Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mad Max : Fury Road...this movie is INSANE!

A lot of you are thinking way too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    So, this is Mad Max IV? They're doing another chase thing? My gripe about Road Warrior was that the whole chase thing was to capture a tanker full of petrol and the rival clan probably consumed at least that trying to stop the truck. They should've known they were being duped (I guess they weren't supposed to be very sharp).
    It isn't the same sort of chase from TRW and MM:BT. I'd tell you, but if you intend to watch it (and if you like the other movies, you should), I don't want to spoil it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    you couldn't have guessed it ahead of time??

I mean, it really stinks for miles around
    What a freakin' curmudgeon.

So, this is Mad Max IV? They're doing another chase thing? My gripe about Road Warrior was that the whole chase thing was to capture a tanker full of petrol and the rival clan probably consumed at least that trying to stop the truck. They should've known they were being duped (I guess they weren't supposed to be very sharp).
    has there been one MM that didn't have that as the only plot??

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It isn't the same sort of chase from TRW and MM:BT. I'd tell you, but if you intend to watch it (and if you like the other movies, you should), I don't want to spoil it.
    Even the first one is mostly a chase on open roads... But that one is held in greener pastires instead of the desert

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    A lot of you are thinking way too hard.
    Just take the "way too hard" out ... Those who won't go see this are just plain "thinkling"

those who went and didn't like it, didn't think enough

Those who went and liked it are not thinking at all

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    What a freakin' curmudgeon.
    yeeeessssssssssssss!!!!!...................
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

I thought Mad Max was merely ok. Road Warrior has the greatest chase sequence ever filmed and thats it (clearly the writers took a page out of WWE's playbook). Thunder Dome wasn't to everyone's liking but I enjoyed the first two-thirds of it (dumb ending).

The first one was a low budget, revenge drama. Looking back its probably the one movie that actually revolves around the character of Max completely, it's his personal story of how he loses everything and becomes the burnt-out loner of the later movies. It also hinted at what was to come, the breakdown of society and the fuel shortages.

But the second one raised it to a whole new level...the worst had indeed happened, and what I like about the second movie (apart from the stunning action sequences) is the realisation and depiction of what the world has become. I particularly like the way Miller allowed the audience to fill in the blanks, he did not need to show us what had happened, or what had driven people to become what there were...our imaginations did that for us.

And I still think this is the best of the films.

The third movie was problematic...they went for epic, indulged in stunt casting (Tina Turner), and it contained a protracted and frankly silly segment involving a bunch of cute, feral kids. On the plus side it did have great production values, Thunderdome and Bartertown was very well realised, the final chase sequence, whilst not as good as the one in the second movie, was not bad...and it did have Bruce Spence as the gyro captain.

I also felt they had softened the character of Max far too much, he became a sort of pied-piper figure. As I said earlier, I believe Fury Road is the movie that the third one aspired to be.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

has there been one MM that didn't have that as the only plot??

Even the first one is mostly a chase on open roads... But that one is held in greener pastires instead of the desert

I disagree, I don't believe ANY of the movies had a chase sequence as the main plot.

The first movie opened with a chase sequence, but the vast majority of the rest of the movie revolved around the stalking of and eventual death of Max' family, and him tracking down the gang one by one and extracting revenge. I think there is a chase sequence near the end, and maybe another one somewhere else, but that's about it.

The second one only had three chase sequences...a very short one in the opening scene, one near the middle where Max goes out and finds the tanker, and the major chase scene at the end.

The third one had one single chase scene, again the big one at the end.

This is more about the reputation and perception of these movies rather than the reality...people remember them for the action sequences more than anything else, but there was far more to them than that.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

This is more about the reputation and perception of these movies rather than the reality...people remember them for the action sequences more than anything else, but there was far more to them than that.
    Yeah, in a way, you're right...

But even in To Live & Die In LA (with its awesome chase on the freeways), I tend to remember the plot, even three decades after seeing it...

Except for the (rather flimsy) MM1 plot (and its rather blurry a memory), I don't remember the plots of the other MMs... I think a tanker truck was the object in MM2, but that's about it.

let me put it another way, the MM movies are all action (not just chases), with a semblance of storyline was glued in to make-believe that they were "cinema films".
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Yeah, in a way, you're right...

But even in To Live & Die In LA (with its awesome chase on the freeways), I tend to remember the plot, even three decades after seeing it...

Except for the (rather flimsy) MM1 plot (and its rather blurry a memory), I don't remember the plots of the other MMs... I think a tanker truck was the object in MM2, but that's about it.

let me put it another way, the MM movies are all action (not just chases), with a semblance of storyline was glued in to make-believe that they were "cinema films".
    Have to totally disagree, you are going on very hazy memories of these movies, and your assessment is completely inaccurate.

The first one is a revenge drama, pure and simple.

The second one is essentially a survival story - the scarcity of oil is the catalyst around which the plot revolves, but its also about a group of people looking for a better way of life, away from the savagery and horror of the wasteland.

The third (my least favourite) tries to extend the themes of the second, and shows a bit more hope for humanity - things are not perfect but there is a semblance of order, and a law of sorts.

There is a vast chasm between your vague memories of watching the films years ago, and what they are actually about.

Have to totally disagree, you are going on very hazy memories of these movies, and your assessment is completely inaccurate.

There is a vast chasm between your vague memories of watching the films years ago, and what they are actually about.
    I'd agree with you that I have some rather faint memories of the plots (is there a cause to the effects? >> absolutely weak), but I remember full well the violent scenes (including the ugly kind of midget losing his hand trying to catch some boomerang weapon)... And that's the way the films were built... so you'd remember the action scenes

so yeah, faint memories (I plead guilty ) and bad opinions will not cause me to revisit the first three and won't change my mind in avoiding the new one (unless someday, there is nothing else on program that night, and my entire music collection got stolen that very morning

I'd agree with you that I have some rather faint memories of the plots (is there a cause to the effects? >> absolutely weak), but I remember full well the violent scenes (including the ugly kind of midget losing his hand trying to catch some boomerang weapon)... And that's the way the films were built... so you'd remember the action scenes

so yeah, faint memories (I plead guilty ) and bad opinions will not cause me to revisit the first three and won't change my mind in avoiding the new one (unless someday, there is nothing else on program that night, and my entire music collection got stolen that very morning
    So then..., its safe to say that Trane doesen't care for MM?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

^Yeah, it wasn't a "midget," it was the guy who voiced the now-famous phrase "Ayatollah of Rock 'n Rolla!"

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    So then..., its safe to say that Trane doesen't care for MM?
    yyyyuuuuupppp!!!!.....

But I'm preaching for the anti-MM-chapel, just for kick's sane

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The third movie was problematic...they went for epic, indulged in stunt casting (Tina Turner), and it contained a protracted and frankly silly segment involving a bunch of cute, feral kids. On the plus side it did have great production values, Thunderdome and Bartertown was very well realised, the final chase sequence, whilst not as good as the one in the second movie, was not bad...and it did have Bruce Spence as the gyro captain.

I also felt they had softened the character of Max far too much, he became a sort of pied-piper figure. As I said earlier, I believe Fury Road is the movie that the third one aspired to be.
    I agree with this sentiment, though like Trane, my memory is rather fuzzy regarding this franchise. I do remember the bit about the kids and how Indiana Jones like it was. But this was the mid-80s and the anti-hero had to be watered down and movies had to have feel good moments. I haven't had the urge to revisit the MM movies but don't dislike them. I like Mel Gibson's Mad Max character way better than his insufferable Riggs character from Lethal Weapon.

I remember after the Road Warrior movie there were two different Pro-wrestlers in the US that went under the Humongous guise and a tag-team called The Road Warriors.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Still haven't seen it. Thank you all for talking about it without spoilers - BTW. I will most likely see it next weekend.

I have fondness for the franchise, but don't want to build it up beyond what it actually is. For me, whose dim, childhood political consciousness was of Jimmy Carter's election and gas rationing, and an ever-present threat of a world-annihilating nuclear war with the USSR, The Road Warrior picked up threads already well laid in my boyish imagination. It locked in every bit as much as George Lucas and George Romero.

I like that comment about the softening of the antihero in the '80s. The antihero certainly had a heyday in the '70s, which I think never really returned. Look what ultimately happened to Han Solo.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Still haven't seen it. Thank you all for talking about it without spoilers - BTW. I will most likely see it next weekend.

I have fondness for the franchise, but don't want to build it up beyond what it actually is. For me, whose dim, childhood political consciousness was of Jimmy Carter's election and gas rationing, and an ever-present threat of a world-annihilating nuclear war with the USSR, The Road Warrior picked up threads already well laid in my boyish imagination. It locked in every bit as much as George Lucas and George Romero.

I like that comment about the softening of the antihero in the '80s. The antihero certainly had a heyday in the '70s, which I think never really returned. Look what ultimately happened to Han Solo.
    Who needs spoilers? None of the characters vital to a sequel will die.

Han Solo was downgraded from antihero to regular-guy-with-a-smart-mouth in 1980.

Some great antiheroes of the last 35 years:

Snake Plissken in Escape from New York, Seth Gecko (From Dusk Till Dawn), Mel Gibson in the role of Porter (aka Parker) in Payback, DeNiro's McCauley in (Heat), and so on. And how about that great little movie that came out last year called John Wick?

And who can forget this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWx6...layer_embedded

We are taking my dad to see the movie this afternoon.

Same here!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The Avengers just made it to our small town theater so we saw it last night. Next week, the first R-rated movie they've shown since American Sniper, Mad Max: Fury Road.

I'm so fucking there.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I mean....this is Mad Max so you pretty much know what you are going to get. Great movie to see on the big screen in a theater for sure. Charlize Theron is really the star, and once again does a great job. They guy who played the original Toe Cutter in the first movie is the bad guy in this one and also does a bang up job. Some of the stunts were incredible. All in all I dug it.

Before the film started they ran a clip with the actor who plays Toe Cutter / Immortal Joe telling people to turn their cell phones off and basically shut the fu*k up during the movie. It was pretty funny.

I'm in the thoroughly enjoyed it camp, for the camp, but also for the creativity of the vehicles, stunts and apocalyptic vision. Story-shmory, this is an action film first and foremost and on that it succeeds. My father-in-law and brother-in-law went the day after I did and came away completely entertained. Oh, there was one girl in the entire audience when I went.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Anybody complaining about a lack of dialogue or plot is pretty much missing the point. This is a sledgehammer (actually, maybe more of a jackhammer) of an action movie.....a completely visceral experience that I believe stands as a pretty great work of art. It is what it is.....and for what it wanted to be, I think it succeeded in spades. I had a smile on my face for the whole movie, and there were more "holy shit, that's cool!" moments than an entire summer of movies.

I mean, that damn guitar player....how cool was that?

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Hoo-boy, "pretty great work of art." That's a bit farther than I'm willing to go.

Exciting, action packed, great stunts, cool vehicles -- yeah I can buy that.

But I was bothered by many things. Why are all the children bald and painted white? If water is such a scarce resource why does the leader release it into the dirt? Where does the gasoline come from for all these vehicles? Why are the women kept like cattle, pregnant and dressed in lingerie? Where did all the explosives come from? Why was Furiosa taking these women to The Green Place? If the Green Place was all gone, what did The Mothers live on? Looked like a big sand dune to me ....

I dunno. Maybe I'm analyzing too much.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I dunno. Maybe I'm analyzing too much.
    Based on previous posts here and other threads, I will go with this answer, also.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post

I mean, that damn guitar player....how cool was that?
    My wife and father both thought the guitar player was stupid, but I thought it was cool as hell. Playing your own soundtrack as you chase across the desert. Not all that different a concept from fife a drum corps that used to lead troops in the revolutionary war.