Reviews for the big-screen action flick were positive, garnering a 99 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Although it cost significantly more than "Pitch Perfect 2" to produce and didn't come close to matching its opening, "Mad Max: Fury Road" still had a promising and successful first weekend in theaters - especially considering the fact that it is R-rated.

"We're very excited about the opening," Warner Bros. President of Domestic Distribution Dan Fellman said. "We're going to have some long legs and some great success on this movie."

The film, which also played in IMAX and 3D, is one of the best reviewed in the studio's history. Fellman said that many of the showings ended with applause, only adding to the hope that word of mouth will contribute to a lengthy and successful run.

Audiences for the film were 70 percent male and 46 percent under the age of 35, according to Warner Bros.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Personally I found all the original movies hard to watch. Maybe the first had its moments.

Saw it last night. Loved it. Completely over the top, of course, but a lot of fun and overall a very, very well-made movie.

I heard that they started filming in Australia (I think,) but the weather was too good, so they took all of those modified vehicles to Africa and filmed the movie there. Had to cost a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Saw it last night. Loved it. Completely over the top, of course, but a lot of fun and overall a very, very well-made movie.
    Maybe "completely over the top" is a positive recommendation on a film with virtually no CGI. I guess I'll have to give it a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    And thankfully there is a story and a plot, and though there are probably 4 or 5 major action set-pieces/chase sequences, the film does take time to breathe, introduce the characters and flesh out the story. It's not a 2 hour, mindless chase movie.
    Jesus, did we see the same movie?

I just got back and "a 2 hour mindless chase movie" is EXACTLY what it was. There was no plot to speak of, no characters of any depth, no surprises or breaks in the action. It was two grueling hours of car/truck/motorcycle chases through the desert, with non-stop explosions and mayhem.

Not unexpected, from what I had heard. But your description made it sound like so much more.

The thing that annoyed me the most -- besides the apparently unlimited petrol and bullets in a collapsed economy -- was the way George Miller sped up the film during every action sequence. Didn't that annoy you? I thought that technique went out with the 1920s.

I will see this eventually, but have to admit I'm not real psyched for it. I'm a HUGE fan of Mad Max and Road Warriors...HUGE! Those flicks have a low budget rawness to them that just adds to their charm. I'm having a hard time picturing it all Hollywooded up.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

I just got back and "a 2 hour mindless chase movie" is EXACTLY what it was. There was no plot to speak of, no characters of any depth, no surprises or breaks in the action. It was two grueling hours of car/truck/motorcycle chases through the desert, with non-stop explosions and mayhem.
    You make it sound like a bad thing!

Road Warrior had a lot of undercranking as well; I guess it's a Mad Max trope now. Although it wasn't every scene.

There was no plot to speak of,
    There is a plot. You really don't know what?

no characters of any depth,
    What did you want/expect, Forrest Gump Meets Lawrence of Arabia? That aside, I'm inclined to disagree with you.

no surprises or breaks in the action.
    Now I know you definitely hit the concession stand 2-3 times, and spent 20 minutes waiting each time. Theater popcorn is expensive, dude.

It was two grueling hours of car/truck/motorcycle chases through the desert, with non-stop explosions and mayhem.
    Sounds like somebody should have revisited The Road Warrior before he left for the theater.

Jesus, did we see the same movie?

The thing that annoyed me the most --- was the way George Miller sped up the film during every action sequence. Didn't that annoy you? I thought that technique went out with the 1920s.
    That technique is the same as it's been since the first Mad Max movie i saw at the drive-in back in 1979. Frankly i found it's use in the new film quite endearing, like i was watching something real.