Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

So, I had an interesting weekend with the new MTD bass. On Friday, I got it professionally set up. The guy who did it said I'd done a pretty good job, but it was good to get a professional to look at it. After fiddling with it, he determined the neck has a slight warp on the treble side about 2-3 fret marks from the end of the neck. It prevents me from getting the action as low as I'd like. He said it wouldn't be a big deal to sand down, but I wanted to ponder that.

I took it home, played it a bit Friday, then Saturday dug it out and was just really unhappy with it. I was in the process of changing strings on my Toby, when I found a set of medium light (.100 gauge) DR Lo-Riders that I'd taken off my P bass. Figuring, "what the hell," I slapped those on to replace the .095s that were on there. Obviously I had to tighten the truss a tiny bit, but then I was able to lower the bridge and damn if it wasn't an improvement. I don't think the higher gauge strings resonate as much, so you can set the action a bit lower without buzz. Also, even though these DRs are hex core, I think they are a bit lower tension than other hex core bass strings. They certainly feel more flexible.

So now I'm liking the bass a bit more. I'm actually thinking about having the neck sanded to fix that problem, and then trying out either some DR or GHS round core strings, that have lower tension but still at .100 gauge. I'm surprised going up the gauge helped that much, I usually have great luck with the .095s, but the bass just felt way too stiff set up with those.

It's still heavy, my back was sore after playing that bass all day Saturday, then a three hour rehearsal with my P bass on Sunday. But I'm OK now. Maybe it will make me stronger!

Bill

Maybe you could strap it on and do some exercises with it every day.

I get frustrated making all those adjustments to my basses. I really only started digging into that sort of thing myself 2 or 3 years ago. Both of my basses are difficult to adjust the truss rod. One requires a 4.5mm hex wrench because that's just what seems to work since the previous owner semi stripped out the internal truss rod hex. The second one is a replacement neck from Warmoth and the adjustment is at the other end, near the body. I have to remove the pick guard to access it. I just need to stop being lazy, pull everything off the pick guard, and bring it to work where I can cut a notch out of the pick guard with a dremel tool or maybe my waterjet (just because I can).
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Maybe you could strap it on and do some exercises with it every day.
    You laugh, but it isn't a half bad idea!

I get frustrated making all those adjustments to my basses. I really only started digging into that sort of thing myself 2 or 3 years ago. Both of my basses are difficult to adjust the truss rod. One requires a 4.5mm hex wrench because that's just what seems to work since the previous owner semi stripped out the internal truss rod hex. The second one is a replacement neck from Warmoth and the adjustment is at the other end, near the body. I have to remove the pick guard to access it. I just need to stop being lazy, pull everything off the pick guard, and bring it to work where I can cut a notch out of the pick guard with a dremel tool or maybe my waterjet (just because I can).
    That drives me nuts too. Vintage Fenders are all this way, and so are their reissues. If you can do a nice job cutting the pickguard, I say do it. It just makes things so much easier.

Mercifully my '57 Strat reissue and my '51 P bass reissue have been super stable, so aside from one tweak when I got each of them, neither has had to be adjusted again. I'm considering changing gauge on the Strat, and it will definitely need a tweak then, but I think I'm going to have that done professionally.

But I vastly prefer guitars that either have truss adjustment at the headstock, or have easy access to the truss at the base of the neck via a plate (like my MTD and Tobias Growler).

Bill

I've removed the pick guard and I'm ready to cut it tomorrow. I guess this thread motivated me. The bass is kind of a Frankenstein situation anyway, so I'm not too worried about appearance. You should see the hack job I did on the body just in order to be able to access the truss rod adjustment. It's pretty ugly. So cutting away that part of the pick guard might reveal a bit of that nastiness. This bass only needs adjusting because I previously had it tuned down a whole step. Once I get it set up right it shouldn't move much.

My Strats have both been really stable and I've never had to adjust the truss on either one.

I did a test recording using the line out of my buddy's Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 straight into my Mackie mixer and while I would want to dial in the EQ a bit better, it was easily the best recorded bass sound I've come up with so far. Much warmer sounding than my Ampeg. I needed to practice tonight (learning Black Dog for the first time....tricky!) and tried to dig into the EQ on my Ampeg more, trying to alter things radically, thinking I just hadn't hit upon the right settings. It's not a terrible amp, but I still just can't get it to where I'm completely happy with it. There's a sort of nasally honk factor I can't quite eliminate. Not as warm as the Genz Benz.
    <sig out of order>

I did a test recording using the line out of my buddy's Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 straight into my Mackie mixer and while I would want to dial in the EQ a bit better, it was easily the best recorded bass sound I've come up with so far. Much warmer sounding than my Ampeg. I needed to practice tonight (learning Black Dog for the first time....tricky!) and tried to dig into the EQ on my Ampeg more, trying to alter things radically, thinking I just hadn't hit upon the right settings. It's not a terrible amp, but I still just can't get it to where I'm completely happy with it. There's a sort of nasally honk factor I can't quite eliminate. Not as warm as the Genz Benz.
    I assume you're using a line out and a direct box (if needed) going to the board?

Personally, I never liked the sound of going direct on bass unless I'm using some kind of amp modeling. For recording, I always demand mics on the speakers, even if that is mixed with a direct sound. I even prefer that on stage. I'm surprised it's so important to you to get a direct recorded sound. Is the rhythm section playing everything live for recording? If so, then I guess I could see it. If not, I'd just get a cheap modeler and record the bass that way. I'm astounded how good a recorded tone you can get going that route.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    You laugh, but it isn't a half bad idea!

That drives me nuts too. Vintage Fenders are all this way, and so are their reissues. If you can do a nice job cutting the pickguard, I say do it. It just makes things so much easier.

Mercifully my '57 Strat reissue and my '51 P bass reissue have been super stable, so aside from one tweak when I got each of them, neither has had to be adjusted again. I'm considering changing gauge on the Strat, and it will definitely need a tweak then, but I think I'm going to have that done professionally.

But I vastly prefer guitars that either have truss adjustment at the headstock, or have easy access to the truss at the base of the neck via a plate (like my MTD and Tobias Growler).

Bill

Neck stability is the bane of the guitarist/bassist's life here in China, where the variations in humidity are such that the action on instruments can vary from day to day, never mind, month to month - and no amount of trussrod adjustment will cause the damn things to settle down. For example, my otherwise excellent Charvel So-Cal regularly suffers from a dead spot on the 2nd fret as a result of the neck swelling and moving in high humidity, which can vary from a mild buzz to the strings being almost completely choked - not good, and often extremely irritating. At the moment, however, it's cold and the humidity is relatively low, and it's entirely disappeared, the downside to this being that the action has raised itself quite significantly, however. The bassist in my band, who has offered to set the Charvel up for me again after Chinese New Year, has mentioned that it's a constant battle with his own basses (one of which is a very high-end Warwick) to keep the necks straight and actions constant and playable. Not fun, quite frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Neck stability is the bane of the guitarist/bassist's life here in China, where the variations in humidity are such that the action on instruments can vary from day to day, never mind, month to month - and no amount of trussrod adjustment will cause the damn things to settle down. For example, my otherwise excellent Charvel So-Cal regularly suffers from a dead spot on the 2nd fret as a result of the neck swelling and moving in high humidity, which can vary from a mild buzz to the strings being almost completely choked - not good, and often extremely irritating. At the moment, however, it's cold and the humidity is relatively low, and it's entirely disappeared, the downside to this being that the action has raised itself quite significantly, however. The bassist in my band, who has offered to set the Charvel up for me again after Chinese New Year, has mentioned that it's a constant battle with his own basses (one of which is a very high-end Warwick) to keep the necks straight and actions constant and playable. Not fun, quite frankly.
    You ever given any consideration to a graphite neck? I have a Rainsong acoustic, and I absolutely love it. Action is the same regardless of humidity, and we have some pretty severe swings here in New England (though probably not as severe as what you're up against in China).

I have had temptations to try a graphite neck bass, but I'd want it to be fretless, and the selection out there is limited. So it might have to be custom for me to get just what I'm looking for.

Bill

I assume you're using a line out and a direct box (if needed) going to the board?

Personally, I never liked the sound of going direct on bass unless I'm using some kind of amp modeling. For recording, I always demand mics on the speakers, even if that is mixed with a direct sound. I even prefer that on stage. I'm surprised it's so important to you to get a direct recorded sound. Is the rhythm section playing everything live for recording? If so, then I guess I could see it. If not, I'd just get a cheap modeler and record the bass that way. I'm astounded how good a recorded tone you can get going that route.

Bill
    The methods of recording I have tried:

Bass --> Ampeg B2-RE --> Shure PG52 close miking the speaker cabinet

Bass --> Line out of Ampeg straight into mixer

Bass --> Sansamp Bass DI --> mixer

Bass --> Boss LMB-3 bass enhancer/limiter --> Sansamp Bass DI --> mixer

Rode K2 about 4 feet from speaker cabinet (picks up way too much room sound)

Bass --> Genz Benz Shuttle --> line out (tried both pre/post settings) --> mixer

Perhaps I just haven't found the right DI box. Even the Shuttle line out in the Pre setting was better than the other methods I tried, so that tells me my basses aren't lost causes.
    <sig out of order>

You ever given any consideration to a graphite neck? I have a Rainsong acoustic, and I absolutely love it. Action is the same regardless of humidity, and we have some pretty severe swings here in New England (though probably not as severe as what you're up against in China).

I have had temptations to try a graphite neck bass, but I'd want it to be fretless, and the selection out there is limited. So it might have to be custom for me to get just what I'm looking for.

Bill
    Sadly, such things are impossible to find over here - even in nearby Shanghai - and would be hideously expensive even if available, as the Chinese government imposes truly draconian levels of taxation on what it deems high-end luxury goods like these.

Bass --> Ampeg B2-RE --> Shure PG52 close miking the speaker cabinet

Bass --> Line out of Ampeg straight into mixer

Bass --> Boss LMB-3 bass enhancer/limiter --> Sansamp Bass DI --> mixer

Rode K2 about 4 feet from speaker cabinet (picks up way too much room sound)

Bass --> Genz Benz Shuttle --> line out (tried both pre/post settings) --> mixer

Perhaps I just haven't found the right DI box. Even the Shuttle line out in the Pre setting was better than the other methods I tried, so that tells me my basses aren't lost causes.
    I am sure you don't want to throw more money at the situation but I really like my EBS Microbass II.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I am sure you don't want to throw more money at the situation but I really like my EBS Microbass II.
    I'm not completely against throwing more money at it, but my wife is. But seriously, if something like the EBS did the trick I'd consider it. I have two goals I'm trying to achieve at the moment (which may or may not conflict...short term they may conflict due to availability of $$$) and that is a recorded bass tone that I like as well as a lighter and/or smaller bass rig to take to gigs.

So far I'm not having too much luck selling gear (I haven't gone the Reverb route yet). I got 6 or 7 emails from a guy who saw my Craigslist ad for a mixing board I'm selling. This guy was telling me he could get the same thing used at Guitar Center for much less than my price and he'd have a 45-day return guarantee. I told him to go buy it there. He still kept arguing with me, let a week pass and made the same low offer, etc. These people are a pain!
    <sig out of order>

I'm not completely against throwing more money at it, but my wife is. But seriously, if something like the EBS did the trick I'd consider it. I have two goals I'm trying to achieve at the moment (which may or may not conflict...short term they may conflict due to availability of $$$) and that is a recorded bass tone that I like as well as a lighter and/or smaller bass rig to take to gigs.

So far I'm not having too much luck selling gear (I haven't gone the Reverb route yet). I got 6 or 7 emails from a guy who saw my Craigslist ad for a mixing board I'm selling. This guy was telling me he could get the same thing used at Guitar Center for much less than my price and he'd have a 45-day return guarantee. I told him to go buy it there. He still kept arguing with me, let a week pass and made the same low offer, etc. These people are a pain!
    I don't want to hear that. I have about 4 items I'd like to sell and my hunch is that it'll be difficult.
    I hope you find the Holy Grail for your recording.

I don't want to hear that. I have about 4 items I'd like to sell and my hunch is that it'll be difficult.
    I hope you find the Holy Grail for your recording.
    It's a fairly small and relatively low population area I live in. There probably just aren't that many people looking for the stuff I'm selling.
    <sig out of order>

What mixer, Plasma?

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the SansAmp? What didn't you like about it?

Sadly, such things are impossible to find over here - even in nearby Shanghai - and would be hideously expensive even if available, as the Chinese government imposes truly draconian levels of taxation on what it deems high-end luxury goods like these.
    Hmmm, I'm surprised there aren't any Chinese manufacturers experimenting with graphite necks. But I'm sure you're correct if you can't find any. They are pricey over here, I can't imagine what they'd be like buying them in China given what you say. Oh well, so much for that idea.

Bill

What mixer, Plasma?
    I'm selling a PreSonus Studiolive 16.0.2.
    <sig out of order>

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the SansAmp? What didn't you like about it?
    To my mind it sounds quite a bit like the Ampeg and has the same problem of not sounding all that warm and has some aspects that I can't dial out with the EQ controls. It could just be that the combination of my P-basses and the SansAmp (or the Ampeg) just doesn't work for me, but the P-bass is just fine with the Genz Benz for some reason.
    <sig out of order>

I'm selling a PreSonus Studiolive 16.0.2.
    A nice board!
    Good luck selling it!

To my mind it sounds quite a bit like the Ampeg and has the same problem of not sounding all that warm and has some aspects that I can't dial out with the EQ controls. It could just be that the combination of my P-basses and the SansAmp (or the Ampeg) just doesn't work for me, but the P-bass is just fine with the Genz Benz for some reason.
    Yeah, I don't think it's your basses. You can usually get a good sound out of P basses of any provenance. I'm a little surprised the SansAmp didn't work, but I don't doubt your experience with it.

I have no experience with Genz Benz at all. They certainly have a good reputation, but their gear isn't that widely available, and I've never had the opportunity to play with one. Those Shuttle amps look nice. The Shuttle 6.2 has a tube preamp. I'll bet that would sound nice direct into a board, especially with all the output capabilities of that little head. Parametric EQ and lots of tone shaping options on the front panel as well.

Hmmmm, tempting.

Actually all the money I made selling off a few things is gone now, partly on my MTD, and then my wife just got a Nord Electro 5. She was due a new board, she's been on the Electro 1 since 2001 or 2002. It's served us well, but it was time for an upgrade. It arrived today, I assume she's at home playing with it now!

Bill

Yeah, I don't think it's your basses. You can usually get a good sound out of P basses of any provenance. I'm a little surprised the SansAmp didn't work, but I don't doubt your experience with it.

I have no experience with Genz Benz at all. They certainly have a good reputation, but their gear isn't that widely available, and I've never had the opportunity to play with one. Those Shuttle amps look nice. The Shuttle 6.2 has a tube preamp. I'll bet that would sound nice direct into a board, especially with all the output capabilities of that little head. Parametric EQ and lots of tone shaping options on the front panel as well.

Hmmmm, tempting.

Actually all the money I made selling off a few things is gone now, partly on my MTD, and then my wife just got a Nord Electro 5. She was due a new board, she's been on the Electro 1 since 2001 or 2002. It's served us well, but it was time for an upgrade. It arrived today, I assume she's at home playing with it now!

Bill
    A new Nord! Good for her! (But yeah, that would deplete the funds quickly.)
    I have a Nord C1 and I love its classic organ tones.

Hmmm, I'm surprised there aren't any Chinese manufacturers experimenting with graphite necks. But I'm sure you're correct if you can't find any. They are pricey over here, I can't imagine what they'd be like buying them in China given what you say. Oh well, so much for that idea.

Bill
    There may well be, but it's all exported (same with consumer electronics, home appliances, computers, etc.). The stuff you can buy in China isn't a patch on the stuff made in China and then sent overseas. It IS a great idea, though!

Do you have a relatively local music store you could trade/PX gear at? It sounds to me like your struggles with the Ampeg are turning into a bit of a lost cause. Sometimes it's best to concede defeat and move onto something else.

Do you have a relatively local music store you could trade/PX gear at? It sounds to me like your struggles with the Ampeg are turning into a bit of a lost cause. Sometimes it's best to concede defeat and move onto something else.
    I really think it's somehow just a bad match-up of the various pieces of equipment compounded by me just getting sick of that sound or being ready to move on. I watched a YouTube review of the Ampeg last night where a guy set up a looper pedal just repeating a riff while he messed with the controls on the amp. It sounded better than my amp. So it's possible I just kind of have a dud or that guy had a bass that worked better with the amp. But that demo also seemed to show that the amp was not capable of what I'm after.

Since EBS was mentioned I checked out a YouTube demo of an EBS class D type amp (EBS Reidmar 750) that sounds like an even more "hifi" version of the Genz Benz Shuttle. It was so hifi that it was almost too revealing and intimidating! But I think something along the lines of the Shuttle or Reidmar is where I'd like to end up.

For now I'm only holding onto the Ampeg because it's my only bass amp and I need it for band practice. Even if I sell it, they don't seem to be fetching much more than $200-$250, so they have not held their value well. It won't contribute that much toward any solution. I may be better off keeping it as a backup.
    <sig out of order>

Bill
    I guess I'm thinking of the old stories of "going direct" from way back in the day. But they were going direct into some super amazing old mixing board, not some super clean and high quality but relatively characterless modern mixer. I'm really encouraged by what I heard from the Shuttle's line out. Use of the tube circuit didn't hurt, that's for sure.
    <sig out of order>

Feel free to doubt my experience! Personally, I am having a hard time reconciling the fact that some of the equipment I bought got rave reviews (the SansAmp as one example) but my experience is "meh". Makes me feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, which is why I'm trying to go back now and make sure I've covered all the extremes of the different variables (EQ settings, signal path options, etc.) to make sure I'm not missing anything that should be obvious. I'm not an expert or professional, only a part time hobbyist.
    <sig out of order>