Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harmonica in prog?

BTW if anyone says John Popper I will vomit right through the interweb onto you.

The Dutch band Water had a dedicated (chromatic) harmonica player:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I mentioned Mark Feltham's contribution on harmonica to Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock cd's.Check out Feltham's overdriven harmonica on this tune,The Rainbow, from Spirit of Eden.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Seen them once in Delft, as support-act for Kayak.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I always heard bagpipes.
    "Mr piper, do you do requests?"

"Aye, laddie, what would you like me to play?"

"Please play over the hills and far away."

Gershwin + harmonica = prog

Carl Hupp had harmonica on a blues/fusion cut on his cd.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I always heard bagpipes.

I know - its not prog, but you owe it to yourself to hear Pat O'Brian go ballistic

Pat is btw also a great guitarist !

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Good call. Wish there was something from Water on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

Levy's work with Jerry Goodman, Steve Smith and Oteil Burbridge on "The Stranger's Hand" was an eye-opener for me:

Tako's keyboardist Đorde Ilijin plays some harmonica on the band's both albums.

Gentle Giant - Weekend Cowboy from Under Construction
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Good call, how did I forget that?

not prog but so what - for my money the best harmonica player ever

Oh, and thanks for the Beefheart video above, that was great.

Both of which are pretty effin' great, btw. Such a lot of wonderful stuff from Yugoslavia and Czechoslowakia in the 70s and early 80s. Youngsters who caught the "prog micro-renaissance" during the early-to-mid-90s seemed far more prone to discover Eastern bloc progressive than most of today's alleged connoisseurs of the "genre".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    BTW if anyone says John Popper I will vomit right through the interweb onto you.
    John Popper

hide.gif

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Levy's work with Jerry Goodman, Steve Smith and Oteil Burbridge on "The Stranger's Hand" was an eye-opener for me:
    Yeah, it's a really good album! And as for Howard; I've been in a latin jazz-rock band called Chevere de Chicago with him for over 30 years and to this day, he never ceases to amaze me!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Both of which are pretty effin' great, btw. Such a lot of wonderful stuff from Yugoslavia and Czechoslowakia in the 70s and early 80s. Youngsters who caught the "prog micro-renaissance" during the early-to-mid-90s seemed far more prone to discover Eastern bloc progressive than most of today's alleged connoisseurs of the "genre".
    Can't comment on what others may or may not know about 70s/80s Eastern Bloc progressive rock, but I attribute my interest in them almost solely to a couple of good articles in the Finnish prog magazine Colossus around 1998 and the stuff on the GEPR - in Tako's case, to a single review by a certain Mike Ohman, a review that even mentions the group's use of harmonica. Also a lot of Czechoslowakian and Polish material was re-released on CD around the turn of the millenium, some for the first time and some, like Solaris's 1990 or Progres 2's Dialog s vesmírem, first time unabridged or in their original studio versions. So they were (relatively) available and got exposure then. That may no longer have applied about five years ago, though now there seems to be a new spate of re-releases. Which may make a difference when thinking about what part of progressive rock history people are into.

Tako, of course, was re-issued on CD earlier by Rock Symphony, but the albums still seemed hard to find, at least to me. In fact, I bought both second-hand after years of search.

Tako, of course, was re-issued on CD earlier by Rock Symphony, but the albums still seemed hard to find, at least to me. In fact, I bought both second-hand after years of search.
    There was the Kalemegdan mailorder vendor service for Yugo-prog, but I believe they've been out of business since ultimo a decade ago. I still find it rather amazing how some titles are being reissued even now today, like the Izvir and Opus 1 albums. These are some pretty damn obscure albums/artists, but boy are they worth it!

As for the Czech releases, Bonton/Panton did most of thejob reissuing all the (relatively) bigger names during the period 1995-2005; M. Efekt, Flamengo, Framus 5, Progres 2, Jazz Q Praha, Bohemia and so on.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

At the risk of derailing the thread even more, does anyone have an opinion on Zabranjeno prisluškivanje, Đorde Ilijin's 1983 solo album? I've heard it compared favourably to Tako's albums, but I've never heard the actual music.

Almost fifty posts in and no mention of the most obvious example?

Hint: Often labeled as "krautrock," the band actually hailed from Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Almost fifty posts in and no mention of the most obvious example?

Hint: Often labeled as "krautrock," the band actually hailed from Switzerland.
    AAARRH! That surely WOULD be if not "the" then at least "a" obvious example - Krokodil's immaculate An Invisible World Revealed. Man, that's such a fucking monster record! It cuts, grooves, breaks, floats, beats and hits in equal proportions; the singular masterpiece neither Floyd, Group 1850, Grateful Dead or Agitation Free (bless 'em all!) never really got around to. I actually managed to turn a lot of folks (even a few non-retro head types) onto the concept of "acid prog" by way of this; its sheer atmosphere of blissful youth and love-of-life anthems are almost unprecedented. Absolutely love it!

Re: Dorde Ilijin's album; it's good, but not quite up to the standard of the second Tako. Sound is marginally better, though. Worth it if you're into Tako, that's for sure...

Not exactly prog, but a harmonica version of Villa Nova Junction (Hendrix)