Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B.B. King RIP

I know it hasn't been mentioned yet but I always liked the song he did with U2 "when love comes to town." Does anyone remember that?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    B.B. King’s Greatest Performance

Nice memorial article to a great musician.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I saw B.B. twice; once in the late '60s, once in the early '70s. Despite the meaning of "the blues," his shows left you with anything but. He was all about optimism and making you feel that whatever you're going through, everything is going to turn out fine. Terrific entertainer, aside from being an iconic legend.

R.I.P., B.B.

Just a quick note, saw Jeff Beck in concert last night. He played The Thrill is Gone in tribute to BB King as their last song.

Banned
    On August 24, 1990, I saw BB. His first statement at the mike was to announce the passing of Stevie Ray Vaughn on that date. RIP BB King and SRV.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I know it hasn't been mentioned yet but I always liked the song he did with U2 "when love comes to town." Does anyone remember that?
    They played it for the first time in 22 years the other night as a tribute-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Well Buddy Guy came to prominence later again than B.B. King, but I can't think of any major figure in blues that is still with us who predates Buddy Guy. I watched the Stones/Scorsese film 'Shine A Light' again a few weeks back and for me 'Champagne And Reefer' with Guy is by far the highlight.
    Buddy Guy is still an amazing live performer. I have seen him several times in the last few years and he still has it going on.

We saw Tab Benoit this past Friday night here in Raleigh - thunderous blues show tinged with bittersweet as he played with BB several times, even playing his guitar at some point too.

Steve:

Tab was telling us the story about his gig back in the early 1990's in LA - - - where he was warming up BB at the time. BB took Tab into his bus - where there was Ike Turner waiting on a huge couch = with one woman on each arm (Ike sandwich). BB introduced Tab to Ike Turner - - - and then going on to explain that Ike was the person who arranged BB to get his first record deal back in the day (1950's) - - - all good stuff. After a few minutes of conversation - it was obvious that Ike was high on something, and kept on calling Tab the name "Chad" instead - - - and that BB was just letting "all of that slide" and "was too good a dude" to correct Ike on the naming error..... LOL .....

If you've ever seen Tab Benoit - you'd know how much a good story teller and ball buster he is up on stage - - - it was super cool.

Tab played several songs of BB's that night - then Mel Melton (a local Cajun blues legend) came out with his guitarist, washboardist (fucking incredible 6'6" Lumbee dude on parole) and Mel on the harp . . . for one final song to close out the night (Albert Collins) "Dirty Dishes" - - - it took the cake . . .

~JK

Saw him 33 years ago... A true legend!

His 1974 "Live in Africa" show in Kinsasa is awesome!

Last edited by spacefreak; 05-18-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS