Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frank Zappa: Joe's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post

JG acts 2 and 3 have a few great pieces, namely Packard Goose and Outside Now.
    Both awesomely treated by the '88 band!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Finally, from JKL 2000, great idea to have JG without narration. I could definitely live without it too.
    The same way that Pete Townshend knew it was a good idea to release the version of Psychoderelict without the narration/dramatic bits, it would have been nice if FZ had thought of that for JG I. I'm not familiar with parts II and III, not having heard them in over 20 years.

I don't know about the whole taking-out-the-narration idea. Maybe I'm biased as someone who talks for a living , but for me a work should stand or fall on what it is. If you take something out of an artwork, it's not the same thing anymore.

But that's just me. Personally I like the Central Ska-rootinizer.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

The first disc is cool. Don't like the second disc much

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Both awesomely treated by the '88 band!
    I picked up Broadway The Hard Way recently. Great rendition of Outside Now on this CD.

As for the guitar solos on Joe's Garage, On The Bus aka Occam's Razor is pretty great!

The Ryko CD is very bright sounding. I'd like to hear the new edition.

It's interesting to hear people say that Watermelon In Easter Hay is "Frank's most emotive solo, but not his best". I guess I go against the grain, but I put a priority on "feel" over whatever is happening in, let's say, Inca Roads, for instance. Maybe the Inca Roads solo is more technically accomplished, and I surely enjoy listening to it, but I rate Watermelon In Easter Hay as the pinnacle of the work of "Frank Zappa, guitarist". The playing is beautiful and I love the guitar tones he has on it too.

As for it being "sentimental" (as if that's some kind of crime), of course it is. The piece represents Joe bidding farewell once and for all to "the dream". It's his final "imaginary guitar solo" as he accepts that a sad civilian life is all that is in his future.

And on the topic of a "no narration" version, I do often times wish I could have a version of Watermelon In Easter Hay without the Central Scrutinizer talking up the intro. It would work much nicer for the purposes of radio airplay (or whatever the hell you want to call the joke fest of a waste of 3 hours I commit to every Friday night).

Joe's Garage is a complicated, multifaceted work. At it's surface, its another 'comedy album' in the vein of Sheik Yerbouti, but if you dig deeper, there's a lot musically to discover underneath. If you aren't into his bawdy sense of humor, this is not for you, but the playing on it (specifically the rhythm section) is phenomenally slick. Also, the sound is tremendous, particularly on the new remaster, and you can really hear the nuances of FZ's guitar work and Vinnie Colaiuta's drums punch through beautifully. It's a little inconsistent on Acts II and III, but if you enjoy Frank's music, I think you need it. It's an essential listen for a Frank fan and perhaps his last great work in the rock realm (in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Joe's Garage is a complicated, multifaceted work. At it's surface, its another 'comedy album' in the vein of Sheik Yerbouti, but if you dig deeper, there's a lot musically to discover underneath. If you aren't into his bawdy sense of humor, this is not for you, but the playing on it (specifically the rhythm section) is phenomenally slick. Also, the sound is tremendous, particularly on the new remaster, and you can really hear the nuances of FZ's guitar work and Vinnie Colaiuta's drums punch through beautifully. It's a little inconsistent on Acts II and III, but if you enjoy Frank's music, I think you need it. It's an essential listen for a Frank fan and perhaps his last great work in the rock realm (in my opinion).
    That's a really good assessment, ZW! Although I think I'd put Drowning Witch as his last great rock effort myself. Nothing in between the two though.

Yeah, hard to argue with Drowning Witch. Aside from Valley Girl, its a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    That's a really good assessment, ZW! Although I think I'd put Drowning Witch as his last great rock effort myself. Nothing in between the two though.
    You Are What You Is, is pretty great imo. And the last album featuring FZ's 70s style guitar playing before he switched to the whammy bar 80s style. I'm a bit hesitant about picking up any more new remasters. IMO, some of these sound a bit muddy to my ears. But I think this is the way Joe Travers likes to hear it.

As far as Joe's Garage sounding thin, it was a half speed mastered album which usually means a bright top end. Too bright for my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I thought Them Or Us was his last great "rock" album, unless one counts Make A Jazz Noise Here, which I think is a pretty solid live album.

The thing about Drowning Witch is, I still think Frank made a mistake by breaking up the Drownign Witch/What's New In Baltimore?/Moggio suite. Those three pieces of music, if they had been released as they were performed on the 81 US tour, would have made a perfect LP side.

Oh, and since it was mentioned by Reid, I actually prefer Frank's "80's whammy bar style" guitar playing. Particularly during the 81-82 period, I thought he got some amazing sounds from that custom Strat with the Floyd Rose and custom EQ system built-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    I don't know about the whole taking-out-the-narration idea. Maybe I'm biased as someone who talks for a living , but for me a work should stand or fall on what it is. If you take something out of an artwork, it's not the same thing anymore.

But that's just me. Personally I like the Central Ska-rootinizer.
    where's the LIKE button?

Jesus christ I can't believe this thread. If you can't deal with Zappa, get out of the Dangerous Kitchen. He's a genius and this album is high art. Yes, if you can't get it, just move on. It's not for you then. It's perfect the way it is. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    That didn't exactly answer my question, unless you're trying to say that Sy Borg was an alien.
    i thought with the name sy borg and all that it was sort of understood to be a robot or human robot conglomeration of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    where's the LIKE button?

Jesus christ I can't believe this thread. If you can't deal with Zappa, get out of the Dangerous Kitchen. He's a genius and this album is high art. Yes, if you can't get it, just move on. It's not for you then. It's perfect the way it is. Perfect.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Yeah, how dare any fans of a musician not absolutely slobber over and idolize every little note he ever produced?

where's the LIKE button?

I can't even imagine Joe's Garage without the narration. Honestly, I can't.

Those of you who remain unafraid of the Central Scrutinizer are playing with fire IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    i thought with the name sy borg and all that it was sort of understood to be a robot or human robot conglomeration of some sort.
    It's pretty clear to me that Sy Borg is a sex giving/receiving robot. In 1979 it may have seemed far-fetched,but I'll tell ya' we are heading in this direction. It's already been invented folks. "You're plooking too hard. You're plooking too hard on meeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Just don't don't let your golden showers short out the master circuits. That could be dangerous.

where's the LIKE button?

No disagreement, but you know FZ didn't believe in the high/low art distinction. I see the Central Scrutinizer as the western secular version of a theocratic tyrant. This album being produced shortly after the Islamic revolution in Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yeah, how dare any fans of a musician not absolutely slobber over and idolize every little note he ever produced?
    That's right, Dave, that's what I'm doing. Raving about ONE three record set in a career with 70 or 80 albums is "slobbering over and idolizing every little note ever produced"

fantastic.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Well, you accused this thread's critics of the ONE three record set in a career with 70 or 80 albums of being unable to "deal with Zappa", didn'tcha?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    It's already been invented folks. "You're plooking too hard. You're plooking too hard on meeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
    damn i musta missed that month of Penthouse.