Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920
Results 476 to 484 of 484

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

  1. #476
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Ha ha...I am much more "familiar" with STRYMON, WREN AND CUFF, and PIGTRONIX.

    I'd have to get awfully bored to bring that Daddy-O back into the rotation. But I do appreciate the encouragement.
    Yeah, if you already have great pedals I guess it's hard to get excited about a not-so-great one, lol!
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  2. #477
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ningbo, China
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    You can pick up used (and modded) Daddy-O's very reasonably on Reverb.
    No need - in the UK, I have both the hi-gain channels on my Blackstar amp, plus a Blackstar LT Dual drive pedal, while in China I have a Blackstar HT-Metal tube distortion unit (hmmm, I'm sensing a theme developing here!). All of them are better than the Guv'nor, to be honest, and the last thing I need is yet more pedals!

  3. #478
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    No need - in the UK, I have both the hi-gain channels on my Blackstar amp, plus a Blackstar LT Dual drive pedal, while in China I have a Blackstar HT-Metal tube distortion unit (hmmm, I'm sensing a theme developing here!). All of them are better than the Guv'nor, to be honest, and the last thing I need is yet more pedals!
    I hear you. The only reason would have been for nostalgia. For me this all started due to my desire to get rid of anything I don't use or need. If I didn't have the modded Daddy-O I probably would have eventually wanted to add some sort of dirt pedal to my board. Honestly, my Mini Rectifier gives me all the gain I need (and way more) although since I don't play guitar live these days I don't need multiple levels of gain ready at the press of a button.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  4. #479
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I hear you. The only reason would have been for nostalgia. For me this all started due to my desire to get rid of anything I don't use or need. If I didn't have the modded Daddy-O I probably would have eventually wanted to add some sort of dirt pedal to my board. Honestly, my Mini Rectifier gives me all the gain I need (and way more) although since I don't play guitar live these days I don't need multiple levels of gain ready at the press of a button.
    Yes, there is absolutely a special treat to be had by taking something ordinary and turning it into a good tool with a bit of thought and modification, especially when it neatly fills your needs like in your case.

    When gear stops being useful I try to move my stuff along free of charge to a needy person...perhaps I should do that with the Daddy-O.
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 08-15-2019 at 05:30 PM.

  5. #480
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,209
    Fun video where Rob Scallon and friends create a record breaking pedal board of 300 pedals. Coincidentally Alex Lifeson turns up too at the 21:12 mark!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWRfLuJ_NKw&t=1280s

  6. #481
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,042
    ^^ The Edge of U2 carries a large pedal board on tour. He uses the original pedal(s) for each song they recorded, of which there have been many over the years and decades.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  7. #482
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    980
    Sometimes we forget how important the smaller, new-gear additions can be. For me, this was made clear when I bought a new set of snare wires for one of my snare drums. This Tama drum just wasn't living up to what I thought it was capable of. My hunch was that new snare wires could help. It seemed that the snare tension was always wrong...too tight for quiet playing, too loose for heavier hits. So I bought a set of Fat Cat adjustable snare wires. There are two outer strands and one inner strand.


    One sets the basic snare wire tension for a heavy hit. Then, one can adjust the middle wires to a looser setting so that one has sensitivity for quieter playing. It can take a while to get just the right combo but it improved the response significantly. A very cool solution.

    (Some snare drums try to design around the issue with multiple throw-offs or a three-way throw-off so that one can adjust it when playing but it can sometimes be a drag to have to adjust it frequently. The Fat Cat snare wires step around this issue quite nicely, elegantly, and inexpensively.)

  8. #483
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Sometimes we forget how important the smaller, new-gear additions can be. For me, this was made clear when I bought a new set of snare wires for one of my snare drums. This Tama drum just wasn't living up to what I thought it was capable of. My hunch was that new snare wires could help. It seemed that the snare tension was always wrong...too tight for quiet playing, too loose for heavier hits. So I bought a set of Fat Cat adjustable snare wires. There are two outer strands and one inner strand.


    One sets the basic snare wire tension for a heavy hit. Then, one can adjust the middle wires to a looser setting so that one has sensitivity for quieter playing. It can take a while to get just the right combo but it improved the response significantly. A very cool solution.

    (Some snare drums try to design around the issue with multiple throw-offs or a three-way throw-off so that one can adjust it when playing but it can sometimes be a drag to have to adjust it frequently. The Fat Cat snare wires step around this issue quite nicely, elegantly, and inexpensively.)
    Very interesting. I've always been sort of a drummer wannabe. My brother, my cousin, and my son all play but it's something I never felt I had a knack for despite being surrounded with drummers that inspire me. At least there's always one to jam with.

    It looks like I might be moving in the next couple of months if all goes well. The place we're interested in has a heated garage separate from the house. It's almost perfect for a jam room and/or recording studio. So my plan is to (finally) buy myself a decent drum kit and have it all mic'ed up. I could make as much noise as I like out there and not disturb anyone.

    But right now I am trying not to spend any money at all before the (potential) move. Which is frustrating because (since getting a Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal) I've got my eye on Strymon's Timeline and Mobius pedals....drool....
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  9. #484
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,376
    Anyone want to add LEDs to their fretboard?

    https://imgur.com/a/dyWuYJ6
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •