Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Boy

City Boy

They came out Birmingham UK in 1975 - made 6 great albums for Vertigo. At least 3 of them have some great prog moments - in particular City Boy (debut album), Dinner At The Ritz and The Day The Earth Caught Fire. Great live band too.

I still need to check them out. Have heard good things...

We had a discussion on them recently, you can read it here-

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...light=city+boy

Dinner At The Ritz.

Awesome.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Dinner At The Ritz.

Awesome.
    Totally - 'Mama's Boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPiJM33EnlY

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    We had a discussion on them recently, you can read it here-

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...light=city+boy
    That's why he runs this joint & I don't (oh yeah, he's like 30 years or so younger than me so he's quicker).

I've loved this band for a long time.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Jon Neudorf
    The song 'Dinner at the Ritz' is one of my favourites from the band. Stunning melody on that one.

Regards,
    Jon

The Hap-Ki-Do Kid was a top hit on FM here is the US for a few months. My faves are The Violin, Good Bye Blue Monday, and New York Times. Good tunes that stand the test of time.

Reminds me a little bit of A.C.T. at times.

My favorite lines in The Hap-Ki-Do Kid:

"They say your belt gets blacker by the hour,
    I know you like your victims sweet-and-sour"

That song still brings a smile to my face each listen. I always loved Dangerous Ground from Book Early.

Let's not forget Young Men Gone West.

And yes A.C.T reminds me a lot of them.

I enjoy most of City Boy's output, but my favourite is definitely 'The Day The Earth Caught Fire'. Not quite sure why, probably because it always seemed more consistent.

One of my favourite bands.

Always loved this one liner:

"Little Linda's got a way with men,
    And so far she's got away with about nine or ten."

I've always been partial to the beautiful love song, "The Man Who Ate His Car".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

And no one has mentioned how beautiful Haymaking Time is???? LOVE this band from the first album.

I remember really digging "5-7-0-5" back in the day.

That was their only US hit that I can remember, but it was a good 'un.

Been meaning to check them out in more depth. I too have heard good things.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post

Been meaning to check them out in more depth. I too have heard good things.
    You should hear the original version of 5705, 'Turn on to Jesus', which is on youtube and was rejected due to its lyrics. There was a seventh album It's Personal which was only released in Sweden I think and after a couple of people had left.

ALso worth mentioning that City Boy was the launching point for producer Mutt Lange's career. You can hear the production getting more ambitious till it goes over the top on "Day the Earth Caught Fire."

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    The song 'Dinner at the Ritz' is one of my favourites from the band. Stunning melody on that one.
    Agreed. Love the singalong chorus on the outro. Listen for Peter Hammill giving spoken interjections there. “Rumpity, pumpity” indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The Hap-Ki-Do Kid was a top hit on FM here is the US for a few months. My faves are The Violin, Good Bye Blue Monday, and New York Times. Good tunes that stand the test of time.
    Ah, “The Violin,” such a tear-jerker. Very 10cc, that one, compare to “Somewhere in Hollywood.”

“New York Times” is an interesting one, as it was a Broughton/Mason composition sung by Roy Ward, and apparently had been hanging around for a while. They lost something when Steve left, which is why I find Heads Are Rolling somewhat unsatisfying, though even there it’s bookended by two excellent tracks: “Mr. Shoes” and “Life on the Balcony.”

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Let's not forget Young Men Gone West.
    I revisited this recently and I don’t think it holds up as well as the first two or the next two. I guess they were tapped out of A-material and the addition of Roy Ward on drums and vocals lit a spark under them. Still, “Bordello Night” is catchy, “Millionaire” is a strong, anthemic closer and “Dear Jean” is a classic!

Quote Originally Posted by jgprogbear View Post
    And no one has mentioned how beautiful Haymaking Time is???? LOVE this band from the first album.
    They started out as a folk band. This is an interesting peep in on What Could Have Been.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post

“What a Night” also hit the charts in the UK. As did “The Day the Earth Caught Fire,” albeit barely.

I only recently upgraded my copy of Book Early. The original one I bought was the original release, it was later reissued to include “What a Night” (which was not on my first copy).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

yes i loved them back in the days,i own all 7 albums ,and i think you can find something in all their albums,but my fav albums are.

city boy
    dinner at the ritz
    book early
    the day the earth caught fire

i still play the city boy records from time to time,and i think they held up very well

Have them all. The Day The Earth Caught Fire is my favorite. They always reminded me of 10CC vocally as someone else mentioned. Agree also with act that there is something on all of the albums. Some of my favs besides the wholeTDTECF;
    Dear Jean
    Narcissus
    Cigarettes
    5000 years
    Hap-Ki-Do Kid
    Heads Are Rolling
    Life On The Balcony
    Do You Need A Little Loving
    One After Two

I did buy one or two of their albums on vinyl and this thread prompted me to revisit their material. Does nothing for me now. It's just pop music. My tastes lie elsewhere.

Love me the City Boy. I remember hearing them live on WNEW-FM in NYC. After the show, the DJ kept playing their live take of Dear Jean as the guitarist incorporated bits of Purple Haze, Day Tripper & others. Incredibly tight live, by the way!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!