Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

Yes, it's going to be interesting to see how well the tracking works. I don't have any real plans to use this in a live situation (since I don't officially play in any bands at the moment anyway), so if it works well enough for me to have fun with in my music room that's the main thing. But I went to see a couple friends of mine who have a duo over the weekend. It's drums and Chapman stick and they both do the occasional vocal. When they played Walking On The Moon (Police) I thought some guitar synth would be a perfect way to augment that. If I can just sit in once in a while I'd like to try that (if I can get comfortable with using the guitar synth), but I really don't want any band commitments.

I ordered the SY-1000 a couple weeks ago. Other than getting a notification of the order I've heard nothing else from the retailer. I'm sure they're extra busy this time of year anyway. But I'm not expecting this unit for a few more weeks. I saw one retailer had published a date of February 24th. I've only wanted something like this for about 35 years (since seeing Holdsworth), so I guess I should be able to handle a few more weeks.

Edit: The instruction manual is now available: https://www.boss.info/global/support...-c84bbff79755/
    <sig out of order>

Oh man! I added THE most exciting things to my Studio...patchbays!! I am soooooo excited.

Well, I am being facetious. While they are necessary, they are the most boring, non-sexy device that can be purchased. But they sure help save time.

Recently I discovered some handy functions with Arturia Analog Lab, that is part of the V instruments. I used to think it was mainly a soundmachine with the factory-sounds of the V instruments, with some limited possibilities to change things a bit, so not really an addition to the V instruments, but I allready had discovered one could combine 2 sounds, either layering them, or using them on seperate parts of the keyboard. I discovered one can also add effects to the sounds, which can not always be done with the V instruments themselves. Besides there is the option to make a list of sounds, even with different instruments, to change them with program-change messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Oh man! I added THE most exciting things to my Studio...patchbays!! I am soooooo excited.

Well, I am being facetious. While they are necessary, they are the most boring, non-sexy device that can be purchased. But they sure help save time.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Recently I discovered some handy functions with Arturia Analog Lab, that is part of the V instruments. I used to think it was mainly a soundmachine with the factory-sounds of the V instruments, with some limited possibilities to change things a bit, so not really an addition to the V instruments, but I allready had discovered one could combine 2 sounds, either layering them, or using them on seperate parts of the keyboard. I discovered one can also add effects to the sounds, which can not always be done with the V instruments themselves. Besides there is the option to make a list of sounds, even with different instruments, to change them with program-change messages.
    New toys within previously owned toys.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    New toys within previously owned toys.
    Indeed, though I suppose at least part of the new fuctions are the result of some updates.

Just a moment of spam, my ex condition Korg Kronos 2 bought new from Sweetwater in Nov 2018 is up on ebay for $2250 + $75 shipping.(sorry US only)
    Also listed a excellent condition Arturia Minibrute analog synth $175+$15 shipping.
    The Kronos is definitely a desert island synth/workstation if there ever was.
    Since my wife retired last May, I'm downsizing my studio.

Message me for links:

You may return to our regular scheduled programming.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 12-29-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

My wife is a HUGE Smashing Pumpkins fan.
    And she likes to encourage my guitar hobby. Based on something she read Corgan talking about, she bought me an Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress flanger/chorus pedal for Christmas.

She didn't realize I already have 2 chorus pedals and a flanger on my pedal board, as well as a multi-effects pedal, JamUp, etc.,.1 so I thought I might return it for something else.

But it's a new pedal and it was calling to me to try it. So now I have it hooked to my Yamaha THR10X and enjoy the hell out of it. She knows me better than I do, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    My wife is a HUGE Smashing Pumpkins fan.
    And she likes to encourage my guitar hobby. Based on something she read Corgan talking about, she bought me an Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress flanger/chorus pedal for Christmas.

She didn't realize I already have 2 chorus pedals and a flanger on my pedal board, as well as a multi-effects pedal, JamUp, etc.,.1 so I thought I might return it for something else.

But it's a new pedal and it was calling to me to try it. So now I have it hooked to my Yamaha THR10X and enjoy the hell out of it. She knows me better than I do, I guess.
    Very cool! I love how that all turned out.

I find that well-designed pedals are often unique. There is a reason that many players have 2 to 4 different versions of the same flavor. Sometimes, even within one designer, their are multiple reverbs, multiple flangers, etc. They can all be different enough to have.

Does one need zillions of pedals? No. But the more the merrier!

Very cool! I love how that all turned out.

I find that well-designed pedals are often unique. There is a reason that many players have 2 to 4 different versions of the same flavor. Sometimes, even within one designer, their are multiple reverbs, multiple flangers, etc. They can all be different enough to have.

Does one need zillions of pedals? No. But the more the merrier!
    True!
    Tone City makes how many overdrive pedals?

Grabbed a Digitech Polara last week. I enjoy reverb and wanted something more than just in-amp wet/dry. It's a blast, and I've been enjoying sitting with it, just picking my way through notes and chords and hearing them in all of the varied ways the pedal allows.
    I find myself reverting to playing a lazy version of Link Wray's "Rumble" on the Halo setting a lot.

I had a welcome party for the patchbay I added to my studio last year
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I had a welcome party for the patchbay I added to my studio last year
    ...otherwise it feels left out.

So what are you running through it? Synths only? Effects?

Oh, I use it for all sorts of things...I route synths, tracks, wonky noisy things...back and forth through effects loops and other things mostly.

It's totally a maintenance add, but it made a HUGE difference in terms of workflow.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Oh, I use it for all sorts of things...I route synths, tracks, wonky noisy things...back and forth through effects loops and other things mostly.

It's totally a maintenance add, but it made a HUGE difference in terms of workflow.
    I am still working through the logic of it all but will mostly route synths (of course) and the effects into mine so that I can minimize the re-patching I do currently when i need to use different effects with different mixers/submixers.

Nice little guitar pedal

^^^ Nice. Way too complex for me though.

Interesting little device...What kinda guitar is that?

That's a Reverend guitar, probably a Six gun, or a slight variant of that with the Tele bridge pickup. They're made in Ohio. I owned one that was almost identical to this guitar call the Spy, which had three lipstick tube pickups. At the time, the body was made similarly to a Danelectro, with layers of Masonite sandwiching some other material in between. Now I think they're made of wood, Korina I think. Sometimes wish I'd kept the Spy, they're super rare now, but it didn't sound or play all that great really, and I was much happier when I moved to my Strat, which I still have and likely always will.

That Earthquaker box seems to be emulating the old Eventide harmonizer that Brian May used back in the 70s.

Bill

I have been considering buying the BOSS VE8 acoustic guitar and vocal processor for my gigs. Some people have been saying I need to just stick to live music and dont use backing tracks (which I love, and is the only way for me to do my originals, without boring people with just acoustic guitar parts and no backing vocals) I try to mix it up so uts a good variety of full backing, acoustic only and originals - Keep things interesting.

Anyway. I could probably back off some of my backing tracks and replace them with using this harmony vocal generator, but isnt that just as bad as a backing track? maybe just a tad less sluttish. But I just dont know how well it really works. anyone used it before? I will not use the loops function, as it increases the length of the songs and kind of makes everything seem "loopish" (what a surprise).

Still 300 bucks for some improved quality on straight acoustic songs, like "behind blue eyes", "Rocket Man" and 'Carefree Highway" (others too) May be worth it, but I've bought a lot of crap for my show and have wound up using just a tiny part of the gear, trying to simplify my show.

I do see that you have to turn harmonies on and off manually, some other vocalizers just allow you to hold a button down when you want harmonies, and take your foot off when you dont want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srw6GmCFQcI

In Brave Pursuit, I use a Boss VE-20, which is a simpler model than the VE-8. I use it for occasional harmonies that other band members can't cover, and use some of the effects on occasion.

The unit works well for what it is and what I need it for. It's more limited in terms of harmonies because it won't respond to a plugged in guitar, but I play bass so don't really need that, and I just program a harmony in the key I need for the occasional songs I need them. It works. It doesn't sound super natural, but in a loud R&R show, that's not such a big deal.

The VE-8 is far more sophisticated and can probably do a lot more and likely sounds better. Where I think this until will either work or not for you is in the harmony tracking, and the unit's ability to respond to the guitar chords. Our guitarist had another vocal processor that allowed you to plug in a guitar. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes the harmony you want isn't a simple 3rd, or whatever, within your chord, so the unit produced some weird harmonies, and eventually we just gave up on the pedal because it was so inconsistent. It was easier to just pick a key, but that has limitations too.

If you're used to singing with backing tracks that have the harmonies, this will be a totally different experience. One way or another, you'll have to toggle between harmony and no harmony, which is a tap dance I've had to learn and one I sometimes screw up with humiliating results. So there will be a learning curve, and I think you'll find some limitations in certain circumstances. Whether the easier setup and other features you might gain is worth the trade-off is hard to determine, you'd almost need to play around with it before you can really tell if this is a solution. The best I can say is it will be very different, and it won't be a simple swap-out for what you've been doing; these units are a different beast.

I personally think for what you are doing, the backing tracks are fine. I'm not a purist, and honestly I tend to get a little bored at singer-songwriter gigs. I think the flexibility of the backing tracks would make your performance much more interesting, especially if you're doing multiple sets over an evening, not just for harmonies but also possibly for other instrumental backing. But you may find the vocal unit is just what you need to simplify. You'd really need to find one and try it out, and even if you get one I think it will take time to really figure out how to use it most effectively.

Good luck!

Bill

One thing I would do while you're at the store is try some Squier or Mexican Fender guitars.
    Update. I'm about a half a year away but I stopped at a reputable music store to look for something in the $600-750 range. I was impressed by the Squier Strat I was recommended. The guy in the store said with the new pickups it didn't have the "buzz" associated with single coil. I also played with a Epiphone Les Paul that felt great in my hands. The necks on these are somewhat smaller than my acoustic but only a little. I was looking for small amps and saw a little Katana that looked nice. When I go back to buy I'll have to plug it all in and see if I like the tone. I will need some kind of basic distortion pedal too because it ain't good unless it's filthy.

my future girlfriend I.jpg

my future girlfriend II.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That's a Reverend guitar, probably a Six gun.....I was much happier when I moved to my Strat,

Thanks. I can't blame you for moving to a Strat. I've always been happy with mine. Probably any type Fender is a good choice.
    I thought it looked like the Danelectro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Update. I'm about a half a year away but I stopped at a reputable music store to look for something in the $600-750 range. I was impressed by the Squier Strat I was recommended.
    If you just want to spend and can afford that much on a guitar, go for it. I don't think you'll regret it. But some of the cheaper guitars are good too. The cheaper guitars these days are made a lot better than in the past. If I know I'm not going to be playing in a band, or even if I was, there are cheaper ideas. I like this guy on YT. Here are a couple of his recent choices. The first being a cheaper Gibson type. On the more expensive side though I particularly like that purple Strat though he shows his old red knock off he'd been playing.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    If you just want to spend and can afford that much on a guitar, go for it. I don't think you'll regret it. But some of the cheaper guitars are good too. The cheaper guitars these days are made a lot better than in the past. If I know I'm not going to be playing in a band, or even if I was, there are cheaper ideas. I like this guy on YT. Here are a couple of his recent choices. The first being a cheaper Gibson type. On the more expensive side though I particularly like that purple Strat though he shows his old red knock off he'd been playing.
    I got one of those Epi SLs in yellow on a whim last year when I went in to buy a fuzz pedal. It's fun, but they're a crap shoot on QC. The one I got had good fret ends, but that sounds like a rarity. The pickups are alright, but I swapped them with a couple of Squier single coils I had in the parts box that were a little more powerful, and the tuners are absolute garbage. Had to be upgraded right away. The nut was way too high, needed some work.
    It's very light, and the metal used for the bridge is very soft and the strings have gouged some channels in it. The woods are also soft, so the bridge posts have a slight angle to them from the string tension. It does have a surprisingly resonant and long sustain.

They require a fair amount of upgrading to be enjoyable. So definitely not a good first guitar, it would cause most beginners to hate playing, having to deal with the cheapness.
    I'd only recommend the SL as a cheap knockaround, like a fifth or sixth guitar in the rack just for the hell of it. I'll probably give it away at some point.

But those new (re-new? ) Fender Leads are mighty appealing. The lime green SS is on my radar.

Jerjo, the 2020 Epiphone LPs are getting rave reviews. I'm anxious to try one.

My days of buying $99 guitars are over, unless its for a grandchild who thinks they might possibly might want to think about maybe considering learning to want a guitar... Ive bought several, and they always wind up in a closet or under a bed or worse yet back at my house. My first acoustic guitar was 35.00 at a pawn shop, I played the crap out of that guitar but these days, I seem to covet the guitars that are as much a work of art as an instrument. they dont have to be expensive, just not made by slaves in China, they seem more legit to me if the person building them is a skilled craftsman. The CNC built ones off am assembly line dont appeal to me. I like my guitars to have a history, not come from a petre dish. If a 99 dollar one will speak to me like a well made Taylor or Martin... then yeah. I generally dont take the time to give them a chance. I suppose its my loss.