Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harmonica in prog?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    How about Water?
    Heh heh. See your own post #29.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Heh heh. See your own post #29.
    And I went to the whole thread, to see if it was mentioned. Somehow I missed those two posts.

Geils - Monkey Island
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I think you could argue that Chris Brubeck does prog bluegrass, with Peter Madcat Ruth on harp. Years ago I knew him, long long ago:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Again, not prog.

More of a fusion, M-BASS thing, with Gregoire Maret on mouth harp.

Andy Milne's band "Dapp Theory" uses harmonica to great effect. Milne is a phenomenal pianist that plays with Steve Coleman.

Check out the grooves on this mo fo.

https://youtu.be/qGwceO5U_mU
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

More in the relaxed jazz-vein is The Greg Foat Group with the title-track from their previous album "Girl And Robot With Flowers" with nice harmonica-playing from Philip Achille:

The band just released their new album "The Dancers At The Edge Of Time": https://thegregfoatgroup.bandcamp.com/

Not prog, but gobs and gobs of mellotron as well as gorgeous harmonica

And then there's a Strawbs song I just posted elsewhere. Which is infinitely less proggy than the aforementioned non prog song, but that's ok. Genres are just a social construct, man

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    BTW if anyone says John Popper I will vomit right through the interweb onto you.
    He's mainly a shredder. doesn't impress me that much.

I don't know if any of these six guys fit into progressive rock, but maybe harmonica-minded folks might like this tribute to Toots Thielemans: http://www.musicraiser.com/projects/4461

Last edited by interbellum; 11-18-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Ray Thomas played harmonica on a bunch of Moody Blues tracks. While not exactly prog, Jack Bruce could play pretty well too.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Supertramp, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd....I can think of directly.

I brought up my long-time friend, Howard Levy (Bela Fleck & the Flecktones) earlier in this thread, but what I failed to mention is that he plays jazz (and everything else) on a regular blues harp and never touches a chromatic harmonica. He figured out a way to get the chromatic scale out of a diatonic harmonica decades ago; I think that makes him pretty progressive.

Here's a track from his first solo album, which came out in the '80s. He double tracked himself on piano and harmonica, playing the challenging bebop tune (that was the opening track on Jaco Pastorius' debut), "Donna Lee."

A much more recent video of Howard playing "Amazing Grace." Try to stick it out until the end, where he's playing the melody and chordal accompaniment on one blues harp.

If you want to get ambitious, you can check out Ralph Vaughn Williams "Romance in D flat for harmonica."

http://VAUGHAN WILLIAMS: Romance in ... for harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    You need Slivovitz!

There's again some Harmonica on "All You Ca Eat", the new album from Slivovitz.

Opening track of Subject Esq.'s only album from 1973... The German band later became Sahara... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjGpt0c0cHU

Watching Roger Daltry's harmonica playing at the end of The Who's Baba O'Reilly from the Outside Lands gig now reminded me of this thread.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Doesn't one of the new Steven Wilson songs, from the soon to be released "To the Bone", feature harmonica?

Peter Hammill:

"Viking" and "Solitude" (played by Ray Jackson of Lindisfarne) from the album Foolsmate ('71)

"Palinurus (Castaway)" (played by *gasp* Hammill) from the album The Future Now ('78)

Archive uses the harmonica effectively in Again:

B.t.w. this comes from one of my favorite DVD's.

Indeed! Here is my cover of it (great solo)
    Visit my progrock dedicated-site:
    https://doyouevenriff.net/
    (progrock theory, riffs, reviews, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I brought up my long-time friend, Howard Levy (Bela Fleck & the Flecktones) earlier in this thread, but what I failed to mention is that he plays jazz (and everything else) on a regular blues harp and never touches a chromatic harmonica. He figured out a way to get the chromatic scale out of a diatonic harmonica decades ago; I think that makes him pretty progressive.

Here's a track from his first solo album, which came out in the '80s. He double tracked himself on piano and harmonica, playing the challenging bebop tune (that was the opening track on Jaco Pastorius' debut), "Donna Lee."

A much more recent video of Howard playing "Amazing Grace." Try to stick it out until the end, where he's playing the melody and chordal accompaniment on one blues harp.
    I saw him with Bela Fleck Saturday, opening for Chick Corea Elektric Band. While not a huge fan of fusion banjo, I loved Howard's piano and harmonica playing, and of course,
    the always amazing Victor Wooten. I wanted real drums as well. Chick and band were on fire. At Mountain Winery in Saratoga, California.

At about 5:18 into the video