Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

Pretty good little guitar picker

^^^
    Cool. I visited a lot of those shops on Denmark Street the last time I was in London. Hanks for sure, and the one that had the Gibson doubleneck. It's fun to see all that stuff, but it's usually massively overpriced. There was a shop in Bath as well that had some of Martin Barre's guitars, nothing that he notably used however, just stuff he'd picked up then sold.

Bill

I ended up buying an electronic drum set (Roland TD-17kvx) and it's pretty awesome, particularly when combined with Superior Drummer 3.0. My guitar and bass chops are now suffering badly as I've mostly spent my time playing drums. I still don't think I'll ever be that great at drums, but I'm having fun anyway which is the whole point at this stage. I did manage to play drums, guitar, bass, and a tiny amount of keys all in one day recently though.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I ended up buying an electronic drum set (Roland TD-17kvx) and it's pretty awesome, particularly when combined with Superior Drummer 3.0. My guitar and bass chops are now suffering badly as I've mostly spent my time playing drums. I still don't think I'll ever be that great at drums, but I'm having fun anyway which is the whole point at this stage. I did manage to play drums, guitar, bass, and a tiny amount of keys all in one day recently though.
    Still playing drums? And did you get back to guitar and bass? I certainly find that while I really enjoy trying to play multiple instruments, I would be a better player if I only went after one or two instruments. But where is the fun in that??

How about the rest of you…any new gear? (This thread is too good to let die.)

guitar rig electric 2023.jpg

OK, I'll bite. Last week, a neighbor of mine lent me this Black Beauty LP. It's a little to get used to. It seems to me the middle pickup gets in my clumsy way if I try to pick anything. But when you slam a chord with the volume/tone cranked up on the bridge, she roars like a demon.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    guitar rig electric 2023.jpg

OK, I'll bite. Last week, a neighbor of mine lent me this Black Beauty LP. It's a little to get used to. It seems to me the middle pickup gets in my clumsy way if I try to pick anything. But when you slam a chord with the volume/tone cranked up on the bridge, she roars like a demon.
    Are you trying to channel Jan Akkerman? Saw him play his black beauty last year.

P1010089.jpg

I personally find the 3 pup LP, and/or SG severely limited. The only pup combinations are bridge alone, neck and middle together, or all 3. But to each his own.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

New video with Dweezil.
    Last edited by StarThrower; 07-21-2023 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Still playing drums? And did you get back to guitar and bass? I certainly find that while I really enjoy trying to play multiple instruments, I would be a better player if I only went after one or two instruments. But where is the fun in that??

How about the rest of you…any new gear? (This thread is too good to let die.)
    Ovation Elite 12 String, lovin it!
    Ovation 12 string.jpg
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Ovation Elite 12 String, lovin it!
    Ovation 12 string.jpg
    Way cool! I was just discussing Ovations with a neighbor recently. So many great players found their non-feedback design to be what they needed for live work. Even Al DiMeola used them.
    Pretty space age for the time, weren’t they?

Any 12-string is a box of magic. I have several including a 70s Guild in Rosewood. Several Taylors as well.

(I recently played an all-Koa Taylor 12. Holy mole! It was so rich and lush. I fell in love but it was $6K so I…put it back on its perch.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Way cool! I was just discussing Ovations with a neighbor recently. So many great players found their non-feedback design to be what they needed for live work. Even Al DiMeola used them.
    Pretty space age for the time, weren’t they?

Any 12-string is a box of magic. I have several including a 70s Guild in Rosewood. Several Taylors as well.

(I recently played an all-Koa Taylor 12. Holy mole! It was so rich and lush. I fell in love but it was $6K so I…put it back on its perch.)
    Yes, they are a box of magic. I was shooting for an electric Danelectro, but even though I usually sit when playing, I was worried about the weight, plus the acoustics just make those 12 strings sing.
    I was in love with the Epiphone Hummingbird sound that I heard online, but it was waaaay out of my budget, and the Ovation Elite Celebrity was under $600.
    My wife fell in love with the look, I have a vintage Takamine that is black and the 2 of them together look awesome sitting in their racks next to each other.
    I had to sell some stuff and she threw in some birthday money to get it.
    I love the Taylors, especially the 6 strings, but I've only compared them on Youtube.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Anyone seen the new Boss GM-800 guitar synth? Price of entry is a bit lower than their last attempt and it sounds like this one could have the best tracking yet. I will wait for reviews though.

Just found this video and have not watched it yet:
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Anyone seen the new Boss GM-800 guitar synth? Price of entry is a bit lower than their last attempt and it sounds like this one could have the best tracking yet. I will wait for reviews though.

Just found this video and have not watched it yet:
    So. I have been avoiding the GAS and have been trying to concentrate on making the most of what I have re-gathered since my big clear out of 2015.
    Then I remembered that I used to do a bit of Conga playing and a lot of Shaking Tambs, Maracas and Sleigh bells.
    This kinda got me hankering for something to beat out a few Reggaeton rhythms, so I have ordered a little 10" Djembe from China and honestly can't wait to receive it and get to using the beastie on my stuff
    Last edited by clivey; 10-04-2023 at 05:03 PM.

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    I bought the Waterfall B3 "Clonewheel" VST from Universal Audio today for it was on sale for 50% off. It sounds really nice. It's not as flexible in terms of sound shaping possibilities inside the plugin as IK Multimedia's B3X, but it loads up faster on my machine, and its GUI doesn't take up 90% of my screen.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    I bought the Waterfall B3 "Clonewheel" VST from Universal Audio today for it was on sale for 50% off. It sounds really nice. It's not as flexible in terms of sound shaping possibilities inside the plugin as IK Multimedia's B3X, but it loads up faster on my machine, and its GUI doesn't take up 90% of my screen.
    Very cool!
    There is nothing like the Queen of the Instruments. Organs are so powerful and useful.