Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I could create a hot key, but I never did that. I did it with a try-out version of Cubase 7.5.
    I was just thinking now that you can be in front of your computer the hot key would be very quick and convenient.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I was just thinking now that you can be in front of your computer the hot key would be very quick and convenient.
    There is not much difference between using the mouse to select the right note-lenght or a hot key.

FWIW I have a Keystep and think it is really, really great.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    FWIW I have a Keystep and think it is really, really great.
    It has some nice adventages, like aftertouch and control-voltage outputs. Wonder how long the cables are, that are with the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    This being the case, I'd be dead set on sending it back to Fender and asking why they STILL can't build instruments properly after 60+ years of essentially making the same ones. Ditto Gibson.
    Fender makes fantastic instruments at all price points, and generally speaking their quality control is excellent. Everyone makes a dud from time to time, or even if the instrument isn't a dud, it doesn't leave the factory in perfect condition. Yeah, the nut may be bad, neck relief may not be perfect (though this could be setup at the shop as well), or it needs a bit more attention in some respect. Most of these instruments can be made to play, but the onus for that shouldn't be on the buyer assuming it's a new instrument. But overall I'd say Fender's reputation for quality is superb given the number of instruments they turn out.

Gibson is far more hit-or-miss, and they largely deserve their poor quality reputation. Though you can get a good new Gibson, but it's more of a crap shoot. But I say the vast majority of Fenders are solid out of the gate.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    It has some nice adventages, like aftertouch and control-voltage outputs. Wonder how long the cables are, that are with the keyboard.
    Not very long...I think the 1/8" patch cables are a couple of feet long, max.

I got it for exactly the reasons you mentioned: it has a very solid feel, the aftertouch is smooth, and at a price point that is WAY lower than I would've expected it to be. I use it with both software synths and some of my rack-mounted hardware devices. I haven't actually used the CV yet, but as a USB or MIDI controller it's terrific.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

The root of the problem is when Guitar Center fails to setup the truss rod while tuning it to pitch. This unnaturally warps the neck, making it quite difficult to correct the problem. Don't send it back to Fender, return it to Guitar Center...it's their fault.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    After 60+ years....do you think they'd finally get the message if I sent mine back? Methinks there are greater forces at work.
    Fair point. It's still infuriating, though - especially as both Fender and Gibson's US-produced guitars are so expensive, and yet are often light years behind the quality standards East Asian manufacturers seem to regard as routine.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Fair point. It's still infuriating, though - especially as both Fender and Gibson's US-produced guitars are so expensive, and yet are often light years behind the quality standards East Asian manufacturers seem to regard as routine.
    I hear you. The quality issues are a bit of a mystery to me since I work at a company where manufacturing things with tight tolerances is an everyday concern. It really shouldn't be difficult to get right and I would assume a lot of critical aspects of the construction of a guitar are automated.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Guitar players - I'm looking for a cheap beginner electric. I love my cheap acoustic guitar, an Epiphone. She's a durable thing with a decent tone. Now I am hoping, provided that I can keep my tendinitis at bay, to go electric by this fall. I was thinking of a Yamaha Pacifica PAC112V. Any thoughts and which pickup would be better? I'll be getting it at local store, not Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010X7LF8...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart