Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

You can use it to play Gentle Giant's I Lost My Head.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    You can use it to play Gentle Giant's I Lost My Head.
    Well... probably suitable for more metallic stuff, considering it's a 7 string model...

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

A question from the novice. I'm playing this semi-hollow body now and it's been a bitch trying to get it to roar. My Boss DS-1 didn't do much to it. I checked around and ended up getting an Electro-Harmonix Soul Food overdrive pedal. That finally got me some crunch. Then I got the idea that I could stack them, even though I don't know the first thing about stacking pedals. So I tried guitar > Soul Food > DS-1 > amplifier and that sounded quite filthy. So, did I do it right? Is there a right or wrong way to do this?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    A question from the novice. I'm playing this semi-hollow body now and it's been a bitch trying to get it to roar. My Boss DS-1 didn't do much to it. I checked around and ended up getting an Electro-Harmonix Soul Food overdrive pedal. That finally got me some crunch. Then I got the idea that I could stack them, even though I don't know the first thing about stacking pedals. So I tried guitar > Soul Food > DS-1 > amplifier and that sounded quite filthy. So, did I do it right? Is there a right or wrong way to do this?
    I think you did it the way most would do it. But there is no right or wrong way, it's only down to whether you're getting a sound you like.

Seems like the main issue could be that the pickups in that guitar are kind of low output? Putting the overdrive before the DS-1 allows you to boost the signal level higher and then the DS-1 can "clip" the signal resulting in distortion. If you are having too much distortion (and the Dist knob on the DS-1 isn't already set super high) now you can try just turning up the Volume knob to a healthy level (which should help the DS-1 work optimally) and bring the Drive knob only up to the point where it doesn't get too crazy. Play around and you should find something that works.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Or put a compressor pedal at the beginning of the chain to boost the level.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama