Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

Hey - anybody got an Alesis QSR? Our keyboardist left, and I'm floundering around trying to come up with sounds. I have one of these, and it has some pretty good sounds and programming capability, but it doesn't seem to be capable of MIDI MAPPING! I need it to do this, based on my controller's inability to call up different banks and mixes on the QSR. But the manual mentions NOTHING about mapping program numbers, and I can't find a way to do it by sifting through the menus. Anyone have any ideas?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I just bought (to go along with my new TD-15) six Dauz 6" (http://secure.pacificforce.net/dauz/index.php) drum pads. My kit is going to be HUGE!!!! More stuff to hit. (a bad drummers dream come true) I bought the three pads,but after I bought them they sais they dont make them any more, so they are sending me 6 with the swivels - Nice!! - Now I have to figure out how to mount all those little buggers. The guy said they dont sell the triple (trinity) mounts any more because of crosstalk. I have a pair of the earlier double mounts and they are very very good pads. Built like a tank.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I just bought (to go along with my new TD-15) six Dauz 6" (http://secure.pacificforce.net/dauz/index.php) drum pads. My kit is going to be HUGE!!!! More stuff to hit. (a bad drummers dream come true) I bought the three pads,but after I bought them they sais they dont make them any more, so they are sending me 6 with the swivels - Nice!! - Now I have to figure out how to mount all those little buggers. The guy said they dont sell the triple (trinity) mounts any more because of crosstalk. I have a pair of the earlier double mounts and they are very very good pads. Built like a tank.
    Very cool, Yodelgoat!
    Please give us a review of the pads when you set them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I ordered this:
    https://www.arturia.com/products/ana...ction/overview
    for myself
    And a set of tenor banjo strings for my dad.
    Very cool! I bet you will love it. I prefer the real deal but this is a great alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Very cool! I bet you will love it. I prefer the real deal but this is a great alternative.
    In some ways the real deal may be to be prefered, but it's to expensive, to big and it doesn't have the possibility to use it with the computer. I like to compose and I like to create sounds, but playing is something I never exelled in.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I just bought a tuner and a string winder, lol.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

I have a cowbell and a tambourine. A friend gave me an old, POS Jackson guitar with three strings.

Yeah, I think I should get some percussion instruments - they might be within my current budget.

(would love that Arturia collection, but it would feel a bit weird/ironic to play on my little 25-key keyboard)
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Yeah, I think I should get some percussion instruments - they might be within my current budget.

(would love that Arturia collection, but it would feel a bit weird/ironic to play on my little 25-key keyboard)
    I have a M-Audio 88 weighted keyboard and an old 49-key keyboard standing in the corner.

In some ways the real deal may be to be prefered, but it's to expensive, to big and it doesn't have the possibility to use it with the computer. I like to compose and I like to create sounds, but playing is something I never exelled in.
    There are some great concepts implied in the last five posts. First, I understand why virtual synths (and all the other computer-based recording/arranging/sequencing programs) give so many cool and useful options.

Second, never underestimate the power of the most simple percussion instruments. Rhythm is...everything. It is the foundation of all music. Some of my most sublime moments have been delivered to me through simple percussion. One of my favorites is something I made myself. When an old, ethnic tambourine started to fall apart on me, I took two of the jingles, an old nail, and a Champagne cork and fashioned a simple mini-tambourine. I always took it with me to drum circles and jam sessions. The amount of techniques and subtle sounds that presented themselves to me never ceased to amaze me. Even just spinning the two jingles was musical. I have seen master percussionists floor audiences with simple things like that or with other simple instruments such as claves or a tiny hand drum.

And instruments like Vic2012's three string guitar can jolt complacent musicians out of their normal thinking patterns. Some of my breakthroughs have occured on "broken" instruments. (Mr. Eno knows a thing or two about the value of quirky or broken instruments).

Tuners and string winders? Valuable things...tuning is everything. A tuner that works for you is a must. My trusty old Korg is always close by (over a hundred strings on my hammered dulcimer and 54 strings on my hand-made psaltery make its importance clear).

And Rarebird, never let your mind or your lack of formal training or technique hold you back. The most simple melodies are often the best. A good idea overcomes any lack of technique.

Music is waiting inside all of us.
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 10-06-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Love it! Great points.

There are some great concepts implied in the last five posts. First, I understand why virtual synths (and all the other computer-based recording/arranging/sequencing programs) give so many cool and useful options.

Second, never underestimate the power of the most simple percussion instruments. Rhythm is...everything. It is the foundation of all music. Some of my most sublime moments have been delivered to me through simple percussion. One of my favorites is something I made myself. When an old, ethnic tambourine started to fall apart on me, I took two of the jingles, an old nail, and a Champagne cork and fashioned a simple mini-tambourine. I always took it with me to drum circles and jam sessions. The amount of techniques and subtle sounds that presented themselves to me never ceased to amaze me. Even just spinning the two jingles was musical. I have seen master percussionists floor audiences with simple things like that or with other simple instruments such as claves or a tiny hand drum.

And instruments like Vic2012's three string guitar can jolt complacent musicians out of their normal thinking patterns. Some of my breakthroughs have occured on "broken" instruments. (Mr. Eno knows a thing or two about the value of quirky or broken instruments).

Tuners and string winders? Valuable things...tuning is everything. A tuner that works for you is a must. My trust old Korg is always close by (over a hundred strings on my hammered dulcimer and 54 strings on my hand-made psaltery make its importance clear).

And Rarebird, never let your mind or your lack of formal training or technique hold you back. The most simple melodies are often the best. A good idea overcomes any lack of technique.

Music is waiting inside all of us.

Since I had an Arturia account, they offered me that package for $250 when it came out. It was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Sure, a real Minimoog, Prophet, B3, etc. would be great, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on a hobby. I might pick up a less expensive VA, like a Studiologic Sledge 2.0, just to have something a little more hands-on to mess around with.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Since I had an Arturia account, they offered me that package for $250 when it came out. It was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Sure, a real Minimoog, Prophet, B3, etc. would be great, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on a hobby. I might pick up a less expensive VA, like a Studiologic Sledge 2.0, just to have something a little more hands-on to mess around with.
    Yesterday I experimented with the Hammond B3 from Arturia and compared it with the Nord Electro and I think the Arturia B3 sounds better, more organic I would say.

Yesterday I experimented with the Hammond B3 from Arturia and compared it with the Nord Electro and I think the Arturia B3 sounds better, more organic I would say.
    Wow. That is impressive.

I have a Nord C1 and love it's sound.

Wow. That is impressive.

I have a Nord C1 and love it's sound.
    I love my Nord as well. I suppose I should one day write something employing both the Nord Electro 2 and the Arturia B3 Hammond.

I love my Nord as well. I suppose I should one day write something employing both the Nord Electro 2 and the Arturia B3 Hammond.
    Absolutely!

Absolutely!
    Something like 'Eating organs'.
    Actually there is a Dutch group wit 2 Hammond players, named Orgel Vreten, which roughly translate as 'Eating Organs'.

NSD!

Roland JD-800!

Very, very excited!

For those who need a little gear envy here's Joe Bonamassa's collection of guitars and amps. I can't imagine the insurance premium on what he's got here.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Picked up a heavily-modified Peavey Triumph tube head and a Marshall 2x12 cab whilst I was at home in the UK over the Christmas period, intended as a stopgap for my Laney VC50 which is presently in storage. Must admit I was very pleased with it when I took it out for a blast with the improv trio I play in when at home. The clean channel was particularly good (no doubt in part due to its use of 6L6s as the power tubes), and took pedals vey well. Moreover, the two gain channels were MUCH better than I would usually associate with Peavey, which I suspect that was largely a result of having one gain stage removed as part of the amp's modifications. With the solid-state Blackstar dual OD pedal I have it effectively made for four stages of gain to work through. It was also pleasingly loud!!

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Picked up a heavily-modified Peavey Triumph tube head and a Marshall 2x12 cab whilst I was at home in the UK over the Christmas period, intended as a stopgap for my Laney VC50 which is presently in storage. Must admit I was very pleased with it when I took it out for a blast with the improv trio I play in when at home. The clean channel was particularly good (no doubt in part due to its use of 6L6s as the power tubes), and took pedals vey well. Moreover, the two gain channels were MUCH better than I would usually associate with Peavey, which I suspect that was largely a result of having one gain stage removed as part of the amp's modifications. With the solid-state Blackstar dual OD pedal I have it effectively made for four stages of gain to work through. It was also pleasingly loud!!
    Congrats! There is nothing like a new head and cab! Rock on!

Just scored this bass on Reverb for $600:

gfxaaveb4bldchrtopxm.jpgknbfi0t6gmd6rzuoogec.jpg

It's a Michael Tobias Design Kingston. Korean made, but is essentially their "entry-level boutique" bass. I have a Korean made Tobias Toby Pro five string that I've used for years, but in most music I play I don't really use the 5th string (I string it with a high C, I hate having a low B string). I'm also not such a fantastic fretless player that I won't benefit from the fret lines on this one, my Toby Pro is unlined.

The book on these is that they are great basses with somewhat weak pickups and preamp. An Aguliar Op-Amp supposedly fixes the preamp issue, and that's just $140, so I'll play with it for a while and see if I feel that is necessary. There are lots of drop-in options for these pickups too, so I'm not that worried about the electronics.

I'll A/B this and the Toby for a while and keep the one I wind up liking best. At $600, I figure I can turn this one around pretty easy if I don't like it, and that's probably near what I could get for the Toby.

Bill

Nice looking bass, Bill!

I'm looking to get rid of a bunch of stuff that I'm not using (something we've been trying to do with our furniture and such as well - we have way too much junk for two people). I really want to reduce clutter and simplify as much as possible. I have three electric guitars, an acoustic, and two basses...but I'm really having a hard time parting with any of those. Mostly I want to have a much smaller, lighter bass rig to save my back. I just started playing bass with an "acoustic" trio. They were two acoustic guitar players and they both sing (they have little acoustic guitar amps which have an extra channel for a vocal mic), but they both also play drums (they'll use a Yamaha Hipgig set). Could be fun and I like that it will be pleasant volume levels.

But I'm having a hell of a time getting any equipment to sell on Craigslist or Facebook. I'd like to finance any new equipment by selling off some unused stuff first.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Nice looking bass, Bill!

I'm looking to get rid of a bunch of stuff that I'm not using (something we've been trying to do with our furniture and such as well - we have way too much junk for two people). I really want to reduce clutter and simplify as much as possible. I have three electric guitars, an acoustic, and two basses...but I'm really having a hard time parting with any of those. Mostly I want to have a much smaller, lighter bass rig to save my back. I just started playing bass with an "acoustic" trio. They were two acoustic guitar players and they both sing (they have little acoustic guitar amps which have an extra channel for a vocal mic), but they both also play drums (they'll use a Yamaha Hipgig set). Could be fun and I like that it will be pleasant volume levels.

But I'm having a hell of a time getting any equipment to sell on Craigslist or Facebook. I'd like to finance any new equipment by selling off some unused stuff first.
    I hear you on the heavy equipment issue. That is one of the motivations for selling the Toby, it weighs 10.3 pounds. It wasn't as much of an issue when that was my "second" bass, but in this other band I'm playing in now, I find myself playing more fretless, and this MTD is only 7.5-8 pounds. I also use a Carvin MB10 with and extension 15" cabinet. These units are super light, and I have the flexibility of just taking the MB10 if I don't need a lot of volume, or hook up the extra 15" when I do. Very versatile, and they sound awesome.

As far as selling gear, I can't recommend Reverb.com more highly. I listed three items in December, and had two not sold on Craigslist I'm sure they'd have all been gone by now on Reverb (one item did sell on Reverb). They take a fraction of what e-Bay does, and their site is super easy to use and navigate.

Bill