Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City Boy

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Love me the City Boy. I remember hearing them live on WNEW-FM in NYC. After the show, the DJ kept playing their live take of Dear Jean as the guitarist incorporated bits of Purple Haze, Day Tripper & others. Incredibly tight live, by the way!
    Wow, that would be something to hear! I would love to have seen them live, or at least had a live album.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I'm on record as a huge fan. Probably one of the most unfairly underrated bands in rock history. Fantastic songwriting, chops and not least production. A huge inspiration for both my bands. I tend to like other things Mike Slamer has been involved with too, even if he took a more traditional AOR route after City Boy.

J.

Somewhere on the internet, 3RDegree got compared to them. I inspected their Anthology and then got every freakin' album. All great!

Lol Mason has died of a heart attack at his home in Birmingham, at the age of sixty nine.

^ Sad news.

Sad news indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw this - dreadful news.

Mike Slamer is a hell of a guitarist

Jon Neudorf
    Very sad news. RIP.

So sad. Much love.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Lol Mason has died of a heart attack at his home in Birmingham, at the age of sixty nine.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Just found that Max Thomas is crowdfunding to get enough to make an 8th album - although only Roy Ward of the other members has shown any interest in joining in and only £200 has been raised in 8 months out of a target of £10000. The page is https://www.gofundme.com/f/6ndeckg

There are albums that leave an indelible mark on us. For me one of those is Young Men Gone West by City Boy. I played it to death at the time. I thought there wasn't a weak track on it and several (Bordello Night, She's Got Style, Millionaire, the title track) that were simply excellent. Listening to it again this morning I can see why it made such a big impression on me - inventive, melodic, superior prog-pop. 10cc would have thought they'd done a good job if it had come out of Strawberry Studios.