Thread: RIP Rein van den Broek (Ekseption)

RIP Rein van den Broek (Ekseption)

Just saw the news, Rein van den Broek, who played trumpet in Ekseption, died.

Ekseption was probably my gateway to prog and I still like them. The brass gave them a bit extra.

Oh, sad news. Rein was the only member to appear on every album. He was the band leader although Rick van der Linden was definitely the band spokesman (until Rein fired him for drunkenness). Ekseption grew out of Rein's jazz combo called The Jokers.

I take it there was bad blood between Rick and Rein. The DVD on the history of Ekseption apparently made no attempt to include Rick, though he was still alive at the time.

Now both are gone, so sad.

Yep, sad news indeed. I actually have no Ekseption in my collection so I duly ordered the 3 Originals 2cd set (a reissue series which I really like, good sound on most of them) which gets you the first 4 albums on 2 cd's.

Van Den Broek is however maybe more known for the 2 bits of music he wrote called Trumpet Cross and Tarantuella which are the main themes used by the summer sports radioshow Radio Tour De France. Definetely part of my summer sondtrack.

Just heard this sad news. The other week I played the re-released LP-version of the funky jazz-rock band Spin, in which he also played:

I read he wrote those pieces, but I never listened to Radio Tour De France.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Just heard this sad news. The other week I played the re-released LP-version of the funky jazz-rock band Spin, in which he also played:

Which I think was basicly Ekseption without Rick van der Linden, who claimed the name Ekseption.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Just heard this sad news. The other week I played the re-released LP-version of the funky jazz-rock band Spin, in which he also played
    Hey, maybe you can fill in the track times for the Spin LPs on the Ekseption Wikipedia page. I never had the records so that information is still missing.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hey, maybe you can fill in the track times for the Spin LPs on the Ekseption Wikipedia page. I never had the records so that information is still missing.
    Well, I'm not registered over there, but here they are (I only have the first one):

1. Grasshopper 4:39
    2. Spinning (J.H. I) 4:03
    3. Excenter (7/8)5:18
    4. Sea And Seasons (H.H. slow) 4:57

1. Little Bitch 4:57
    2. Sunday Afternoon's Dream (J.H. II) 4:57
    3. Flat Tyre (Flat Tire) 3:32
    4. Beautiful Queenie 4:37

These track times come from the original BASF tape-box, which didn't have all the titles yet. I've added those concept-titles behind the titles. They used the BASF-thing for the inner-sleeve of the re-release.

RIP Rein.

Thanks -- still missing composer credits on "Whirlwind" but Discogs.com filled in composers on "Spin" and times on "Whirlwind."