Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Mad Max : Fury Road...this movie is INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I bought the anthology pack today. Wow, the first Mad Max was worse than I remembered, and I never thought it was that good.
    Seems a little harsh.

In retrospect it is probably the lesser of the movies in the sense that it was very low budget and somewhat crude by today's standard. It was also a typical 80's revenge/exploitation movie of the type that was very prevalent back then, in the wake of Death Wish and similar movies.

It would not be until the second movie that Miller would be able to realise his vision with a larger budget.

That said, it wasn't typical of the sort of movies that were coming out of Australia back then, so for me it still stood out and showed promise. There was a rawness about it that was appealing, and I still think that's part of its charm even now.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I've finished watching it and The Road Warrior, and I agree I failed to mention its good points. There is low-budget charm, and Toecutter leaps off the screen. Perhaps I hold a jaundiced eye towards the rather by-the-numbers revenge script too, and fail to give it props for what originality was there. It was interesting to see the ideas in embryonic form, though.

Nowadays, compared to Fury Road, The Road Warrior looks like low-budget charm! However, TRW truly sets the formula which FR kind of perfects. TRW grew a lot bigger in my memory, but then, as I watched it, I remember thinking even as a young adolescent, that TRW was truly a triumph for a bunch of guys out in the desert with roughly twenty cars and a welding kit. It is still so, IMO. It also helped that Miller kicked up the pacing in the second film.

While still musing on Fury Road, I have to say that the reveal on the War Boys, was just about perfect. How the film reveals little by little, each bit of information weirder than the last, and all of it pretty weird, but all of it hanging together with an internal logic. I guess that's what you get when you've been sitting on an idea for a decade or so.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I just finished Beyond Thunderdome - what a weird cross between Miller and Spielberg that was. It looked like Mad Max, but it didn't feel like it.

Generally, my brain forgets that Thunderdome even exists, apart from the occasions one gets to yell at people, "Two men enter, one man leaves!!"

I'm a Mad Max fanatic. I enjoy Thunderdome. It is a casualty of the PG-13 rating, though.

I think it would have worked as a better Mad Max flick if they started with a car chase/battle and used flashbacks of his child, Sprog, when relating to the children in the oasis. They could have shown Max as still 'mad', but allowing himself to be kinder when the children are involved.

Some great characters in Thunderdome (and all the Mad Max motion pictures… more on that later

I need to watch it again, really... it did seem as if it suffered from an attempt to cross over to the mainstream, which is not what you go for in a Mad Max flick.

Well, the violence was more cartoonish than brutal, particularly when the children were involved. It's hard for me to lodge that a complaint, but I feel that in the other movies, if the violence wasn't brutal, it just wasn't done. Which is to say Miller would tone it down by not having it, but once he put it in, it was all in. The actual storyboard of it must have been pretty cool, even if the actual execution reminded me of The Temple of Doom at times.

So, in watching the Mel-cycle again, I found that Max lost his V8 in TRW. Boom! Gone. Hardy-Max has the V8 at the beginning of FR. So I suppose that the movies aren't supposed to be contiguous, and that Miller isn't overly concerned about continuity, a real reboot. That's fine, particularly if the Hardy-cycle keeps up the quality. As long as each film is self-consistent, I'm not much worried about cross-film consistency.

Just saw the new one. Loved it. Explosions and madness. I'm not an expert on any of the movies, just know that I didn't like Thunderdome. With this one, though, the rawness was back.

I love all the movies, even Beyond Thunderdome, which is partly a story that was intended for another movie. All the scenes and minutes set within Bartertown are great.

From Mad Max… in the garage at the MFP Hall Of Justice, we see what appears to be some type of aircraft. Anyone ever catch that?

Max's personal vehicle has a mural containing a spacecraft that looks very similar to that contraption in the garage.

When I was in Australia back in 2010, I was strolling along minding my own business when I came upon this car that reminded me of Max's car:

The new one is alright. I used to think that the first one is fantastic, I don't know what I would think of it now.
    As I said elsewhere, the new one has fairly poor characters and it's difficult to say whether it's the problem of the actors or they just don't have anything interesting to work with.
    The visuals are fine but nothing outstanding. John Seale has done better.
    Hardy is fine as long as he doesn't speak much. Dan Stevens would have been better.
    The action is good but there isn't as much of it as a lot of people said there is. They said that it's practically non-stop. Wasn't like that. The weirdest thing is that I barely remember with what the movie was filled when the action stopped. I guess with Theron's and Hardy's dialogues and somebody just driving through the desert.
    The film feels a bit empty. Something like "Die Hard" doesn't feel empty. The first "Mad Max" isn't empty. "Escape From New York" was made the same year as "The Road Warrior" and partially is a post-apocalyptic movie and doesn't feel empty as well.

Fans of Fury Road should plop down the cash for the "The Art Of Mad Max Fury Road" book if you're into the minutia of the flick.

I had an Amazon gift card, but on sale for $23.81 (reg. $39.99) it's simply a great bargain for a 176 page hard cover 12" x 11" book.

Excellent insight and backstory for many of the characters. Fantastic behind-the-scenes photos and alternate angles & scenes. I love these types of books. If any of you have the "Making of …" Star Wars series (Empire Strikes Back), this is similar to those.

^Autobuy!

agree, best Tom Hardy ever after Warriors

Finally got to watch the DVD, I had missed this in the theaters.

Jesus what a ride. Action movie of the freaking decade!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I still love how the plot creeps up on you: about a full third into the film the chaos ebbs, and you realize all the characters have an interesting story to resolve.

I am looking forward to this. I've watched this movie no less than a dozen times and will be sure to pick up the massive boxed set!

‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Chrome Edition First Look: George Miller Reveals Why Black-And-White Makes It Even Better

SOURCE

Since “Mad Max: Fury Road” was released last year and garnered widespread critical acclaim, there has been talk about a black-and-white edition of the film that director George Miller describes as the best version of the film. The first Blu-ray disc was supposed to contain this version, but it wasn’t present when the details were announced. But now, a “Chrome” edition of the film will soon be released on Blu-ray that contains Miller’s black-and-white version of the film. Watch a clip below featuring Miller explain why he prefers this version.

In the clip, Miller discusses how he dreamed of releasing a “Mad Max’ film in black and white ever since “Road Warrior” in 1981. He describes seeing a cheap version of the color print when Brian May was composing the score on the soundstage and thinking that’s how the movie should have been released. “”Something about black and white, the way it distills it, makes it a little bit more abstract. Something about losing some of the information of color make it somehow more iconic,” he says.

Miller admits that some scenes in the black-and-white “Fury Road” edition play a lot better than in color and there are others where some information is clearly missing. “But overall, for me,” he says, “it’s the best version of the movie. It’d be interesting to see if you agree.”

The “Chrome” edition of the film will receive a special theatrical release at the 2016 SpectreFest in Los Angeles on November 1. This version of the film will be available on Blu-ray in two editions on December 6: the two-disc “Black & Chrome” edition that will contain the original theatrical cut of “Fury Road” and the new black-and-white one; and the eight-disc “High Octane” edition that contains all four films in the series and the B&W cut as well.

Hell to the yes!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart