Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

Banned
    ^^^
    I'll have to look up the Fishman - not familiar. I hesitated for many moons due to the expense of the handsonic but I feel now it is worth it - it's very flexible, has some great sounds and has the response and playability to make it a serious instrument IMO.

Q: Does anyone have any opinions or experience with the Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth? I've been pondering this as the next possible addition.
    Yes, I do, though I don't actually own one. It's a remarkable instrument as long as you respect the limitations of guitar synthesis in terms of its basic physics and remember that once you introduce synth sounds to the mix you're no longer simply playing the guitar. Playing lots of fast, staccato picking on a string sounds with a slow attack time, for example, is never going to sound like anything other than a complete sonic mush. I recall the sounds from the synth engine being most impressive, however, though I'm not a programmer, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to create your own. My only real objection to Roland guitar synths in general however, is that pig-ugly and ridiculously large lump of an adaptor you have to fit to your guitar (assuming you don't have one that has these electronics built-in) to access the synth itself. Surely if there was any piece of gear deserving of a re-design in light of technological progress in recent year's it's that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Yes, I do, though I don't actually own one. It's a remarkable instrument as long as you respect the limitations of guitar synthesis in terms of its basic physics and remember that once you introduce synth sounds to the mix you're no longer simply playing the guitar. Playing lots of fast, staccato picking on a string sounds with a slow attack time, for example, is never going to sound like anything other than a complete sonic mush. I recall the sounds from the synth engine being most impressive, however, though I'm not a programmer, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to create your own. My only real objection to Roland guitar synths in general however, is that pig-ugly and ridiculously large lump of an adaptor you have to fit to your guitar (assuming you don't have one that has these electronics built-in) to access the synth itself. Surely if there was any piece of gear deserving of a re-design in light of technological progress in recent year's it's that.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yep I don't like that adapter and was even thinking of getting a Godin compatible guitar as the only electric I have right now is a variax - although that might be a sonically wild combination...

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    So my collection is nothing like the impressive stockpiles some of you guys have shared.

Guitar wise, until just last year: Yamaha Classical CG40 , Fender Strat and Carvin SC90 (Les Paul knockoff).

I had started with the classical and had never owned a true acoustic, looking to plug that hole, but also wanted something I could plug-in easily.

So after scoring a mini-windfall because I discovered a little website called unclaimed funds-an interesting sidetrack story I won't bore you all with the details of, other then to say everyone should at least give the site a try just in case you might have a little treasure trove out there somewheres....I used part of my score ($600) for this:

Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AG95

I could not be more thrilled with the way this baby performs and looks. Photo does not really do it justice, and yes it is a lefty.

I watched quite a few YT videos on the guitar before I took the plunge, and it was time well spent. To be able to just pick this guitar up and play it without plugging in, is just divine.

Kind of jury rigged my old acoustic case for it, but it works well. Just thought someone who might have an extra $5-600 around looking for a true affordable hollow body might be interested....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

That looks awesome. I've always wanted a guitar like that.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AG95

That's a lovely guitar, man - congrats!!

So a couple of gear updates. First off, I just bought this off of Reverb...

gzsw0rwf2jqwm0wmncvv.jpg

It's an early 90s Fender PB acoustic/Electric (PBAC). I love my custom Muckelroy Fretless, but there's a part of me that misses the good old Fender vibe. This has that, but also adds the piezo pickup, the one thing I've never tried on a bass, fretless or otherwise. This bass has had the piezo electronics upgraded with a Walter Harley PZP-1 preamp/buffer, which I think will be better than the stock electronics by a long shot. Apparently the bass is very clean for an early 90s model, and has no tummy cut, which oddly I prefer as I play the 51 Precision model and generally prefer Telecatsers feel to Strats, though my main guitar is a Strat.

Anyway, this is an experiment. I have no idea if it will displace the Muckelroy or just be an augmentation, but I saw this and just had to have it. At just under $1,000, I think I can largely get my money back if I decide to sell. It comes Thursday, and I'm chomping at the bit.

The other gear-related item is strings. The new PBAC is strung with tapewounds, which I generally dislike. So I was looking around for a flatwound substitute, and stumbled on the Ernie Ball 2814 Slinky Cobalt flats:

https://tinyurl.com/y8cdqavf

I bought a set intending them for the PBAC, but I couldn't resist and threw them on my Muckelroy. Holy crap, definitely the brightest set of flats I've ever encountered! I lost almost no "mwaw," and gained tremendously in presence and focus. I'm really digging these strings, particularly for fretless. I don't think I'd put them on my 51 P which I have strung with Fender flats and the bass sounds and feels great; the EBs are too bright for what I want from this bass. But these work really well if you want to roll off some brightness, overtones, and finger noise of rounds but don't want to sacrifice too much tone. Need to hear them with the band, but in my practice room, they sounded great today.

Now I just need to get another set for the PBAC.

Bill

Just picked this up, which I absolutely DID NOT NEED from Ebay, but I thought it looked nice and it was absurdly cheap. Allparts alder body, Warmoth neck, DiMarzio pickups, Kahler trem (locking nut not fitted, but included in the case). It needs a set-up, but it has a lovely, fat lump of a neck, which is the antithesis of most of my Ibanez's necks, so makes a nice change. I also ordered a custom set of Bare Knuckle Nailbomb pickups to drop into it (DiMarzios are fine, but BK's are in another league), which should arrive in about 10 days:

s-l1600.jpg

I'm also planning on selling my Ibanez Lukather whilst I'm at home over the summer, and giving my partsbin Thinline Telecaster to a friend who owned it before me. Finally, just because I appear to have more money than sense, it's also my intention to pick up a decent quality secondhand acoustic in the UK over the summer and take it back to China in September. At the moment, a used Gibson J50 still seems to be the preferred option, though if I can find one I can afford, I'd rather buy something from a British luthier.

Banned
    My latest acquisition.

Kora 1513e (2).jpg

Built to order from Kumbengo Koras in Colorado. it is an excellent instrument with a big beautiful warm mellow sound. It wasn't cheap but I'm very pleased with the results - rock solid build. I'm hoping to eventually incorporate this into recordings and experiment with alternate tunings. It also has a pickup to enable further experimentation and mischief.

Edit: forgot, after finally giving up on finding the matching 12-string for my Washbrun Woodstock, I also picked up a Takamine GJ72CE 12-string acoustic electric and I'm very happy with it. Plays great, intonation excellent and at ~$650 it is an amazing value.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 07-26-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    So a couple of gear updates. First off, I just bought this off of Reverb...

gzsw0rwf2jqwm0wmncvv.jpg

It's an early 90s Fender PB acoustic/Electric (PBAC). I love my custom Muckelroy Fretless, but there's a part of me that misses the good old Fender vibe. This has that, but also adds the piezo pickup, the one thing I've never tried on a bass, fretless or otherwise. This bass has had the piezo electronics upgraded with a Walter Harley PZP-1 preamp/buffer, which I think will be better than the stock electronics by a long shot. Apparently the bass is very clean for an early 90s model, and has no tummy cut, which oddly I prefer as I play the 51 Precision model and generally prefer Telecatsers feel to Strats, though my main guitar is a Strat.

Anyway, this is an experiment. I have no idea if it will displace the Muckelroy or just be an augmentation, but I saw this and just had to have it. At just under $1,000, I think I can largely get my money back if I decide to sell. It comes Thursday, and I'm chomping at the bit.

The other gear-related item is strings. The new PBAC is strung with tapewounds, which I generally dislike. So I was looking around for a flatwound substitute, and stumbled on the Ernie Ball 2814 Slinky Cobalt flats:

https://tinyurl.com/y8cdqavf

I bought a set intending them for the PBAC, but I couldn't resist and threw them on my Muckelroy. Holy crap, definitely the brightest set of flats I've ever encountered! I lost almost no "mwaw," and gained tremendously in presence and focus. I'm really digging these strings, particularly for fretless. I don't think I'd put them on my 51 P which I have strung with Fender flats and the bass sounds and feels great; the EBs are too bright for what I want from this bass. But these work really well if you want to roll off some brightness, overtones, and finger noise of rounds but don't want to sacrifice too much tone. Need to hear them with the band, but in my practice room, they sounded great today.

Now I just need to get another set for the PBAC.

Bill

Very cool!

My latest acquisitions have been smaller. I should be receiving a Sennheiser E602 II microphone today. I plan to use it for mic'ing my bass cabinet for recording purposes.

I also bought a DBX AFS2 feedback suppressor. We've used it in the band room and at one gig so far. I had struggled EQ-ing my bandmates' vocals. It was always muddy no matter how much bass and low mids I tried to cut out of his channel. While using the AFS2 I can turn the mics up much higher without them feeding back. Just backing off from the mic a few inches drastically reduces the proximity effect and eliminates the mud. Also, my friend does not have a loud singing voice, so he's no longer struggling to hear himself or trying to push too hard.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 07-26-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    <sig out of order>

Just picked up this Warm Audio WA76 limiter/compressor from Sweetwater last month.. haven't had time to test it yet, but soon, very very soon.
    Heck, I could just sit here and look at it for hours...lol
    WA76-0_1.jpg (click for larger image)

(I don't have an image hosting site to upload to or from)
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Just picked up this Warm Audio WA76 limiter/compressor from Sweetwater last month.. haven't had time to test it yet, but soon, very very soon.
    Heck, I could just sit here and look at it for hours...lol
    WA76-0_1.jpg (click for larger image)

(I don't have an image hosting site to upload to or from)
    Let us know what you think. I've had that in my Sweetwater wish list for months.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    My latest acquisition.

Kora 1513e (2).jpg

Built to order from Kumbengo Koras in Colorado. it is an excellent instrument with a big beautiful warm mellow sound. It wasn't cheap but I'm very pleased with the results - rock solid build. I'm hoping to eventually incorporate this into recordings and experiment with alternate tunings. It also has a pickup to enable further experimentation and mischief.

Edit: forgot, after finally giving up on finding the matching 12-string for my Washbrun Woodstock, I also picked up a Takamine GJ72CE 12-string acoustic electric and I'm very happy with it. Plays great, intonation excellent and at ~$650 it is an amazing value.
    WOW! Koras are amazing instruments! I have always always wanted to add it to my collection of non-western instruments. Congrats, B-Breath!

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Let us know what you think. I've had that in my Sweetwater wish list for months.
    I'll do that, but after exhausted research I think it's going to be a winner.
    I'm in the process of re-organizing my home studio, and going with a analog/hybrid setup. I picked up a Tascam 308B 8 channel mixer to use with my Fostex A8L/R
    and plan to do both digital(Cubase) and my analog. If the least I use the mixer because I love the warmth I get from it(no noticeable noise) and run it into my Focusrite audio interface.
    I recently picked up a used Lexicon PCM80 multi effects rack and am trying to run as much hardware as I can out of the box...

I love vintage gear, and I think if they put a VU meter on my electric toothbrush I would gladly pay an extra hundred for it..

Will let you know my thoughts on working with the WA76(mostly vocals and acoustic guitar).
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

My wife wanted to spend some money and get some equipment, so here's what we bought.

Used Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Black Cherry
    Gretsch-G2420 Streamliner Brooklyn Burst
    Fender Champion 40 amp
    Squire Jaguar short scale bass
    Fender Rumble 40 bass amp
    Yamaha FGX800 Cutaway acoustic

Pretty happy with this stuff but the Gretsch is a bit tubby in the bass. The Jaguar bass, and Yamaha acoustic are great guitars for the low price. And the Hellraiser is a great guitar if you like active pick-ups. Love the Rumble bass amp too.

Does anyone know if they make an acoustic 12 string in the half scale size? I have a baby Martin 6 string that is fantastic, but the other night, I was playing it wondering if they made a 12 string version. I have played the Martin live and had multiple people comment on how perfect it sounded - better than their $3K Martins! A 12 string half scale would truly be amazing if it was the same quality as my LX1E.

I found these on YT. The one with Dweezil Zappa is over my head. I can understand the Mike Stern one better.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Does anyone know if they make an acoustic 12 string in the half scale size? I have a baby Martin 6 string that is fantastic, but the other night, I was playing it wondering if they made a 12 string version. I have played the Martin live and had multiple people comment on how perfect it sounded - better than their $3K Martins! A 12 string half scale would truly be amazing if it was the same quality as my LX1E.
    Steve Howe has used a small sized 12 string guitar on I've Seen All Good People forever.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

$200. tube amp

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    $200. tube amp
    That's actually pretty tempting! Probably a low-risk way of getting into modding amps too.

My latest purchase is a Strymon Blue Sky reverb pedal. My Mini Rectifier 25 head has no reverb, so I played it completely dry for the last couple years, lol. I'm blown away with how good the Blue Sky makes pretty much everything I play on guitar sound better. And I haven't even dug into it very deeply, mostly only used existing presets with a couple of minor parameter tweaks.

I just bought some La Bella tapewound bass strings that should arrive any day now. Just thought I'd try something completely different for the fun of it.
    <sig out of order>

Two new purchases for me to report:

In China I bought myself a Custom Audio Electronics Wah, with a built-in MXR level boost (which I never use). Sounds absolutely amazing, and has really given my playing a lift as a result.

In the UK: I decided to significantly revamp my old US Strat that I have not used for many years. I'm not a fan of single-coil pickups, and the HSS configuration, with an SD Invader in the bridge, and two SCs of dubious origin, meant that this guitar has effectively been ignored, as I came to really dislike the pickups even though I've always really liked the guitar's neck and chunky body. Whilst I was at home at Chinese New Year, I therefore decided to have the bridge and neck pickups replaced by a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck and Jazz pair (both full-size HBs, which required some routing, as all the pickups are directly mounted into the body), and to have MOR York give it their deluxe set-up treatment. The result is a guitar transformed! I've always liked the HSH configuration, and the rebuild was great in breathing life into an old guitar. It was also MUCH cheaper than replacing it.
    Last edited by kid_runningfox; 03-11-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Two new purchases fro me to report:

In China I bought myself a Custom Audio Electronics Wah, with a built-in MXR level boost (which I never use). Sounds absolutely amazing, and has really given my playing a lift as a result.

In the UK: I decided to significantly revamp my old US Strat that I have not used for many years. I'm not a fan of single-coil pickups, and the HSS configuration, with an SD Invader in the bridge, and two SCs of dubious origin, meant that this guitar has effectively been ignored, as I came to really dislike the pickups even though I've always really liked the guitar's neck and chunky body. Whilst I was at home at Chinese New Year, I therefore decided to have the bridge and neck pickups replaced by a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck and Jazz pair (both full-size HBs, which required some routing, as all the pickups are directly mounted into the body), and to have MOR York give it their deluxe set-up treatment. The result is a guitar transformed! I've always liked the HSH configuration, and the rebuild was great in breathing life into an old guitar. It was also MUCH cheaper than replacing it.
    Cool. Always great to revitalize a less-than-stellar instrument.
    <sig out of order>

After much deliberation, I got a new bass last week. This is a Nash PB-63. For those who don't know, Nash makes replicas of vintage Fender (and other) instruments with different levels of relicing so they look and feel well-played and broken in. Philosophically, I'm not a great proponent of relicing, but when the rubber hits the road this bass played a zillion times better than its new counterparts, and was in a similar or identical price-point. So I bought the instrument that spoke to me. If it was new and had "Fender" on the headstock, I'd be thrilled, but it doesn't. And that doesn't bother me a bit.

This is a light relic in candy-apple red with a Lollar pickup and orange drop cap. It's sound is smooth and woody. I'm leaving it strung with rounds so it works with a pick. I already have two other Fenders with flats on them. I substituted the tort guard for the original white, which I'm not as fond of.

Bill

20190311_181216.jpg

That looks nice, Bill! I wasn't aware of Nash. I have been thinking about getting a Geddy Lee Jazz bass lately.
    <sig out of order>