Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

I just grabbed a Korg SDD-3000 delay pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's AWESOME! Totally worth the space. Man cannot live on one delay setting alone!
    Sean - two questions on the Flashback x4. I am looking at a couple delays, as I am not happy with my Boss DD-6. Everyone says Boss makes great delay pedals, but it just does not click with me. It's ok, and I am still playing around with different settings.

Anyway - I am going through the TC offerings,
    1. Did you try the Flashback Triple, which you can play multiple delays on, can you do that with the X4?
    2.The Alter Ego Vinatage delay sounds great too.
    3. Have you tried out any toneprints, or tried creating your own? This seems like an amazing feature - if it works great there are so many options.

I've been checking out youtube videos of all of them, and trying to decide which one to get. Did you try a number of them before choosing the Flashback X4. I doubt I need the multiple delays, I really like using delay to thicken my tone a bit for rhythm and lead, and every once in awhile a song might call for a more prominent delay - but for the most part I love the additional ambience a delay creates for your sound.

Anyway - just interested, because I think this toneprint thing could be really fun. Also, did you try the viscous vibe before getting the MXR? Just wondered what people thought of that pedal, I need a "uni-vibe" pedal for a few songs we do, trying to decide on one.

Thanks,
    Eric

I seem to be going back in time at the moment and buying pedals, given that my venerable and much-missed Quadraverb is presently in storage in the UK. I picked up a couple on my recent trip back home, those being a Boss CH-1 chorus and the pimped the Boss analogue delay (the Wasa Craft BD-2W). These have now come back to China with me where they will receive much use! They're both actually a salutary reminder that whilst it's always tempting to spend the big bucks on boutique pedals, the bog-standard Boss units actually sound pretty damn good, and the chorus especially is the definitive chorus sound, imho. Of course, I'm now experiencing the difficulty of NOT making everything I play sound like Andy Summers...

http://www.bossus.com/products/dm-2w/

http://www.bossus.com/products/ch-1/

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I seem to be going back in time at the moment and buying pedals, given that my venerable and much-missed Quadraverb is presently in storage in the UK. I picked up a couple on my recent trip back home, those being a Boss CH-1 chorus and the pimped the Boss analogue delay (the Wasa Craft BD-2W). These have now come back to China with me where they will receive much use! They're both actually a salutary reminder that whilst it's always tempting to spend the big bucks on boutique pedals, the bog-standard Boss units actually sound pretty damn good, and the chorus especially is the definitive chorus sound, imho. Of course, I'm now experiencing the difficulty of NOT making everything I play sound like Andy Summers...
    http://www.bossus.com/products/dm-2w/

http://www.bossus.com/products/ch-1/

I agree, I think BOSS does a really good job with their pedals, but they always get slammed by everyone. Although, in fairness, I think BOSS usually get high compliments for the SD-1 Distortion (pretty universal from what I have read). The only BOSS product I was ever unhappy with was my DD6 Delay, and I think it may have been defective. It never seemed to have a high enough level, I felt the initial repeat when the level was on full never matched the signal level. I've had BOSS Chorus, Tuners and a Compressor (along with the Delay) and have been happy with all of them. And they are built to last - my Chorus pedal is going on 20 years old - and still going strong.

1. Did you try the Flashback Triple, which you can play multiple delays on, can you do that with the X4?

I didn't and I am pretty sure that feature was unique to it- layering various delays.

2.The Alter Ego Vinatage delay sounds great too.

I'm curious about that one.

3. Have you tried out any toneprints, or tried creating your own? This seems like an amazing feature - if it works great there are so many options.

No, I admit I have barely scratched the surface on this one. I am almost tempted to get two small flashbacks and get rid of it since it takes up so much real estate on my pedal board. Then I could layer two. And squeeze in one more pedal too. This thing takes up the room of three pedals.

It is great sounding! For sure!

Honestly, how much variation can you get out of a delay pedal? I think the toneprint option is a bit hyped. I have the X4, never used the toneprints. It's a great pedal though.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Honestly, how much variation can you get out of a delay pedal? I think the toneprint option is a bit hyped. I have the X4, never used the toneprints. It's a great pedal though.
    With a decent delay unit, there are zillions of possibilities. From short, single delays to medium-length and super-long delays (with regeneration), the possible results are wide.

I have not tried the Toneprints.

I never cared for the Boss compressors; not enough make-up gain, squashed-sounding, weird attack... I used the old DOD Milkbox for the longest time, then I got a Xotic SP, and I REALLY like it. Quiet, powerful, small, no weird artifacts... good pedal. But for the rest of those, yeah, Boss is ALWAYS serviceable. It may or may not be the best, but it's far from the worst, they're everywhere, and they WORK.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    With a decent delay unit, there are zillions of possibilities. From short, single delays to medium-length and super-long delays (with regeneration), the possible results are wide.
    I generally have two principal criteria for delay pedals, namely "can I do a good David Gilmour/Steve Hillage with it?" I've never been a fan of slapback delays, so that's less important to me, but I generally look for a smooth, musical-sounding long delay. To be honest, I still think the original Boss digital delay pedal from the 80s takes some beating. I also had a couple of Vesta Fire units back in the day that were excellent, too. You couldn't use them with batteries though!

Timebender_Top_large.jpg

I use this: Digitech Tonebender. ENDLESS possibilities. (sadly, discontinued)

In case you didn’t see my separate thread: M-Audio Keystation 49e. Found at a thrift store for $10! Score!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

That's a deal!
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

I was in the market for M-Audio’s 88-key controller, but I think it’s out of production. This just fell into my lap. Has full-sized keys, is light and portable and doesn’t sound like a Casio? I’m there!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I was in the market for M-Audio’s 88-key controller, but I think it’s out of production. This just fell into my lap. Has full-sized keys, is light and portable and doesn’t sound like a Casio? I’m there!
    Nice - you see a lot of pros using the M-Audio gear, I'm sure it will treat you well

I have a little Oxygen 25...probably a bit too small and I paid way more than $10, lol. But at least it doesn't take up too much real estate in my tiny music room.
    <sig out of order>

I have a M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, which has a few small problems. It doesn't function anymore as an USB midi-interface. It gets its feeding from the USB-port, but that is all. besides I have to correct a few octaves, because it's a few octaves of.

I didn't buy a new bass but had an old one modified and that helped quite a bit with the GAS. My Telecaster bass has now a bridge pickup and since the mod was inspired by Chris Squire's old white Telecaster (and I can blame also Jimmy Bain, Charlie Tumahai and some others...) I played a little Fish medley with it. It has a refreshingly different sound than a Jazz Bass even though the pickup locations are the same.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ish%20Soup.mp3

Speaking of basses, I just had the amazing fortune to be in the right place at the right time to nab a 2008 Ron Clement "Jon" bass. Mine is a 6-string fretless made of a solid swamp ash body, 1-piece maple neck, and bloodwood fretboard. It is lovely and the TONE is simply sublime.

He is a custom builder (basses and guitars) based in Florida that has a rep for being extremely easy to work with and his instruments are very well-priced. His instruments regularly get compared to basses that are three to five times the cost. He usually has a few basses in stock and ready to go.

I am so knocked out by my bass that i want to get the word out. here is his site.

http://www.clementbass.com/

I will take some photos of mine and try and post them here.

Here's a little Hammond diddy I am building. First mock up with an XK2 as the lower manual. I have since purchased an XLK3 lower manual & chopped the H100 frame a bit. I will post more pix as the project PROGresses.IMG_0424.jpg

That's pretty cool! Sort of what one of my friends who is into modifying cars might call a "sleeper" - no one really knows what's under the hood.

That Tele bass is really cool as well.

I spent the weekend watching YouTube clips of the Kemper Profiling amp (well, not the entire weekend). They go for about $2000. Considering I've been thinking about other fairly expensive amps, the Kemper might ultimately save me money. I hadn't realized until this weekend, but it also works pretty well for bass. So it could prove pretty useful for home recording.
    <sig out of order>

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I was visiting Chicago after being at a conference last week. My wife and I were going to the ballgame at Wrigley, so we stopped by Chicago Music Exchange which is nearby. Wow, what a store. All the boutique brands that you rarely get to see, let alone play, are there for you to try out (well, no LSL, but you can't have everything. Some super nice stuff. I was particularly interested in trying the Nash line, and they had them in spades. I focused on their Teles for guitar, and tried out their Jazz basses as well, looking for an upgrade for my Mexican Fender 60s model.

Nash makes some beautiful stuff, but it is pricey. Interestingly, for the money, I didn't see such a gigantic improvement in playability on their basses compared to my Mexican J, let alone my USA made Jaco bass. Also, all the Nash necks were super fat. I like a fat neck, but some of these were just crazy, particularly on the Teles.

The best thing I played was actually the new Fender American Elite Tele. It had a great feel, was super-light, and I liked the compound neck which really helped playability. I didn't have time to plug it in and really put it through its paces, but that guitar spoke to me. I don't really need a Tele, but since when did "need" ever enter the picture?

Anyway, if that store was closer to me, I'd be much poorer, and have way more guitars than I do already.

Bill

I just picked up the Yamaha MX49 keyboard - wow! what an upgrade from my old PSR - It got destroyed because I had it plugged in during a severe thunderstorm. I have to unplug all my gear and shut everything down during these Texas amazing thunderstorms we have. Its killed a lot of my gear over the years. But I'm just blown away by the sounds from this keyboard. I havent actually sampled them all, because there are just so many. I was loking to get my VTS's hooked up to a keyboard controller, and was looking at the Akai -(cant recall the name) It had supposedly, a Killer set of VST's but I found out how difficult it is to get the software installed (VIP) - and since my studio PC has never been on the internet, I would not be able to install the software. So I went in this direction - and WOW! I am blown away by how good these sounds are - even the classic synth sounds are just killer. Now the trouble is I have to redo all my synth tracks with this new keyboard. - Chalk up another 3 years in getting a song done...

This is what sold me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3nx8LS2EuQ
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 05-22-2016 at 12:33 AM.

...so now you got a decent keyboard for your Rush tribute project!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I just got an interesting pedal, the Mad Professor Evolution Orange Underdrive: http://tonereport.com/reviews/mad-pr...nge-underdrive

In short, it works subtractively by reducing gain on a cranked tube amp, creating a cleaner - but not squeaky clean - tone. It's supposed to be a replacement for cases of a single channel amp where the player likes to get a fairly high gain sound and uses the volume knob to back it off for cleaner sounds, without the loss of tone that results from lowering the volume. I just got it yesterday and fired it up. It definitely performs as advertised.

I run my Blackstar HT-1R with reasonably high overdrive, think of a cranked Stevie Ray Vaughn sound. I still get a lot of fundamental, but it's a good overdriven rock/blues tone. I push it with my EP Boost for solos, and add my Open Roads overdrive if I want a more saturated sound. All well and good, but there's really no good option for a cleaner sound. Backing off the volume sucks tone, and low and high end, not to mention volume. So this pedal seemed a good option.

So far I'm happy with it. It cleans up the sound and if there is a little tone loss, you can compensate with the bass/treble/mid knobs. You lose FAR less tone than adjusting the volume, and I added back just a touch of treble and bass. It basically sounds like a lower gain version of my basic tone, which is exactly what I wanted. My only concern with it is that I have the volume at full, otherwise there is too much volume loss. That may just be they way it is interacting with my amp/setup. Fortunately, at that setting, it gives me a good balance with my overdriven sound, but I have no headroom to adjust it further.

So, a pretty innovative pedal idea that really suits my needs. I sort of feel like it's made my single channel amp into a two-channel, with far less tonal difference between the two channels. And since I never use a really squeaky clean sound, it works for me.

Bill