Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kraftwerk Live in 2015 - US tickets onsale tomorrow (some presales today)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Anyone know the presale code for Boston?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I thought the presale code for most/all of the shows was 'robots'.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Well, the guys aren't the point. You might as well say there was no reason to see Robert Fripp or John Entwistle play live.
    Baloney. I have tremendously enjoyed watching Fripp play on several occasions. Entwistle too for that matter, though sadly only on video. Those two are dexterous virtuoso musicians. I don't need performers to jump around the stage but to watch those two guys spin their magic with their fingers on the fretboard is amazing.

But I can potentially picture what Battema is suggesting, that with Kraftwerk the sounds and light show are enough to make for a compelling musical experience.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I have tremendously enjoyed watching Fripp play on several occasions. Entwistle too for that matter, though sadly only on video. Those two are dexterous virtuoso musicians. I don't need performers to jump around the stage but to watch those two guys spin their magic with their fingers on the fretboard is amazing.
    That's really what I meant too. These guys are also spinning magic with their hands to create the whole experience in real time. Fair enough if it's not up your alley as much as people playing actual instruments, but it's not something to dismiss because they happen to stand static while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It isn't for everyone, but for those of us who do like it? It's pretty goddamned epic.
    Wow. Heavy, man!

Of course, Milli Vanilli fans said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    These guys are also spinning magic with their hands
    Yes, it's mesmerizing how long he can hold his hand on that iPad.

Oh no! His thumb twiched.

You either like Kraftwerk, or you don't. It's that simple. I saw them on their first US tour (after many years) back in the late '90s. Great show, great sound, great music.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Yes, it's mesmerizing how long he can hold his hand on that iPad.
    I'm not really a huge Kraftwerk fan, but I think it's actually pretty cool to see the variety of devices they're using to produce their sounds. Yes, there's the touch-surface technique on the iPads, but also ribbon controllers, and the Lanchpad-type matrices, laptops, and yes, actual keyboards. All in the service of an electronic music composition that was originally produced with completely different technology.

And damned if ol' Ralf isn't actually boogieing in place a little there.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You either like Kraftwerk, or you don't. It's that simple. I saw them on their first US tour (after many years) back in the late '90s. Great show, great sound, great music.
    I like Kraftwerk

back when they WERE Kraftwerk.

------

I saw them on their first US tour, for Autobahn, and, also Computer World.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Great show, great sound, great music.
    And, it was the same with Jobson. Plus, the musicians actually had to play their instruments.

And, yet, Jobson was roasted on this forum for daring to charge $75.

I like Kraftwerk

back when they WERE Kraftwerk.

------

I saw them on their first US tour, for Autobahn, and, also Computer World.
    Fantastic. And how different do those two particular albums sound?

A: Like night and day.

They're "still" Kraftwerk.

And, it was the same with Jobson. Plus, the musicians actually had to play their instruments.
    Mangos and kiwis, dude.

I hate the venue they are playing in Philly but this is a not miss show!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I hate the venue they are playing in Philly
    Agreed. And a fair chunk of change to stand the entire night.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    But I can potentially picture what Battema is suggesting, that with Kraftwerk the sounds and light show are enough to make for a compelling musical experience.
    You know, for me personally it is like the experience I had going to see Roger Waters perform The Wall a few years back. Even though at the core, my love of PF music is what got me in the door, the high price for the ticket wasn't so I could closely watch Waters (or anyone else in his band) nail it on his bass. It was to see that whole multimedia experience, to hear, feel and see that music in a unique sort of context that the album alone can't really capture. I mean, for a good part of the show the band wasn't even *visible* onstage to watch.

I like Waters vs Kraftwerk better than Kraftwerk vs. Jobson/Fripp/Entwistle, because in the case of players like Jobson & Fripp they are considered amazing/accomplished players. There are people in the crowd who really WANT to watch their hands closely while they play. At shows like that, strong visual effects are actually considered distractions rather than enhancements. I also like The Wall vs. Kraftwerk because the visuals entertain despite the # of "original players" on the stage...

Now, whether you can appreciate the full experience that Kraftwerk is offering vs Waters is another story...for example, The Wall is a concept album with a sort of narrative to help drive the visuals. Kraftwerk's shows do not have a narrative to follow...theirs are more simply visual enhancements of the songs themselves. For me, they work.

You know...I saw Jobson 3 times in the past 5 years; once as UKZ and twice as UK. I am pretty sure I complained about the ticket price, but it wasn't specifically because *I* wouldn't go see him...but all three times I saw him, the attendance got WAY smaller. The last show had less than 20 people. If Jobson couldn't get more than 2 dozen in a room as moderately-sized as the Soundstage in Baltimore then yes...either his ticket prices are unreasonable, or his marketing/advertising is being poorly managed, or his booking agent royally failed. Or some combo of all three.

On the flip side, Kraftwerk plays multiple nights in larger venues and repeatedly sells out, even with higher ticket $$. Goblin was the same deal, to a certain degree so was Magma. To me, that represents smart booking, strong advertising, and a price point that is in line with expected demand. And while I very much like Jobson as a musician/writer, his ability to manage his work as a business falls far short.

But all of that is armchair-style coaching...at the end of the day, the two are totally different players and this is a Kraftwerk thread so back to the kling and the klang, robots!!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I think Kraftwerk will be playing in Utrecht, before the start of the Tour de France.

No Florian, no Smörgåsbord.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

WTF how could they not play NYC? NYC loves them--maybe they will add a date--I mean nothing is close to me--and I love them.

Their Minimum Maximum DVD is excellent and wanted to see them ever since---they did a very special performance in the museum of Modern Art---and it was sold out before I could do anything about it---their performance is an art piece.
    Last edited by 2steves; 05-09-2015 at 11:01 PM.

I just bought a ticket to the Philadelphia Electric Factory show during October 2015. I hate the venue but I am going anyway. Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

Library Jon

Wow. Heavy, man!

Of course, Milli Vanilli fans said the same thing.
    I am more amazed on how much smug dickness you can fit into 2 replies. Glad you are here to enlighten us poor souls on what is real.

On a slightly related note: Is there any news about the first three albums? Will they ever be released on CD? The first one is especially good…
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Seems to have fallen into limbo again. I have Ralf und Florian on vinyl at home, but haven't heard the other two (or Organization for that matter).

Ralf should just toss 'em to Esoteric and let them knock 'em out on their behalf (spoken as someone with literally ZERO knowledge of what would be involved in making that a reality).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Seems to have fallen into limbo again. I have Ralf und Florian on vinyl at home, but haven't heard the other two (or Organization for that matter).
    The first two are much more experimental and "Krautrocky" than anything else they did. Ralf und Florian was their first move towards a more conventionally pop-based approach and is my favorite of their albums (along with the obvious epic "Autobahn").

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I just bought a ticket to the Philadelphia Electric Factory show during October 2015. I hate the venue but I am going anyway. Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

Library Jon
    I feel the same, but I can't miss this show so I bought a ticket.