Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mad Max : Fury Road...this movie is INSANE!

Yeah. Those fast jump cuts to someone's face/eyes just before they bite it (heh,heh): It's what I remember about Road Warrior (aka Mad Max II) and George Miller's style when I first saw it in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Yeah. Those fast jump cuts to someone's face/eyes just before they bite it (heh,heh): It's what I remember about Road Warrior (aka Mad Max II) and George Miller's style when I first saw it in the 80's.
    Was he not the first one to do it? I have seen it done in countless horror movies over the years, but can’t recall ever seeing it done before the original Mad Max.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Jesus, did we see the same movie?

I just got back and "a 2 hour mindless chase movie" is EXACTLY what it was. There was no plot to speak of, no characters of any depth, no surprises or breaks in the action. It was two grueling hours of car/truck/motorcycle chases through the desert, with non-stop explosions and mayhem.

Not unexpected, from what I had heard. But your description made it sound like so much more.

The thing that annoyed me the most -- besides the apparently unlimited petrol and bullets in a collapsed economy -- was the way George Miller sped up the film during every action sequence. Didn't that annoy you? I thought that technique went out with the 1920s.

Hard not to sound a bit Bill Lumbergh here...but I'm gonna have to sort of...ahhh...go ahead and...disagree with you here..yahhhh?

There clearly WERE breaks in the action...did you sleep during these?

Granted the Max character was not the main focus, but you seem to have missed the notion that this was basically Furiosa's story, hence the emphasis on her character.

You also seemed to have missed the whole prologue sequence, the establishing sequence in the Citadel, the encounter with the 'mothers' in the desert, the stilt walkers in the muddy desert, and the many, many dialogue sequences that punctuated the chase scenes.

Clearly we either did not watch the same movie, or one of us was in some sort of altered or possibly catatonic state when we did.
    Last edited by Rogue Mail; 05-22-2015 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Retracted offensive statement
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Hey, I have no issue with someone disagreeing and having alternate viewpoints, but when someone posts something as flagrantly nonsensical, factually incorrect and frankly contentious as this...I have to ask...did your mother have any kids that actually lived?
    I haven't seen this movie yet, but I've been following this exchange, and I was enjoying your post. I have to ask, though: was this last bit really necessary? There's no need for such nastiness, man.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    I don't mind. I was being somewhat hyperbolic with my review -- yes there were brief breaks in the car chase, yes there were characters besides Max, and yes The Citadel was not part of the otherwise endless car chase through the desert.

But.

This was not a film I would consider "intellectual" or "morally ambiguous" or "multidimensional." It was the opposite of a "chick flick." It was misogynistic and logically garbled and horribly overblown -- a video game without any controls. I wasn't surprised -- given the franchise -- but I left the theatre feeling dirty.

"I just feel like this whole generation maybe all need to eat a steak"

-Alice Cooper

It was misogynistic
    Many, many people disagree.

I left the theatre feeling dirty.
    Please give us your thoughts on the Human Centipede trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I haven't seen this movie yet, but I've been following this exchange, and I was enjoying your post. I have to ask, though: was this last bit really necessary? There's no need for such nastiness, man.
    Hands up...guilty as charged. Have edited and removed the offending statement.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

I don't mind. I was being somewhat hyperbolic with my review -- yes there were brief breaks in the car chase, yes there were characters besides Max, and yes The Citadel was not part of the otherwise endless car chase through the desert.

But.

This was not a film I would consider "intellectual" or "morally ambiguous" or "multidimensional." It was the opposite of a "chick flick." It was misogynistic and logically garbled and horribly overblown -- a video game without any controls. I wasn't surprised -- given the franchise -- but I left the theatre feeling dirty.
    Good of you to take it in good spirit, but on reflection it was harsh so have removed and edited it from the post.

My profuse apologies Sir...I will now flagellate myself with whips and chains for the next 3 days as suitable punishment...

Ah shucks you probably enjoy that sort of thing.

As to Human Centipede, I have so far avoided that experience. So many people have described it in such unflattering terms that I've begun to wonder why anyone would intentionally subject themselves to it.

But hey, you probably enjoy that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

Please give us your thoughts on the Human Centipede trilogy.
    They made three of those??
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Many, many people disagree.
    Doesn't matter what anyone else says, I saw it with my own eyes. I don't need somebody else to tell me what to think.

Ah shucks you probably enjoy that sort of thing.

As to Human Centipede, I have so far avoided that experience. So many people have described it in such unflattering terms that I've begun to wonder why anyone would intentionally subject themselves to it.

But hey, you probably enjoy that sort of thing.

Human Centipede comment was not mine dude. Dropforge's, I believe.

That's one of those movie where the very concept is enough to dissuade me from ever watching it. Not big on horror at all, just like a few...but movie like this that seem to go for disgust rather than horror are just not my bag.

Same goes for A Serbian Film...what I have read about that movie? Don't matter that it's just a movie...certain things are just going too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Dropforge's, I believe.
    Nah. Klonk's.

Nah. Klonk's.

Ah feck it...I'm lost now...who cares. Peace and love and all that shit etc...and...wibble.

Oops! I meant Scott's!

Going today at 1:45 to see in XD 3D!! Shhh, sneaking out of work.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Saw it last night. Loved it. Completely over the top, of course, but a lot of fun and overall a very, very well-made movie.
    I have no doubts about this, but this is a shameless exploitation flick, with a scenario about as thick a rolling paper and it can be written twice on it.

This can be resumed as a senseless infernal race for a doubtfull quest

BTW:
    I had seen MM2 in the theatre with a bunch of buddies (I was wowed on the spur of the moment, but ultimately not impressed),
    then I saw MM1 on VHS (I kind of liked that one >> it had a semblance of a storyline),
    and saw bits of MM3 on TV (there was nothing else on that night)
    I have no intention of seeing MM4 either, unless by accident.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

There is a movie review thread............................

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    There is a movie review thread............................
    sssssssooooooooooooooooooooo????????????????...... ........................................

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I went and saw the movie today based on this thread. What a total waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I went and saw the movie today based on this thread. What a total waste of time.

What can I say? There are no guarantees in life, son...

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    you couldn't have guessed it ahead of time??

I mean, it really stinks for miles around

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    you couldn't have guessed it ahead of time??

I mean, it really stinks for miles around
    I smelled it.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I thought Mad Max was merely ok. Road Warrior has the greatest chase sequence ever filmed and thats it (clearly the writers took a page out of WWE's playbook). Thunder Dome wasn't to everyone's liking but I enjoyed the first two-thirds of it (dumb ending).

So, this is Mad Max IV? They're doing another chase thing? My gripe about Road Warrior was that the whole chase thing was to capture a tanker full of petrol and the rival clan probably consumed at least that trying to stop the truck. They should've known they were being duped (I guess they weren't supposed to be very sharp).