Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Names you keep reading but never hear played.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Alex Chilton had a huge hit with the Box Tops
    Quite a few huge hits actually. "The Letter" was the biggest, but only one of many.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Quite a few huge hits actually. "The Letter" was the biggest, but only one of many.
    For the Chilton curious -
    Run, don't walk to your nearest music outlet and grab a hold of any and all Big Star records, especially #1 Record - then - go to netflix or wherever and watch the documentary Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me.

Well there you go. I had no idea he was anything other than a title of a replacements song. Never was a replacements fan.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I did not know he did "Sweet Cream Ladies, March Forward" with the Box Tops
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Run, don't walk to your nearest music outlet and grab a hold of any and all Big Star records, especially #1 Record - then - go to netflix or wherever and watch the documentary Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me.
    +1

Then get the Chris Bell album "I Am the Cosmos".

I'm pretty sure I've never heard...

Blur
    Flying Colors
    Spacemen 3

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I’ve heard their first 2 albums; if you like, say, Cheap Trick, these albums are kind of a “duh” purchase (as in: “duh! Why don’t you own them already?”)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post

Blur
    Flying Colors
    Spacemen 3
    I’ve heard Spiritualized, but not Spacemen 3. Is Flying Colors the Neal Morse project?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I laugh at the idea that, as complete supreme dictator of the music played where I work, my co-workers could have their own thread like this online somewhere. ("Who the F&#* ever heard of Dregs, Vertu, Jan Hammer OR Jerry Goodman?!")

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

I’ve heard Spiritualized, but not Spacemen 3. Is Flying Colors the Neal Morse project?
    I have a number of Spiritualized albums.

Yes. Flying Colors is the Portnoy/Morse/Morse project.

Tupac. I've never heard him.

I think another aspect of the phenomenon is certain bands being huge on one side of the Pond and almost unknown on the other side.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Pretty many for me. I've never knowingly heard Judas Priest.

But I've been hearing Rundgren regularly on the piped-in music in the cafeteria at work.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    +1

Then get the Chris Bell album "I Am the Cosmos".

Blur
    Flying Colors
    Spacemen 3
    Blur's biggest hit here was this thing called "Song 2" that has been used in car commercials and trailers for Starship Troopers when it was in theaters...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I laugh at the idea that, as complete supreme dictator of the music played where I work, my co-workers could have their own thread like this online somewhere. ("Who the F&#* ever heard of Dregs, Vertu, Jan Hammer OR Jerry Goodman?!")
    Which reminds me, I’ve never heard any Dregs.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    LOL! I've never even heard of any of those artists, let alone heard any of their music. That said, the name Jan Hammer does ring a bell, but I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    LOL! I've never even heard of any of those artists, let alone heard any of their music. That said, the name Jan Hammer does ring a bell, but I don't know why.
    And you call yourself a progfan?

And Jan Hammer made the music for Miami Vice, so I suppose you know his name from that show, I never saw.

Yea, that might be it...but I never watched Miami Vice...but I must have heard the theme tune...I was a Hill Street Blues fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Blur's biggest hit here was this thing called "Song 2" that has been used in car commercials and trailers for Starship Troopers when it was in theaters...
    Perhaps better known as the "Whoo Hoo!" song; a staple at sporting events for many years too.

It does surprise me that people of a certain age on this site have not even explored some of these really quite big names over the years. If I read about a band I missed back in the day, I will always go and listen to their recommended albums, just to check them out. I don't think there's many that I have never heard anything by.

I may be missing PeterG's point, but Todd, Television, Soft Machine, The Replacements, UK, Mars Volta... These are amongst some of my favourites over the years, and yes they will have limited radio appeal (other than Todd's hits), but they have a broad appeal amongst rock music fans, so I would expect the average interested music fan would have sought them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I may be missing PeterG's point,
    Yea, you are a little bit. I'm not talking about actively seeking out new or even old music or conversely choosing not to do so. My point is about the unavoidable absorption of music in your various everyday environments and situations: i.e. listening to the radio, watching TV, music heard at home, work, school, car, public transport, gym etc, and specifically when music is being played at you and not for or by you.

And it is in those situations that I have never heard the 4 artists I mentioned, although I'm fully aware of who they are and the type of music they play, due to having read about them and having heard their names mentioned on forums and in mags, books etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    All jazz-rock fusion, not exactly your thing, Peter. Hammer and Goodman were original members of The Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I could fill encyclopedia volumes (remember those?) with band/artist names I've read but never heard... or maybe I heard, but didn't know who I was hearing. And people who have heard those bands and artists (and knew who they were hearing) might look at my CD collection and not know who 80% of those bands/artists are. It's all fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Which reminds me, I’ve never heard any Dregs.
    Problem solved.

Never heard:

Sex Pistols
    Kanye
    Kanye's gf (wife?) - shes a singer right?
    Robyn Hitchcock
    Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Kim Kardashian; famous for being famous... no talent required.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Kim Kardashian; famous for being famous... no talent required.
    Oh yeah, couldn't remember her name.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Never heard:

Sex Pistols
    Kanye
    Robyn Hitchcock
    Replacements
    You haven't missed anything.