Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Actually all the money I made selling off a few things is gone now, partly on my MTD, and then my wife just got a Nord Electro 5. She was due a new board, she's been on the Electro 1 since 2001 or 2002. It's served us well, but it was time for an upgrade. It arrived today, I assume she's at home playing with it now!

Bill
    Sweet! Would love to have such a toy around.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Feel free to doubt my experience! Personally, I am having a hard time reconciling the fact that some of the equipment I bought got rave reviews (the SansAmp as one example) but my experience is "meh". Makes me feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, which is why I'm trying to go back now and make sure I've covered all the extremes of the different variables (EQ settings, signal path options, etc.) to make sure I'm not missing anything that should be obvious. I'm not an expert or professional, only a part time hobbyist.
    LOL! I'd have to be there with you to hear what you're hearing and see what you're doing to diagnose any further. I'd say trust your ears. You know what you want to hear, and who gives a crap how well reviewed a piece of equipment is, or how expensive it is? If you can't make it work for you, then it doesn't work. Sounds like you're being reasonable diligent about checking some basics, which is probably smart. But don't doubt your ears, and try to find equipment that it isn't such a chore to get a good sound with.

Do others in your band have the same issues you do with the recordings? if so, do they have any suggestions? If not, does their happiness make you any happier?

Yeah, she's psyched, but the poor girl has been so busy she hasn't played with it much. We'll have some time this weekend. I haven't heard it at all yet.

Bill

Me too. I still do with the Electro 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Me too. I still do with the Electro 2
    I used to have a Korg 01/W for many years, but just didn't use it that much. I gave it to my niece who plays piano.
    <sig out of order>

I used to have a Korg 01/W for many years, but just didn't use it that much. I gave it to my niece who plays piano.
    I have a bit more than that.
    Keys:
    Nord Electro 2
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

Modules:
    Nord G2 Engine
    Akai Z4 Sampler
    Yamaha TX81Z
    Kawai K1rII
    Proteus/1
    Waldorf Blofeld

And on the computer
    Arturia V Collection

Not in use
    Roland System 100 model 101 synthesizer
    Target TRG-MKI49

G2 Engine! Nice! Expanded?
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    G2 Engine! Nice! Expanded?
    No, alas not.

I had an expanded G1 rack for a while, but sold it to look for a G2 Engine. However the investment went elsewhere. I'd still get one if the price is right... Fabulous device!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I have a bit more than that.
    Keys:
    Nord Electro 2
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

Modules:
    Nord G2 Engine
    Akai Z4 Sampler
    Yamaha TX81Z
    Kawai K1rII
    Proteus/1
    Waldorf Blofeld

And on the computer
    Arturia V Collection

Not in use
    Roland System 100 model 101 synthesizer
    Target TRG-MKI49

Wow! That's a lot of nice toys.
    <sig out of order>

Wow! That's a lot of nice toys.
    Yes, music is my first love and it probably will be my last (quoting John Miles)

Yes, music is my first love and it probably will be my last (quoting John Miles)
    Absolutely!
    <sig out of order>

Finally got to hear a bit of the Electro 5 last night. Organ sounds are a huge improvement on this board compared to the Electro 1. Acoustic pianos as well. Rhodes piano is oddly a bit weaker, though we haven't tweaked with it that much yet, and there is possibly a better sample on their site for download. I'm sure we'll get that worked out.

But I was floored by the organ sounds, and they are much smoother than on the Electro 1, which gets a bit shrill in the higher registers.

Bill

Another thing I like about the Electro 5 (and 4) is the presence of physical drawbar faders. I didn't much care for the virtual drawbars of the Electro 3, 2 or 1.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Another thing I like about the Electro 5 (and 4) is the presence of physical drawbar faders. I didn't much care for the virtual drawbars of the Electro 3, 2 or 1.
    Yeah, that is cool, and is a real incentive to play around with the drawbars in real time to see how they effect the sound. it was definitely more a chore to do that on the Electro 1 (and 2 and 3).

My wife got the Rhodes sound cranked up, so the board is really starting to sound good. The organs continue to blow us both away.

Bill

Yeah, that is cool, and is a real incentive to play around with the drawbars in real time to see how they effect the sound. it was definitely more a chore to do that on the Electro 1 (and 2 and 3).

My wife got the Rhodes sound cranked up, so the board is really starting to sound good. The organs continue to blow us both away.

Bill
    I've got the virtual on my C1. My boss' daughter has the C2D with the "real" drawbars.

Just bought a 12 string! I have been missing my old Jay Turser 12 string electric, so I did a little search and found this rather lovely thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqJeXE_njQ

(thats not me in the vid, by the way)

I picked up the Tele version as it seems to be a nice thing. People seem to be impressed with the overall quality. I'll only use it while recording. I'll try to remember to update this once It comes in. I paid 175 with free shipping.

Cozart Guitars... I'm giving them a try

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Just bought a 12 string! I have been missing my old Jay Turser 12 string electric, so I did a little search and found this rather lovely thing...

I picked up the Tele version as it seems to be a nice thing. People seem to be impressed with the overall quality. I'll only use it while recording. I'll try to remember to update this once It comes in. I paid 175 with free shipping.

Very cool! An electric 12 has been on my list for a very long time but I have not made it happen yet.
    How is the intonation?
    Congrats!

For that price, you can't really go wrong. I've seen some Cozarts on Reverb, and they certainly look cool. You've got to wonder when something is that cheap, but the reviews are generally positive. I think occasionally someone gets a total dud, but that seems to be the exception. If the neck is solid and the body is made of decent wood, then everything else is up-gradable, should you choose to do so. Definitely keep us posted on how you like it.

I took a chance on a fairly cheap guitar recently, a PT Berger Rodeo King (http://www.ptbergerguitars.com/rodeo-king, I got the one in transparent red), and for the most part I was extremely pleased. Some of the pickguard cosmetics were a little "rough," shall we say, but the basic body and neck are extraordinary, and those Telsa VR-60 pickups are freaking unbelievable! Those are $95 pickups each retail on a guitar I paid about $400 for! The guitar sounds and plays great, and scratches my Tele itch and then some.

So I'm not opposed to trying a cheap instrument. I hope yours works out!

Bill

For that price, you can't really go wrong. I've seen some Cozarts on Reverb, and they certainly look cool. You've got to wonder when something is that cheap, but the reviews are generally positive. I think occasionally someone gets a total dud, but that seems to be the exception. If the neck is solid and the body is made of decent wood, then everything else is up-gradable, should you choose to do so. Definitely keep us posted on how you like it.

I took a chance on a fairly cheap guitar recently, a PT Berger Rodeo King (http://www.ptbergerguitars.com/rodeo-king, I got the one in transparent red), and for the most part I was extremely pleased. Some of the pickguard cosmetics were a little "rough," shall we say, but the basic body and neck are extraordinary, and those Telsa VR-60 pickups are freaking unbelievable! Those are $95 pickups each retail on a guitar I paid about $400 for! The guitar sounds and plays great, and scratches my Tele itch and then some.

So I'm not opposed to trying a cheap instrument. I hope yours works out!

Bill
    Well, after all, isn't that THE main issue when researching and buying an instrument? Will an inexpensive instrument be a solid, long-lasting asset or will it be a disappointment that needs to be sold/traded/given away at a loss so that one can get the instrument that we should have bought from the start?

Many times I have bought an inexpensive instrument and then realized it just doesn't give me the sound I need. That wastes money in the long run.
    Yet I do have a number of inexpensive instruments that were just perfect for me at the time and remain so to this day.

But, when I have waited and saved for a better instrument (instead of getting a cheaper version), I have never, ever gotten rid of the piece.

It really is a tough choice sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Well, after all, isn't that THE main issue when researching and buying an instrument? Will an inexpensive instrument be a solid, long-lasting asset or will it be a disappointment that needs to be sold/traded/given away at a loss so that one can get the instrument that we should have bought from the start?
    Sometimes. There are times when I'm simply not looking at cheap instruments, I want something nice. And likewise times I'm just not looking to pay a lot, but want something serviceable (or a "great bang for the buck" if you get lucky). So I think it's the times when you really are torn between spending more to get something "really nice," or spending less to get something that may be largely just as good that this quandary comes into play. Will the American Strat at $1,200-$1,400 be that much better for me than the Mexican Strat for $400-500? Sometimes that decision is easy, sometimes not so much.

Generally I agree with you, cheaper instruments are "stepping stones" to nicer things, but I've gotten rid of my share of nice guitars. And I've had my fairly cheap Tobias Toby fretless for 14-15 years, so sometimes you really do get lucky. The cheap instruments are also great if you're not really sure you want something. Often you'll let the cheap item go, but not get a more expensive replacement. So they have their place.

But when you're certain, and it's worth the scratch to you, nicer instruments to tend to have greater staying power.

Bill

Sometimes. There are times when I'm simply not looking at cheap instruments, I want something nice. And likewise times I'm just not looking to pay a lot, but want something serviceable (or a "great bang for the buck" if you get lucky). So I think it's the times when you really are torn between spending more to get something "really nice," or spending less to get something that may be largely just as good that this quandary comes into play. Will the American Strat at $1,200-$1,400 be that much better for me than the Mexican Strat for $400-500? Sometimes that decision is easy, sometimes not so much.

Generally I agree with you, cheaper instruments are "stepping stones" to nicer things, but I've gotten rid of my share of nice guitars. And I've had my fairly cheap Tobias Toby fretless for 14-15 years, so sometimes you really do get lucky. The cheap instruments are also great if you're not really sure you want something. Often you'll let the cheap item go, but not get a more expensive replacement. So they have their place.

But when you're certain, and it's worth the scratch to you, nicer instruments to tend to have greater staying power.

Bill
    Well stated, Bill.

I bought the 12 string mostly because I had a song in my head that requires one. the reason I got rid of my Turser, was that it was not that durable, and it had started to rust(no kidding). The bridge was bending because of the string tension. If this one doesnt work out - I havent received it yet. I'll record the song and then, if its pretty, it will wind up on my studio wall, where I'll take it down once or twice a year. If the wood is decent, I will probably just upgrade the hardware, so it doesnt rust. I would love to have a Rick 12 string, and I have a friend who would probably loan his to me, but that is way out of my budget at least for now. any guitar over 2 grand is just not in the cards. at 175, this is not a real risk. I'll probably be able to get the song done, and possibly never have to buy another 12 string. I may not "need" one. but I can probably resell it at a bit of a loss, or just hang on to it. I have been wanting a Tele, but I have strat, so this is a happy compromise. I will definitely let y'all know if its worth it - How can it not be?

I bought the 12 string mostly because I had a song in my head that requires one. the reason I got rid of my Turser, was that it was not that durable, and it had started to rust(no kidding). The bridge was bending because of the string tension. If this one doesnt work out - I havent received it yet. I'll record the song and then, if its pretty, it will wind up on my studio wall, where I'll take it down once or twice a year. If the wood is decent, I will probably just upgrade the hardware, so it doesnt rust. I would love to have a Rick 12 string, and I have a friend who would probably loan his to me, but that is way out of my budget at least for now. any guitar over 2 grand is just not in the cards. at 175, this is not a real risk. I'll probably be able to get the song done, and possibly never have to buy another 12 string. I may not "need" one. but I can probably resell it at a bit of a loss, or just hang on to it. I have been wanting a Tele, but I have strat, so this is a happy compromise. I will definitely let y'all know if its worth it - How can it not be?
    Sound logic!
    Let us know, Yodel.

Bill
    That is one fine-looking guitar - congratulations!!

Bill
    On this note, it's worth pointing out that, of all the (sometimes very expensive) guitars I own, the one I most often come back to is my old (1985) Ibanez Roadstar RS530. I bought this for about $275 in 2001, and have subsequently changed pretty much all of the hardware - to the point where about the only original aspects of it left are the body and the neck. It's now an absolutely brilliant instrument - sounds incredible (it has a Duncan Allan Holdsworth in the bridge and an Ibanez USA F2 in the neck), plays amazingly well, with a truly butter-like action, and is incredibly stable tuning wise (it's on its third trem system, which is a Kahler, following on from the original Ibanez Pro Rocker and a Wilkinson). I'm sure some would argue that I would have been better off just buying a more expensive instrument from the off, and saving all of the money I've spent on tinkering and modifications over the years. This misses a number of significant points: 1. The whole on this guitar is much greater than the sum of the parts, something which has been reached by a long process of what one might call 'methodical trial and error; 2. It's indisputably my guitar, reflecting my own personal tonal and playing priorities and how these have changed over the years; 3. I've had an awful lot of (expensive) fun getting there!; 4. I would have been much more reluctant to make the same number of alterations to a more expensive instrument that would have had a serious effect on its potential resale value. I have absolutely no issue, however with tweaking a cheap, but fundamentally sound guitar, however. And I love what I now have.