Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B.B. King RIP

B.B. King RIP

Seems to be breaking news that B.B. King has passed away. Not altogether unexpected given the stories about (and squabbles relating to) his poor health in recent months, but sad nevertheless.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/king-blues...0.html#Rkb0UEX

Only got to see him live once. He was far from my favorite blues player, but a legend all the same.

Wow, he was the first Black blues artiste that I got hooked to when I was in my blues phase (that was between 77 nd 83), though he was soon overtaken by some others (namely Muddy Waters).... but he certainly lasted longer than all of them. I believe he's (or was) the last one of the generation of giants, right??

RIP, BB!!

Thanks for some superb solo and some of the most expresive facial mimics.

My condeleances to Lucille, btw. She'll definitely miss him.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A true 'guitar' legend!-RIP

Very sad to hear this. It's impossible to state just how important BB King was to the music that we hold dear. RIP to somebody who perhaps more than most deserves the epithet of 'legend'.

Last night I was just watching a documentary about the history of the guitar and BB was interviewed. He looked in bad health, and he was 83-84 when the docu was made. Now this morning I saw the news on some news site. I knew threr'd be a thread here.

I've gone through a couple of heavy blues phases in my life. I must've been 12-13 years old when I first noticed BB. I remember seeing him on one of those old daytime, TV talk shows, like Mike Douglas or Dick Cavett. I was impressed with his vibrato and tone (but never thought of buying his records). Overall he was never a huge, huge favorite but at 12-13 yo I liked his playing as much as or more than Eric or Jeff.

RIP Blues Boy

I was fortunate to see BB recently and his health was poor then.. Two people literally walked him out to his chair strapped on his guitar and the gave the band a simple nod and they were off.. Wonderful show..

The Thrill is Gone. I can't say he was my favorite either, but after Robert Johnson, I would say he was the most influential on the Blues. He could say the most with the least effort.

Eric Clapton posted a very sad and personal FaceBook announcement on B.B.'s death. He even recommended Live at the Regal to anyone who was not familiar with his playing.

A giant.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Astoundingly massive influence on so many players. RIP to a genuine legend.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Wow, RIP, BB. A TRUE legend.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    RIP
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Thanks for the music Mr.King.I'll spin Live at The Regal today.

Rest In Peace.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    RIP

I got to see him play a couple times: great shows. Yeah, a legend, a giant, and from all that I could tell, a real class act.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Seriously bummed when I heard this morning. Playing nothing but B.B. King CDs in my office today. My secretary can work somewhere else if she can't handle it. Saw him play many times in the 70s and 80s. He was a big part of my growing up. Not unexpected but I'm pissed all the same.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Saw him once, in the early 90s. He was the consummate showman, smooth as glass but still able to find excitement in playing live. His passing leaves only Buddy Guy as the last of the blues masters.

I've always liked this little studio jam from the classic Indianola Mississippi Seeds album. Bill Szymczyk did a nice job of adding the little string section to the fadeout.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Caught him four or five times between '69 & '71, pretty much in his prime. A definitively American musician whose Live @ the Regal defines the word "essential." You knew him after only one note. RIP...........
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Absolutely the end of an era. Buddy Guy is pretty much the only "real deal" blues original still left.

I saw BB twice, both great shows. RIP.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I saw B.B. many times over the years , a giant in the world of blues music. RIP

Mere words...RIP BB.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

RIP BB KING

Not Prog I know but a music legend none the less. Died in his sleep last night at the age of 89 at his home in Las Vegas. He influenced many and his music will live on. "The thrill is gone", but not forgotten.....

There is a thread already in the O/T forum about his passing. And yes, a huge legend who influenced an immeasurable number of players.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Very sad, but hey, he was 89 and played damn near right to the end.
    We have a great local community radio station that will be playing as much BB as the FCC will allow (actually they did while he was alive).

^^^ Oops my bad, had not made it to the O/T forum yet , sorry