Thread: Lenny Kravitz

Lenny Kravitz

Any fans/recommendations?

wrong board

Are You Gonna Go My Way?, Circus, 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    wrong board

Everybody gets discussed here...

I saw Lenny live circa 1993 to please a female friend of mine. I left having seen a very good, high energy show. I don't know any of his albums though...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

wrong board
    ^What he said
    But since you asked my best recommendation is to skip Kravitz and buy some good Hendrix and Love records.

wrong board
    I've seen Phil Collins discussed on here lol

I like Lenny but his albums seem generally very spotty to me. He's a classic mix tape artist; gems hidden among the dreck.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I like Lenny but his albums seem generally very spotty to me. He's a classic mix tape artist; gems hidden among the dreck.
    beg to differ...

The debut Let Love Rule is flawless (I'd place it halfway in my top 100 post-70's albums)

But that's the only one, even if the next three have some pretty good moments...

Lost track of his career afterwards.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I remember LLR as being just sort of... samey sounding. But I know it did have some great songs, including the title cut, one of my faves. I will probably check it out again at some point..

I remember LLR as being just sort of... samey sounding.
    The next three (AYGGMY?, Circus, 5) are all better. 5 is the one with the big hit "Fly Away." After that, the albums aren't as consistent. Baptism has some killer songs, though. Haven't heard his last several albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Lenny live circa 1993
    Same here. He opened for The Cult. However, a local hair metal band (no shit) opened the evening. They were awful. Peeps threw the drummer's sticks back at him. Somebody hit the guitarist squarely on the nose with a wad of something (he responded with a 'Thank you!'). We were all glad when they left the stage. Lenny came out and crushed it. The Cult were good, too, but I chilled on them after that. Their bassist was amazing, though. I wonder whatever happened to him.

This is definitely how I feel. Love some of his tunes. Others... meh. If I had any album by him, it would probably be Are You Gonna Go My Way. Some of the best "retro-rock" I've ever heard on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    beg to differ...

The debut Let Love Rule is flawless (I'd place it halfway in my top 100 post-70's albums)

But that's the only one, even if the next three have some pretty good moments...

Lost track of his career afterwards.
    Hmmm. I thought Let Love Rule was pretty mediocre overall. The only song from this I really liked was Mr. Cab Driver. Maybe I'll give it another spin some time, but this was a big hit in the office when it came out and I heard it a lot and don't recall caring for it much.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    This is definitely how I feel. Love some of his tunes. Others... meh. If I had any album by him, it would probably be Are You Gonna Go My Way. Some of the best "retro-rock" I've ever heard on this one.

Hmmm. I thought Let Love Rule was pretty mediocre overall. The only song from this I really liked was Mr. Cab Driver. Maybe I'll give it another spin some time, but this was a big hit in the office when it came out and I heard it a lot and don't recall caring for it much.

Bill
    I dug this song, too. Was I Built This Garden For Us on the same disc? Dug that track, too.

He has updated his sound to the late '70s now:

Why is his second album Mama Said being ignored in this thread? That's one of his best.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I dug this song, too. Was I Built This Garden For Us on the same disc? Dug that track, too.
    That was on the debut, Let Love Rule. Very Beatles inspired. This song never did much for me. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post

Blech. (YMMV).

Why is his second album Mama Said being ignored in this thread? That's one of his best.
    Always On The Run is the only one from this I remember, and it's a good one. I'd need to give it another spin, this one I'm not sure I've heard as much in its entirety as Let Love Rule.

Bill

Finally remembered my password an would love to be more active on this forum - Nice attitude and a good vibe overall - but of course - progsnobs are everywhere.
    Btw - I think L K is awesome - his own style with awesome attitude, personal performanceses - great songwriter indead (is that a Word) iPhone translete sucks sometimes - but would love to talk about other bands and music in generell !

Suspended
    I've never heard anything from LK that made me want to own his stuff. It's not awful, and by no means unlistenable, I just find it rather ordinary.

I do love the vibe he gets. There's something about the perfect fuzztone and he knows how to do it. And his vocals have a fantastic vibe too. It scratches some kind of brain itch I must have acquired in my early years when my older sister listened to her music. I just wish he had more really catchy tunes. When he does- he does.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    That was on the debut, Let Love Rule. Very Beatles inspired. This song never did much for me. YMMV..

Always On The Run is the only one from this I remember, and it's a good one. I'd need to give it another spin, this one I'm not sure I've heard as much in its entirety as Let Love Rule.

Bill
    A1 Sittin' on Top of the World 3:16
    A2 Let Love Rule 5:42
    A3 Freedom Train 2:50
    A4 My Precious Love 5:15
    A5 I Built This Garden for Us 6:16
    B1 Fear 5:25
    B2 Does Anybody Out There Even Care 3:42
    B3 Mr. Cab Driver 3:49
    B4 Rosemary 5:27
    B5 Be 3:16

These (bolded) were all aired regularly at the time of release, but there isn't one weak track on that album (IMHO) This is a Gnosis 11 for me

As for Mama Said, it's on par with Are You and Circus and 5 >> all of them are a Gnosis 9 for me ... But I wouldn't be able a CD-r compilation out of those four albums, so I never did.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

this is more like 80's sound, given the sampled drumming.

wrong board
    Not a big issue at all, but since we have the 'other topics' etc., then why not use it for non-prog.
    Makes the different boards easier to navigate.
    I's of course the oldest discussion here, what is prog - But Lenny Kravitz?

Proceed...

Damn. That song's crap. What happened, Len?

this is more like 80's sound, given the sampled drumming.
    Late '80s, even. Lenny's channeled the '80s before, with far better results:

^^

Yuckkkk!!!.. the music, not the broad...

^^

Yuckkkk!!!.. the music, not the broad...
    That's from 5 (1998). Live a little, dude.