Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much has PE attributed in making your music purchases??

D.

I came to sites, not just this one but others as well, looking for inspiration. So C initially.

Although I enjoy the threads I must admit I went back to finding my own. So D now.

Somewhere between B and C.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

C. A Little

I have discovered much music I didn't know, some of it I like, som of it I even bought.

E for me.

At this point, I'd say that half of my collection has come directly or indirectly from the educated recommendations from people on this site.

My ears thank you all. My wallet, not so much.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

For me, "C". As much as I love music & prog, I've really gotten much more finicky in my old age (was more eclectic in my younger days of discovering music). I tend to like just a select bunch of bands, and collect everything from them.

Though, I certainly have found some bands I love exclusively from PE. And I always check out the samples of bands people put in threads, and read the reviews or buzz on various artists. I probably know a lot more about tons of bands from PE, even if I don't become personal fans of them.

I'd say B, bordering on E.

I think my biggest source of "recommendations" comes from Greg, Ken and Steve's weekly or periodic email updates, which I read religiously, and frequently sample music they list. I definitely get a lot of recommendations from PE as well, though. PE is great for reminding me of bands that I may have only sampled briefly or took a pass on. Comments from PE members often make me revisit bands like this, and occasionally I find something that didn't "sit right" the first time.

I recently got the Il Berlione albums because of this. To me, these albums are a bit of a mixed bag, but I found enough of interest to buy them after re-sampling, and overall I'm glad I did. PE strikes again!

Bill

A-

Quite a few cd's found/find their way to my mailbox because of PE recommendations/clips.Not all are keepers, but many are.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

A lot. It's a great thing.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

E.

PE is my main source of information when it comes to new bands and releases. I always read about it here first. I probably would have discovered bands like yugen, aranis and ghost rhythms without pe but a lot later.

Is there a difference between "Hell Yes" and "F Yes?"

I don't have a lot of money to spend on albums these days, but out of what I do buy, PE certainly has some influence. I'd have never discovered Snarky Puppy if it wasn't for PE... and they're the best and most interesting new band I've heard in quite a while! Sometimes I'll discover something that I would get if I had more money (A.C.T. is an example of that), but with my limited budget, I have to be more choosey than I used to be.

Somewhere between C and D.

I better go with E. It's not just the prog recommendations that have cost me, but the jazz and classical. In fact I'd say the bulk of my purchases in the last decade for those two genres were because of threads here.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

B & C The nice thing about music today (yes, I always buy my music to support the artists) is that you can find just about anything if you look hard enough. It is a band I have read about and get interested, I'm off to youtube or search here to read more. So, I'll check out live clips or album tracks, but if I like it, I buy it.

Since I found out about both the Eppy Gibbon Podcast show and Prog magazine through PE, my bank advises E.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    B & C The nice thing about music today (yes, I always buy my music to support the artists) is that you can find just about anything if you look hard enough. It is a band I have read about and get interested, I'm off to youtube or search here to read more. So, I'll check out live clips or album tracks, but if I like it, I buy it.
    Since I created the thread about buskers, it has occurred to me that most musicians today are buskers. Some stand on street corners, others play in recording studios, but all of them are creating music that people can, if they choose, listen to as much as they like without paying a cent. The reasons why people DO pay are many and varied, but it often simply comes down to one thing: they want the music to keep coming.

I think I've bought more crap as a result of being here than good stuff. I buy a lot of bad music to find the good stuff. Some of y'alls taste in music, quite frankly, Suck. and yet there I go... buying stuff that I have no business owning. I guess I chalk that up to wanting to contribute to the prog community in a way that matters. I probably like/relisten to about 30 percent of what I buy.

I know its my own fault but some of you really should be in sales. Your fanboyism impresses me and I bite, then I have to spit it out.

OK its not all that bad, I just need to take more opportunities to listen first, then buy.

What PE and PA have both done for me is make me aware of prog groups both past and present that I wasn't aware of. By reading reviews or hearing audio and seeing video samples I can determine if I like it enough to buy it. For that I'm very grateful. Before the internet it was very difficult to obtain such info. Thanks forum members!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I have found some exellent music from the suggestions made out here...

Thanks to all!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Hasn't really affected what I buy, but makes those purchases much more timely

Ive learned about quite a few bands Ive never heard of before directly from PE but these days I do more music listening via Youtube, Soundcloud, CD Baby, Reverb Nation, etc and such than actually making purchases of ownership

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I think I've bought more crap as a result of being here than good stuff. I buy a lot of bad music to find the good stuff. Some of y'alls taste in music, quite frankly, Suck. and yet there I go... buying stuff that I have no business owning. I guess I chalk that up to wanting to contribute to the prog community in a way that matters. I probably like/relisten to about 30 percent of what I buy.

I know its my own fault but some of you really should be in sales. Your fanboyism impresses me and I bite, then I have to spit it out.

OK its not all that bad, I just need to take more opportunities to listen first, then buy.
    I think I've only sought out and purchased 3 or 4 total stinkers due to a handful of fanboy raves... as of 2014 I have enough great stuff to last me a lifetime, so my buying has slowed since
    Now I check everything before I buy. Nearly half of my current collection is due to reccos here at PE and it will take the rest of my life in this (dis)order of things to deeply digest to it all. Heck, I had nearly 5,000 albums before joining PE and I hadn't digested even all of THOSE
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 06-01-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    I'm glad to see the Deluge Grandeur mentioned because I opened that can of worms.
    thanks a lot for that, I've been on them a lot this year and they're freakin' great! one of the few new-prog bands that really lives up to the hype!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Solid B
    The Prog Corner

A solid A and B. I'm going broke; but as Maxwell Smart has said, "And loving it." Thanks PE.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.