Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter's Cardiacs' Anomalies

I was wondering why the other thread suddenly seemed shorter

I see you have a bit up there on the rarely performed songs, but what Cardiacs tunes have never (or at least never that we know of) been attempted in concert?

I haven't been to anywhere near as many gigs as you have, but going from live recordings and the like, i don't think they did: Victory Egg, Faster Than Snakes, Flap Off You Beak, Mares Nest, Stench Of Honey (fairly certain Kavus said they never did this, thus explaining the cover by Knifeworld), Goodbye Grace (not sure about this one, i really hope it has been played actually ) and quite a few songs from Guns.

I believe Kavus said Goodbye Grace was unplayable live- too many chords.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 05-13-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Too many chords? Coming from Tim (or indeed Kavus) that's quite something

Just remembered an obvious one i forgot: Eat It Up Worms Hero - famously thrashed out live by Oceansize at a Cardiacs gig, but never performed by Tim&co. I always wanted to hear that brief screechy bit live. Sod the chords.

It was Tim that warned me off Goodbye Grace, when I once suggested it, saying 'It can't be done'. I never attempted to work it out. Of course we probably could have done it, realistically, but it may have taken a while to get it giggable.
    Another favourite of mine that never made it live, although before every tour I pushed for its inclusion, was Flap Off You Beak.
    I'm convinced it could have become a beloved jewel in the set.

Flap off you beak is one of my absolute favorite Cardiacs tunes. It's one of Tim's little masterpieces.

Regarding Goodbye Grace live I've checked my vast collection of bootlegs, mostly from gigs I was at, and it isn't on a single one.

Also, I must revise what I wrote earlier about Stoneage Dinosaurs, that seems to have been a regular, but I can't remember it that much, probably as it was always near the end of the gig, according to the set lists on these bootlegs. Same for Nurses, also played near the end, perhaps that is why I have forgotten them. I need to amend that particular anomaly.

Here is the list of my Cardiacs bootlegs, with last track of the evening, and support bands if known:

Roehampton Vale - 28 Feb 82: LT - Nurses Whispering Verses

Stonehenge 84: LT - Is This The Life

Surbiton 85: LT - Nurses Whispering Verses

Fetcham Common, Surrey - 30 May 86: LT - Is This The Life

Town & Country - 27 Nov 88: LT - The Whole World Window

Secret Gig, The Marquee - 21 Nov 91: LT - Is This The Life

20th Reading Festival 1992 - Last Track: ?

U.L.U - 27 Nov 92: LT - Is This The Life

The Venue, New Cross - 2 May 93: LT - Is This The Life (this was actually a mini-festival: Eskimos & Egypt; Poisoned Electrick Head; Homage Freaks; Experiment - I don't remember seeing Experiment. PEH were brilliant,as always)

The Venue - 90s, HB&EB tour: Is This The Life

Astoria Two - "The Brilliant Organ Christmas Party" 10 Dec 94: LT - Home of F. S. (Pop.A.Cat.A.Petal, Frog)

Tim Smith - The Monarch, Camden - 2000: LT - Ain't He Messy Though

Tim Smith - The Garage, Highbury - 2000: LT - Foundling

At those 2 solo gigs Tim played a new and/or unreleased Sea Nymphs type song called Dream Dress and another new Sea Nymphs one but I don't have a name for the other one. Anyone know what it's called?
    Last edited by PeterG; 05-14-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Regarding Goodbye Grace live I've chekced my vast collection of bootlegs, mostly from gigs I was at, and it isn't on a single one.

Also, I musat revise what I wrote earlier about Stoneage Dinosaurs, that seems to have been a regular, but I can't remember it that much, probably as it was always near the end of the gig, according to the set lists on these boots.
    Stoneage is also on the Cardiacs Radio Sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Stoneage is also on the Cardiacs Radio Sessions.
    Which one?

Other related bootlegs:

Monsoon Bassoon at The Vortex - LT: Commando

William D. Drake - Amersham Arms -2002 - LT: Donkey Song

Plus three Sea Nymphs gigs on VHS.

I believe Kavus said Goodbye Grace was unplayable live- too many chords.
    Which reminds me of one of my fav things Tim said on stage, "that's enough of these big bangs and chords"

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    I was wondering why the other thread suddenly seemed shorter

I see you have a bit up there on the rarely performed songs, but what Cardiacs tunes have never (or at least never that we know of) been attempted in concert?

I haven't been to anywhere near as many gigs as you have, but going from live recordings and the like, i don't think they did: Victory Egg, Faster Than Snakes, Flap Off You Beak, Mares Nest, Stench Of Honey (fairly certain Kavus said they never did this, thus explaining the cover by Knifeworld), Goodbye Grace (not sure about this one, i really hope it has been played actually ) and quite a few songs from Guns.
    Well, they used to play I'm Eating in Bed in the 80s, but not since. And now I think of it, along with PPATG, Wooden Fish Wheels I have never heard live and it isn't on any of my bootlegs, same applies for A Time For Rejoicing. Have a look at Anomaly No.1 about the early stuff. Also I'm sure there are a few from STG and Guns that have never had a live airing.
    Last edited by PeterG; 05-14-2015 at 03:50 PM.

We did Eating In Bed at most of the gigs I played.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 05-14-2015 at 02:03 PM.

This has got me thinking. We did a fairly ridiculous amount of tunes during the time I was in the band. I'll count them but at a guess it's got to be in the region of sixty.
    On the last tour we had four different sets which we alternated from night to night.

Which one?
    Disc 2. I'm thinking 2007 or 08, but I'd have to check to be sure.

It wasn't 2008. It feels like it was a couple of years earlier.
    I remember I fucked the solo up monumentally.

It was 2005. The other songs played were Hope Day, English Sea and Will Bleed Amen (with Sharron). And yes you did Kavus, but it inspred one of my favourite bits from that diary:
    October 15th 2005

Kavus Torabi
    Entry 1. Hi. Its late. Just got back from the BBC in Manchester. We all had to cram in this bloody I-don’t-know-what of a vehicle because the girls wouldn’t take us in theirs unless they all came with us and there just wasn’t room. Sharron had to come with us because she was singing on one of the tunes we were doing and kept on and on and on about her belonging to three different bands ALL THE WAY THERE. No one else said a word apart from Babba who whined and whimpered to himself all the way without ever stopping once it was horrible. When we got there it was obvious that Tim was shit scared because he bit through his lip and it was all bloody and THEN he went and spoilt it all by telling everyone he was scared ON AIR! He was horrible to me when we were setting up our gear in this tiny studio. He kept on pulling my wires out every time I plugged them in and I caught him tipping some water into the back of my Marshall amp. Something fucking beautiful happened though! We were playing that song “Stoneage Dinosaurs” and Tim who’d been fumbling around in his pockets for ages, brought out a little model he’d made out of matchsticks! It was of ME! I was playing the guitar solo bit and the model looked so much like me it distracted me at first but it was so wonderful that I showed my appreciation by playing the highest note my expensive guitar can reach and we all rejoiced! It might have sounded odd but it captured the moment I think! Then we all sang in unison. It was a truly magical fantastic moment!
    Wooden Fish is on Garage Concerts. Eating in bed was played in 04 and 05, as was Plane Against The Grain.
    Last edited by loosefish; 05-14-2015 at 02:55 PM.

Disc 2. I'm thinking 2007 or 08, but I'd have to check to be sure.
    Is this Radio Sessions a double bootleg then? And any idea where I can get hold of a copy?

I give up, my memory is failing me or my brain has no more room for more Cardiacs facts and songs......

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    ooh look another Cardiacs thread.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Is this Radio Sessions a double bootleg then? And any idea where I can get hold of a copy?

Stoneage is in video 2 and it's from 2005 (great memory, Kavus!)

great memory, Kavus!

Inspired by something said on the album by album thread, I'm minded here on this non-specific yet Everything Cardiacs Thread to list the order in which I acquired C albums and when; and thus opening that up for others to comment on as well.

1989 - A cassette from a mate containing OLAITS and some of The Seaside
    1990 - Ships & Irons, new on vinyl on release
    1991 - HB & EB, new on vinyl & CD on release
    1992 - The Sea Nymphs, limited edition cassette bought at a Sea Nymphs gig

From 1989 up to the release of STG in 1995, I scoured the secondhand and ordinary record shops of London and southeast England and found vinyl versions of The Seaside, OLAITS, ALMAAHATWWW, Live, Night Tracks (Janice Long) as well as all the 12" EPs and 7" singles, and many bootleg cassettes & videos, and perhaps most importantly 2nd gen cassette copies of Toy World & Obvious Identity. Then basically from SFS&I in 1990 onwards everything was bought on release including the Mares Nest on VHS before I got it on CD.
    Last edited by PeterG; 06-15-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Just responding with Octopus to the bands named after albums or songs thread reminded me of a Cardiacs connexion in that Octopus (the 90s UK indie band) were discovered by Dave Francolini, the one time drummer of Levitation and Dark Star, both of which had Bic Hayes (the former Cardiacs guitarist) as their singer/guitarist. And it was the combo of members from Cardiacs + Levitation that was Panixsphere.

I'm minded to do a huge family tree one day of all these bands:

Kicking off with a format something like this:

RING - 1980s - English psych rock, experimental, free festival sound, circus face paint, very Cardiacsy in sound.
    Members: Ian "Zag" Faichne and Robert White (main 2) and also Bronwen Greaves, Mick Oyungulos, Michael Tubb, Christian "Bic" Hayes, Adrian, Stompy, Jonny Karma.......came to an end about 90-ish when White and Hayes joined Levitation.

Simultaneously active....

ZAG AND THE COLOURED BEADS - shared 3 members with RING - namely Faichne, White and Tubb.

AD NAUSEUM - 89-91 Members: Bob Leith and Jon Poole, also Nic Fryer and Giles Rees on some tracks on Ad Nauseum . Timmy saw them in 90 and kidnapped them and put them in a Cardiacs training camp

LEVITATION - 1990 - 94 - psych rock London band. Members: Terry Bickers (from The House of Love), Dave Francolini (from The House of Love), Bic Hayes (from Ring), Laurence O'Keefe (from The Jazz Butcher) and Robert White (from Ring).

PANIXSPHERE - a live thrash band, i.e. only live, no recorded output. members from Cardiacs, Levitation, Dark Star, Dragons and The Wildhearts. Members 82-84: Bic, Flat Hat and Littly Hicky. Members 92-93; Tim Smith and Jon Poole (Cardiacs) and Bic and Dave (Levitation) Bell Stinks, Bell Clinks and Angleworm Angel on Sing to God were all originally from the Panixsphere set.

SIDI BOU SAID - 93 to 97. Members: Clair Lemmon, Gayl Harrison and Melanie Woods. And as we all know Melanie played in bands all over the "family" - Cardiacs, Knifeworld, NSRO. Also Tim and Jon helped SBS on some of their records.

THE MONSOON BASSOON - 95-01 Members: Kavus and Dan Chudley (the two main men, also for Hatchjaw & Bassett), Sarah Measures, Laurie Osborne, Jamie Frazer Keddie

DARK STAR - formed in 96 by 3 former Levs - Hayes, Francolini and O'Keefe. Split in 2001.

That'll do for now.

Wow! I just read somewhere that there was a tape made of the 80s Panixsphere....Anyone know anything about that?

This is a doc I compiled, it is in alphabetical order and includes all tracks from the Cardiac Arrest demo in 78 all the way up to 91, the last release included is Songs For Ships And Irons. BE WARNED - my list includes rarities and outtakes available on bootlegs but never officially released, also some tracks were once called one thing but are now called something else, so there are a few with alternate names:

Part I- up to 1991

A Balloon For Berties Party
    A Bus For A Bus On The Bus
    A Cake For Berties Party
    A Game For Berties Party
    A Little Man And A House
    A Time For Rejoicing
    A Treat From Mr Smith
    A Wooden Fish On Wheels
    All His Geese Are Swans
    All Spectacular
    All The String
    Ants
    Arnald
    As Cold As Can Be In An English Sea
    Aukamacic
    Baby Heart Dirt
    Big Noise In A Toy World
    Big Ship
    Bite 3/a (alt. Vic Bite 3a.)
    Bits & Bobs (rarity – alt. Piffol Two Times or Piffol Six Times)
    Bitter Pill (rarity)
    Blind In Safety And Leafy In Love
    Buds And Spawn
    Burn Your House Brown
    Cameras
    Camouflage
    Dead Mouse
    Dergo
    Dinner Time
    Dinnertime Is At Home (Not Here)
    Dive
    Everything Is Easy
    Fast Robert
    Food On The Wall
    Gina Lollabridgida
    Gloomy News
    Goosegash
    Hellow Mr Minnow (rarity – alt. The Music Goes Round And Round)
    Hello Mr Sparrow
    Hope Day
    Hopeless
    Horsehead (Horse Head)
    Hymn (rarity)
    I Bit The Vicar
    Ice A Spot And A Dot On The Dog
    Icky Qualms
    I Hold My Love In My Arms
    I'm Eating In Bed
    In A City Lining
    In A Waiting Room
    Interlude
    Is This The Life?
    It's Lovely Day
    Jibber And Twitch
    Leaf Scrapings
    Let Alone My Plastic Doll
    Little Creations
    Loosefish Scapegrace
    Mare’s Nest
    Minnow Bandage (rarity)
    Nurses Whispering Verses
    Over (outtake)
    Over and Over and Over and Over
    Perfect (Perfic)
    Picture of misery (rarity
    Piffol Five Times (rarity)
    Piffol Four Times
    Piffol One Time
    Piffol Three Times
    Pilf
    Pip As Uncle Dick But Peter Spoilt It
    Plane Plane Against The Grain
    R.E.S.
    Rock Around The Clock
    Scratching Crawling Scrawling
    Stoneage Dinosaurs
    Summer Is A Coming In
    Susannahs Still Alive
    T.V.T.V
    Tarred And Feathered
    That's All
    The Breakfast Line
    The Collar
    The Duck And Roger The Horse
    The Everso Closely Guarded Line
    The Icing On The World
    The Leader Of The Starry Skys
    The New General (rarity)
    The Obvious Identity
    The Safety Bowl
    The Stench Of Honey
    The Whole World Window
    There's Too Many Irons In The Fire
    To Go Off And Things
    To My Piano From Mr Drake
    Too Many Colours
    Trademark (alt. Trade Mark)
    Two Bites Of Cherry
    Victory Egg (alt. Victory)
    Visiting Hours
    When I See That Certain Look in Your Eye (rarity)
    Your Removal Of Me