Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shulman, Shulman, Minnear

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    http://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/1...le-giant/57796

A 40 year old interview with a 28 year old Kerry from Keyboard magazine. Man, I'm gettin' old!
    Man, 7 weeks from nothing to a completed album of the complexity of Free Hand. Makes me feel like even more of a slacker!!

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Man, 7 weeks from nothing to a completed album of the complexity of Free Hand. Makes me feel like even more of a slacker!!
    I know. Talk about being "in the zone" creatively. But that sort of pace catches up with you, and you're only 28 once. It's no wonder when musicians crash and burn they tend to do so in spectacular fashion.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

http://www.makeweirdmusic.com/interview/kerry-minnear/

Has this 'interview' with Kerry been posted? Warm and insightful. Is Anthony a member here?
    Thanks for sharing this interview with Kerry Minnear. Very nice to read about what Kerry (and his family and other members of GG) are doing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I've often heard that GG made their albums in a relatively short period of time. According to the notes from the most recent reissue of "Free Hand" (the CD/DVD release on Chrysalis from 2012), they had a little more time to work on that album than the previous albums they recorded.

How long did Steve Wilson use to remix 'The Power and the Glory'?

If you take into account that their albums were generally 35 minutes long, there were three principle songwriters and that this was their full time job, then a 7 week turnaround time for an album is a little more reasonable, yet still impressive.

(And it also makes me think they should have given us even more material! )
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    How long did Steve Wilson use to remix 'The Power and the Glory'?
    Don't know; I've haven't seen any interviews with Wilson where he goes into how long it took to remix "The Power and The Glory" (or any of the remix projects he's done so far).

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    If you take into account that their albums were generally 35 minutes long, there were three principle songwriters and that this was their full time job, then a 7 week turnaround time for an album is a little more reasonable, yet still impressive.

(And it also makes me think they should have given us even more material! )
    And don't forget to take into account touring; Sid Smith's notes for the recent deluxe edition of "TPAG" mentions how GG came up with the concept, the material and producing the album immediately after coming home from touring for the "In A Glass House" LP.

From GG's FB page - "Ray, Kerry and Derek at London's Ivy restaurant December 7th 2016.
    Three Friends discussing 'Three Friends' and other Steven Wilson remixes for early 2017!??
    Great to be together and enjoying each other's company again!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    I've often heard that GG made their albums in a relatively short period of time. According to the notes from the most recent reissue of "Free Hand" (the CD/DVD release on Chrysalis from 2012), they had a little more time to work on that album than the previous albums they recorded.
    Interesting. I've recently come to the conclusion that, IMO, Freehand is the best SOUNDING recording GG ever produced. Not my favourite work of theirs (top 5, though), but maybe that extra time was used dialling-in the sounds in the control room?
    [I must add the Visconti albums still sound amazing, too]

^That pic is really nice. They seem genuinely happy at ease.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^That pic is really nice. They seem genuinely happy at ease.
    I'd say the picture was taken after the meal and the bottles emptied
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Doesn't matter how you arrive at the destination, does it?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Precisely.

It's like when I incidentally stumble upon folks from my university days (1991-2002) during weekend drinks o the town. We always get tremendously along up to a certain point - before the fistfight commences.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

From GG's FB page - "Ray, Kerry and Derek at London's Ivy restaurant December 7th 2016.
    Three Friends discussing 'Three Friends' and other Steven Wilson remixes for early 2017!??
    Great to be together and enjoying each other's company again!"

Great photo of Derek, Ray & Kerry; thanks for sharing it (and let's keep our fingers crossed that we see more Steven Wilson remixes from the GG catalog).

They speak a language we mere mortals could never understand.
    The Prog Corner

Really wondeful to see these chaps still getting on after all these years and having a great time. Wouldn't read anything into it though...

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    They speak a language we mere mortals could never understand.
    Great post!