Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wonky Pop (Cardiacs, XTC, Ween etc)

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I discovered Field Music from another thread, long after this one fell into the abyss. I've become a fan since; even started a thread about them. When this thread was reanimated, I thought they should be mentioned... and there they were, on page one. I guess I'm the proverbial horse that was led to water but didn't take a drink!

Those are two of my favorites by Field Music.

They are an incredibly talented couple of gents, and write some of the best "wonky" pop around these days.

Quote Originally Posted by eadric View Post
    Dominique Leone? Abstract Expression is fabulously wonky and poppy at the same time, in a Max Tundra sort of way.
    But then he's so handsome and charismatic, it's hard to quantify his appeal into just one or two genres. ps thanks!

^ Enormous fan of this handsome gentleman right here. Abstract Expression is one of THE great albums. Remarkable writing and execution. Like nothing else. I can't recommend it highly enough.

aaahhh, can't handle it! Thank you Kavus!!

I actually did come to this thread to post about bands before I saw my own name and went for the selfish glory grab. When I think of "wonky pop", definitely bands like XTC and Cardiacs are the first ones I think of, but this "style", if you can call it that, is always happening -- great thing about pop, it always changes, so wonky pop, in turn does too. I consider all of these "pop" bands first, that don't restrict their sound palette or forms to just those from the pop world.

Pattern Is Movement - sadly defunct Philly band that was kind of a math-soul band, if that makes sense. Great tunes, subtle classical-music touches, and fabulous melodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUzX67DFOI4

Oh No Ono - another defunct band, this time from Denmark, and I think one of the most progressive sounding ones -- almost like a cross of Cardiacs, 80s Yes and ...Abba?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHxLUNEVPec

Knower -- LA duo that takes hyper-speed electro-pop of Max Tundra, and adds EDM and great old pop melodies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Hu2Ti14Lc

Denny Denny Breakfast -- friend of mine from Oakland, plays pop music with metal, electronic music and rumba influences

http://music.dennydennybreakfast.com/track/horvor

Quote Originally Posted by dleone View Post
    Pattern Is Movement - sadly defunct Philly band that was kind of a math-soul band, if that makes sense. Great tunes, subtle classical-music touches, and fabulous melodies.
    Damn; I didn't know they had folded! Of course, they were a duo by the end. Their debut release, The (Im)possibility of Longing from 2004, was my fave album of that year and both the following Stowaway and All Together are equally excellent and equally quirky, brainy and generally cerebral. PIM were every bit as intricate and original as their compatriots The Dirty Projectors and Beirut, but fell sadly short to the latter two's hipness appeal. I actually hear a LOT of both Gentle Giant and AGW-era Brian Eno in PIM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I get the feeling I'm writing a shopping list
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    ^ Enormous fan of this handsome gentleman right here. Abstract Expression is one of THE great albums. Remarkable writing and execution. Like nothing else. I can't recommend it highly enough.
    Just started listening to this on the Bandcamp page, and holy cow!

This is terrific stuff! Sort of like Max Tundra meets Todd Rundgren, with a heavy dose of psychedelia. Love it! I will be buying this one for sure.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh man there's so much great stuff on here

So far

Time Of Orchids
    Infantephant
    Field Music
    Dominique Leone
    Of Montreal
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It doesn't get much wonkier than Wintergatan. Check out the home-made keyboard shoulder synth at 23.40.

Can't find "Tortured Craft" on youtube, but this is fine too:

"Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Those are two of my favorites by Field Music.

They are an incredibly talented couple of gents, and write some of the best "wonky" pop around these days.
    Love Field Music, as well as its spin-offs School of Language & The Week That Was. I read somewhere that those guys just about scrape by above the poverty line. They're as hardcore as it gets.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Been going nuts over this stuff since hearing them on Interesting Alternative.